New GTI + delivery

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Re: New GTI + delivery

Post by barrywi »

Call me old fashioned but after getting my second car on “Hire Purchase” for three years and still paying it off when it was rusting away( 1960’s) I resolved never again to buy anything until I could afford it. I know I am lucky in that I have had a job all my life, but about ten years ago I stopped using credit cards as well ,and now just use a debit card. It makes me feel all warm inside when I see a positive balance in my current account at the end of the month and know that a forgotten credit card purchase is not going to wipe it out.
I know others in the family who live their financial lives to the hilt and always max out their credit cards, but it is not for me. Even interest free credit has lost its attraction for the same reasons, and with interest rates so low you cannot even put the money in a savings account for any benefit.
Try it guys, once you get over the initial shock of not being able to buy anything for a couple of months it has much to recommend it.
Riding along the motorway I sometimes wonder how so many people can afford brand new Range Rovers, well obviously they cannot, the cars all belong to lease companies.
Old Git or Gti lecture over!
New-gti-guy
New
Drives: 1.6

Post by New-gti-guy »

Agree
:-)
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I agree as well!

Always a but though, I seem to keep a credit card account for paying off my Paypal bills - but tend to predict my spend and preload monthly, maybe a bit bizarre for some, but there you go! My bank's transfer to the credit card company got lost in the ether once though and I trusted that it would have gone through, that really did hurt, though I forced my credit card company to take the hit and absorb the interest costs and demanded that my bank did a paper chase and report back to me, they didn't and just stuffed some "hush" money into my bank account, that did not work and just made me even more annoyed so we worked out a suitable extra top up that would leave me satisfied, though I never got an answer to who/why/where my transfer of cash went astray, I'd doubt if my bank bothered putting in the time, as usual for a company overflowing with cash, they just handed some to me from their "just in case" funds. The second time that happened I went for the bank's nuts and got a hand out from the credit card company instead, again no explanation, now not wanting any more grief/worry, I started preloading that credit card account.

Making your money make money does not seem to be too easy without taking risks, keeping it stable in line with rising costs is as good as it gets for some of us.

Time to return to topic maybe?
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Post by barrywi »

Good idea, my Gti does around 35 mpg on short cold start trips and about 45 mpg doing 65 on the motorways. No doubt I could get it up to 50 if I cruised at a lower speed. The figures have improved as my car approaches about 1600 miles and the engine loosens up. I do not think I would want more performance than the car already has by chipping the engine. More than swift enough for an old Gti Git.
Nora
Bronze Member
Drives: A polo

Post by Nora »

Let’s all hope Santa gives us all a special present this Xmas ...... “a build week” :D
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

I spoke to dealer this morning and they suprised me. She said that my lhd gti with manual is on way and they will contact me within next 10 days. Not sure if i should believe that :-D
BaraBen
New
Drives: Deep Black GTI+

Post by BaraBen »

I was going to say exactly the same about getting the +
As I believe all the extras really complete the car and make it quite special. We went for pcp @ £256 pm and £1500 deposit. This was with 6% interest and I’m sure vw are offering 3.9% right now
Got the deal through autoebid with a discount of just under 3k altogether
albob
Bronze Member
Drives: BlueGT

Post by albob »

Dark_cze wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:51 am I spoke to dealer this morning and they suprised me. She said that my lhd gti with manual is on way and they will contact me within next 10 days. Not sure if i should believe that :-D
That was quick !! ::
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

BaraBen wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:30 am I was going to say exactly the same about getting the +
As I believe all the extras really complete the car and make it quite special. We went for pcp @ £256 pm and £1500 deposit. This was with 6% interest and I’m sure vw are offering 3.9% right now
I'm paying that for a standard GTI with a £2500 deposit. I'm guessing my dealer isn't going to match that offer but not sure if I could cancel at this point. Don't feel like I'm getting a good deal.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

S_94 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:01 am
BaraBen wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:30 am I was going to say exactly the same about getting the +
I'm paying that for a standard GTI with a £2500 deposit. I'm guessing my dealer isn't going to match that offer but not sure if I could cancel at this point. Don't feel like I'm getting a good deal.
I think you've got little or no discount in there. DTD are offering £2700 off list, and you're paying £1000 more deposit than Baraben and same monthlies for a car retailing about £1650 less - making you £2650 worse off. You could walk and request any deposit already paid back (If build date is not yet locked in then the dealership can cancel the order). You would be right at the back of the queue again.

Always negotiate on the car's cost, not "how much can you afford per month?". If the price is right, the monthlies will be right.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Yeah completely my fault. First time I've ever purchased a car this way so I've been naive I guess.

Going to call the dealer today and see if any sort of deal/price change can be offered. If not I might just walk away. Don't know much about that autoebid site but I'll look into it.
BaraBen
New

Post by BaraBen »

Autoebid just fix the price then matchmake you with a main dealer who is your contact going forward. National flatbed delivery is also included in the price.
By the way I don’t work for them! Just giving credit where credit is due, jumped the queue too as we only ordered late March then got delivery in mid July
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Or alternatively go to drivethedeal where it always seems the best price of the brokers.

If you pm me I'll give you my contact at the Listers Group - about £2700 off list and they trailer your car to you in the price agreed. Doing direct for the second car and they marginally beat the DTD price.

So what have you given as deposit already? If your build week isn't locked in yet, they should not have cause to keep it
Nora
Bronze Member
Drives: A polo

Post by Nora »

I originally looked at these car brokers, I even went along to a local dealer who offered me a good price via these brokers, but when I looked closer at the numbers, what they discounted on the car, they more than made up for it in what they where charging for extras. So armed with the quote in writing I went to see another local dealer as a cash buyer and showed them the figures offered by the dealer on carwow etc, iirc they got within £60 of the price I was offer for the new car at the spec I wanted but overall where far cheaper when other extras where factored in
BaraBen
New

Post by BaraBen »

Ah ours came direct from listers too. Didn’t add any extras besides deep black paint, which was standard VW price but pretty sure all the options cost the same as they did on the configurator. If ordering again would probably add heated seats and climate as the manual a/c is a pain in the ass. The pro nav thing looks cool but you can have google maps now through CarPlay so paying for nav just seems a massive waste of money.
Overall the broker we used was way better than the local alternative, but saying that they couldn’t beat the price my local dealer came up with for my new Bmw so I don’t think any one method is always the cheapest way so best shop around when spending this much money.