New GTI + delivery

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
alandbess
Bronze Member
Drives: Scirocco

Re: New GTI + delivery

Post by alandbess »

barrywi wrote:Where does the train got from and to? I assumed the cars would be driven to some sort of checking facility at Emden dock?
Also what is IronX
Iron X, purple rain, devils blood....
They're all iron contamination remover. It dissolves the particles of metals that have embedded in your paintwork.
Well, actually it dissolves the rust not the metal, allowing the metal to come off the paint safely.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Cadwest
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Cadwest »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:09 pm
barton3112 wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:40 pm I have just been told that my Gti is in Germany, how long does it normally take to get to a UK dealer once the car is there?
About 2 weeks, maybe 3 if they're not prioritising. Presumed breakdown - a few days waiting to go to Emden on the train, a few days wait in Emden to get the QC checks done, a few days back to port, 2 to 7 days wait to get on a ship, 24 hours sailing time to the UK, 2 to 7 days to move from UK port to dealership.

Presuming mine is in the same ship as Barry and Cadwest (all BW23 cars).

That Emden train embeds a lot of iron fallout in the paint from the tracks - and unlike an Emden built Golf, these Polos will be making 2 trips on those tracks - get some IronX or similar before you apply any waxes/sealants yourself.
Already got the ironX mate and I’m having my car professionally detailed by the chap I use, I will add it to the list I’ve made along with windscreen decontamination, cheers for the info.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

No more news about the discount/compensation mentioned for being forced into having an 18 plate registration?
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Post by barrywi »

But what about this fiendish rusty train? Where does it go to and from?
Will go to the dealer tomorrow for a full catchup / debrief.....if he is not off or on holiday.
Cadwest
Bronze Member

Post by Cadwest »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:39 pm No more news about the discount/compensation mentioned for being forced into having an 18 plate registration?
Don’t think I’ll qualify for the compensation scheme as I told them I needed the car ASAP as the wife needs an auto due to worsening knee condition. Spoke to them last week and I’ve got to contact them this weekend and they are going to provide an auto for her till our car is ready for pickup, they had promised the new car by this weekend at the latest.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Not convinced by this Iron X stuff. If it is PH neutral how can it dissolve iron. It would need to be an acid to do that. Call me cynical but it sounds like something made up for a problem that is not there. Having had quite a few cars over my lifetime I have never had a problem with impregnation of paint by rust. My VW UP has been parked outside my house for four years in all weathers and after a good wash with water and washing up liquid it looks as good as new every time. I think I have polished it twice but it did not look much better than just washing it.
I think this stuff has been invented by the people who try to sell us extremely expensive hi fi cables that sound just the same as cheaper ones. I know someone who has spent thousands of pounds on rare copper and gold inter connects and only he can tell the difference( because he spent a fortune on them!)
Of course our UP was red not black which shows up any hint of dirt.
Now I have your attention ,when do the cars go on a train after they get to Emden?
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

I do use Rain X though. Just put some on the glass side windows and water just globulates straight off and it lasts quite well.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

barrywi wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:51 pm But what about this fiendish rusty train? Where does it go to and from?
Will go to the dealer tomorrow for a full catchup / debrief.....if he is not off or on holiday.
It goes from Emden docks to Wolfsburg. My Golf R was covered in iron fallout judging by the amiunt if purple juice coming off the car before it got 2 coats og G-techniq C2V3 sealant.

Rusty Iron fallout looks worst on white cars. Think of the fallout as spelks half stuck in the paint. You might get a fair bit off in the first wash, snapping the loose ends off, but leaving the ends stuck in the paint.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

What happens to gtis dropped off at Vigo and Zeebrugge and other countries Ipresume they must be checked in another way or maybe not at all?
Cadwest
Bronze Member

Post by Cadwest »

barrywi wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:58 pm I do use Rain X though. Just put some on the glass side windows and water just globulates straight off and it lasts quite well.
I used it on my brothers new fiesta st line in white when he got it a couple of months ago, I could see numerous spots on his bonnet and was amazed when we applied it, half the bonnet was purple. Cleaned it off, washed and polished it and could not detect any further spots.
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

barrywi wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:08 pm What happens to gtis dropped off at Vigo and Zeebrugge and other countries Ipresume they must be checked in another way or maybe not at all?
user monkeyhanger reported this, but I guess it should have been a quote. Here is the text:

"How sure are you that SA built Polos are getting dropped off there?

They might be picking up even more locally built cars or dropping cars off that are QC tested or partially built, but not necessarily VWs or orher VAG marques. The ships that serve Emden to Tyne (City of Paris/Rome/Rotterdam) for VW/Audi pick up Sunderland built Nissans at Tyne and drop them off in Finland and Rotterdam for their local markets.

These carriers aren't exclusively for one marque, or even exclusively for cars. Some ships take cars to Australia and bring back Bauxite."
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Thanks iichel! I meant to post.
barton3112
New
Drives: Polo GTI

Post by barton3112 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:09 pm
barton3112 wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:40 pm I have just been told that my Gti is in Germany, how long does it normally take to get to a UK dealer once the car is there?
About 2 weeks, maybe 3 if they're not prioritising. Presumed breakdown - a few days waiting to go to Emden on the train, a few days wait in Emden to get the QC checks done, a few days back to port, 2 to 7 days wait to get on a ship, 24 hours sailing time to the UK, 2 to 7 days to move from UK port to dealership.

Presuming mine is in the same ship as Barry and Cadwest (all BW23 cars).

That Emden train embeds a lot of iron fallout in the paint from the tracks - and unlike an Emden built Golf, these Polos will be making 2 trips on those tracks - get some IronX or similar before you apply any waxes/sealants yourself.
Thanks for the detailed answer monkeyhanger!
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

See the point now about picking up multiple models and delivering them around the world. Just hope the Grand Onion gets a move on, passing the Canaries soon I hope then on to Vigo by the 13 th ( Friday 13 th....oh eck.)
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Honestly some of this is getting to sound like someone has been reading this off the back of a box of cornflakes!

Transporter ships as used specifically for transporting self propelled vehicles of all types - they are designed to enable the "units" to be driven on and then driven off via external and internal ramps, bauxite carriers are just big tubs with a hold that gets filled up with bauxite - poured in and sucked out.

Wolfsburg - I really can't see any logic to filling a production facility with models built elsewhere just so that they can get checked, as far as I know, Emden has two purposes, firstly it is the main build plant for Passats, but it does have a large dockland area where cars coming into Northern Europe are mustered and probably the same for cars leaving Northern Europe for other parts of the world. Wolfsburg is the main build plant for Golfs.

So, why would VW want to move cars around in the way that has been described, I just can't see that happening, what needs to be done will be done in Emden and I'd think that the only QC control type of tasks being involved will be "carrier to carrier" checks for damage incurred in transit, why why,why on earth does anyone things that QC is being carried out on a product that has been subjected to internal QC before leaving the factory, it is still VW that is responsible for these cars.