New GTI + delivery

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Re: New GTI + delivery

Post by barrywi »

Also re headlights ,I had mine lifted a slight amount as I was unhappy about them cutting off too sharply. It was during the free 1000 mile checkover and I only asked for the drivers side to be lifted , but I think they did both.
I can now see further ahead on dipped and have had no flashing for them being too high so far.
It would be useful to know 100% where the adjuster screw is so I can do it myself.
MattHGR
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI+

Post by MattHGR »

barrywi wrote:Also re headlights ,I had mine lifted a slight amount as I was unhappy about them cutting off too sharply. It was during the free 1000 mile checkover and I only asked for the drivers side to be lifted , but I think they did both.
I can now see further ahead on dipped and have had no flashing for them being too high so far.
It would be useful to know 100% where the adjuster screw is so I can do it myself.
I had a look into this. There is a plastic screw that is easy to reach (apparently) and it will lift or lower the light.
However, with adaptive lights you have to use vcds to get the car to learn the new position ?? Sounds complicated to me
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

OK, so much for progress!
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I'd think that the issue here is that you need to check that the car is sitting at its "normal" attitude, and for that you would need to interrogate the lighting controller, then when the car is adjusted, if necessary to make sure that it is in the "normal" or level attitude, the usual manual basic adjusters can be moved while checking that the light pattern/aim is still within MOT accepted limits. I'd expect that this basic adjustment is made by altering the position of the complete headlight assembly within the car's holding frame.

I'd think that the basic requirements for checking that the car is sitting at its normal attitude would involve having it parked on certified level area of workshop floor, loaded with two passenger weights in the front seats, checking the wheel gap at each wheel arch, then allowing the lighting controller to see recognise this situation as being "normal" - then setting the headlight aim and range using the basic adjusting screws.

Edit:- normally the owners handbook gives an indication of the screws used to retain the headlight assembly in the car and will indicate that messing with the other normally nylon fixtures/adjusters is not a good idea without having the correct aim/range equipment.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Well it was adjusted at a VW main dealer so I assume they would have to use the correct equipment and procedures to adjust my lights for legal reasons. They left a message saying that they had been raised to a legal maximum level so obviously I am not going to mess around any more without the proper equipment that they have. At least now I can see a reasonable distance ahead in the dark.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I'm sure they will have done this job correctly, I'd doubt if all the MOT stations load up cars with dummy weights when they check headlight aim/range.
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:40 pm Discovered that the passenger seat has a "drawer" for storage under the base, more of an open plastic box bolted to the frame, and a likely source of rattles if utilised. Will have to see tomorrow if it accommodates the handbook wallet.
Decided to give this a go and happy to find that it’s a perfect fit for the manual. Although there’s now more space for my CD cases to slide around in the glovebox now I’ve moved the manual to under the passenger seat. 😂 #oldschool.
Attachments
5AECE792-4D49-467F-9023-0A0CC2734B2F.jpeg
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Post by peeceeuk »

I did not cancel but I did call my dealer.
Left a voicemail to call me back and unusually did not get one.
A further prompt to call was being overtaken by a blue one here in Maidenhead earlier today which left me wondering why I have not heard anything about my order for some time.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

roywolfey wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:48 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:40 pm Discovered that the passenger seat has a "drawer" for storage under the base, more of an open plastic box bolted to the frame, and a likely source of rattles if utilised. Will have to see tomorrow if it accommodates the handbook wallet.
Decided to give this a go and happy to find that it’s a perfect fit for the manual. Although there’s now more space for my CD cases to slide around in the glovebox now I’ve moved the manual to under the passenger seat. 😂 #oldschool.
I found it to be a tight squeeze for the manual pack's wallet, so not wanting to crease anything, I left it out.
Troyj369
New
Drives: Polo gti

Post by Troyj369 »

No idea what to believe now but I had a call on Friday saying the build week for most Gti is November the 26th and be ready by end of January but way things have been I can’t see that happening
allye
Getting There!
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by allye »

Just come of live chat and they confirm:

"I can see that production of the GTI Plus Engine commences again on the week commencing the 22nd of October. This would mean that the you should receive an estimated build week around this time."

Believe it when I see it!!!!
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

Spoke to my dealer who is happy to give me my deposit back should I wish to cancel, as completely understandable. They are frustrated by it all too.
I will not wait until my estimated build date of April next year. A full 15 months or so after order then you can add delivery times. This date should move forward, so with production resuming next week let's see if any firm build dates start coming through. Need a date then I can decide what to do.
If I don't proceed with this order then I'm leaving GTIs behind for awhile. I'm considering the new Ford Focus Vignale. Something completely different. Good driver reviews and loads of kit. Like the heads up display. [emoji6] Interior quality very much improved. Think I read Ford were far ahead than VW with WLTP as had planned properly.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

After giving it much thought, I've made enquiries about chopping in the Golf R for a second GTI+.

I wish the colour choice was more of a dilemma than it is - the choice is dire for the GTI, I already have a flash red GTI+, so it's got to be a different colour. I don't like Limestone Grey, the Reef blue doesn't seem a GTI colour to me, and I don't think the Polo shape suits Black as much as the Golf does, with the black trim not standing out against black paint (all my opinion - yours may differ!), leaving white - with Brescias.

If available for the GTI, reflex Silver or a proper metallic grey that always looks grey would've been my first choice over even flash red.

My supplying dealer has offered up £2742 saving on list and a very good price for the Golf R - £17500 as of this month, minus £300 per month until delivery. Hoping for a March 19 plate delivery. Considering I paid £28k for the R, for it to have lost £10500 in 3.5 years, it's done well in the residuals. Thanks to VW penny pinching, it's not looking as tidy as it should - the rear vented discs rusted up at the hubs immediately, the guards behind the discs are rusty (all cosmetic but very visible behind the slender spokes of the Pretoria wheels), and the manual gearbox has been absolutely crap. All my VWs before the Polo have been manual, and all have been precise and smooth, except the R's. VW say it's characteristic of the box used on the R to handle 300ps, but it is frequently difficult to engage certain gears in certain scenarios (warm or cold), some parts don't seem to have aged well considering the car has done just over 26k miles (stalks are very slack through wear, rattles the Polo doesn't have)but the acceleration and faultless traction have been amazing. It'll be by far the longest I have kept a new car. I'll be sorry to see it go, but do enjoy the Polo more.

After digging around the trim to fit the dashcams a few weeks ago, the Polo seems better screwed together, believe it or not.

Going to place my order tomorrow.
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

Always wondered why the Polo GTIs over the years have had a limited colour choice. Is it to infer some kind of exclusivity .....it doesn't ?!

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Dan34
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Post by Dan34 »

Really wish they did reflex silver on the GTI.