New GTI + delivery

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
alandbess
Bronze Member
Drives: Scirocco

Re: New GTI + delivery

Post by alandbess »

Just had this DM via Twitter from VW South Africa......
Interesting.....Image

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

loadswine
New
Drives: Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Post by loadswine »

Interesting stuff. :wink:
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Post by barrywi »

Looks like the left hand of VW and the right hand are not talking to each other!
Good news today in that our UP went in for its 4 year MOT, agreed by the salesman to be free if Polo delayed. So got free MOT, free overall check, free wash and vac inside and out plus two cups of free coffee and I managed to steal a Volkswagen Driver mag which had short tests of the three VW GTIs. I will return it...probably.
George2702
New
Drives: Polo GTI+ DSG 2018

Post by George2702 »

i can further confirm that the factory is apparently not shutting down in SA. Spoke to two different web assistants in on the VW SA Website and they oth said its not shutting down ...
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

barrywi wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 2:41 pmI managed to steal a Volkswagen Driver mag which had short tests of the three VW GTIs. I will return it...probably.
Yes but try nicking a VW brochure, rarer than new Polos. A mate once drove me to pick up my car following a service and afterwards showed me he'd 'acquired' a boxed VW Beetle-shaped computer mouse. I'm pretty sure he didn't return it....
MrLems
New
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by MrLems »

mike sel wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 5:45 am
MrLems wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 7:30 pm
Velodyne1200 wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 9:53 pm MrLems:

Nice one - what spec did you end up going for? I had to compromise by getting a standard car in White. It still looks good though - can't wait until Friday.
GTI+ Pure white with black roof pack
18" Brescia alloys
Winter pack
Rear view camera
Discover navigation pack

You must be one of the first to collect a GTI - enjoy it!
Very nice spec. I know your going enjoy, so working on your build week of next week you are looking at an end July collection, assuming it is that are you going to collect end July or wait until the 68 plate? I guess either way the car will be the same age personally I would just collect but I know the newest plate means a lot to some people. I don't think it effects the eventual sales value ? does anyone know if resale values are greater for a car that is the same age just on a 68 plate as opposed to one registered 4 weeks earlier on a 18 plate?
Not sure if you're referring to me but mine has already been build and is in transit and it actually should arrive in the UK late tomorrow! Regarding waiting for the new plates, I'm not too concerned about the resale value, price difference will be negligible and I'd rather just drive the car and enjoy it. Plus my left knee can't cope using a manual anymore, I need the DSG
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Looking ahead ,in case mine gets built starting Monday, I cannot see any vehicle transport ships anywhere near Port Elizabeth, lets hope they are not shutting down for two months like the VW Polo factory is/isn't depending on who you believe.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

I finally got my paperwork through from the dealership for my broker-arranged order for the GTI+, and now, the tracking number supplied actually works - it must have finally been assigned to me so that I can actually start stalking my car's progress.

According to the tracker, my car will be built 11th June, which is BW24 if i'm not mistaken. Just over a week ago, VW UK said that my car was BW23. As i'm looking to pick up 1st Sept (or receive trailer delivery on that date), a week's delay to build is not a concern for me. For someone looking to pick up ASAP though, this may mean that build times are slipping a little. Anyone else seeing later BW than they'd thought they were getting?

As I have had no face-to-face contact with the supplying dealership, nor will I as they are arranging delivery to my door, the contracts have some interesting caveats. Under the distance selling regs, I could actually give the car back within 14 days of receiving it, with no penalty, save for paying for its safe return to the dealership. Seems a lot of risk on the dealership's part if people actually exercise that right to return it.

I also notice that service packs have shot up in price. On my Golf R, I have paid £15.99 over 36 months (£575.64) for a 4 year service plan (2 oil changes and 2 major services), excluding Haldex oil change at 40k miles/4 years and does not include 1st MOT. The Polo pack is looking a lot more than that (£16.49 x 48 months = £791.52 inc 1st MOT) - barely cheaper than the dealership's current rates. Update: My mistake, for that money, the Polo would also be getting maintenance and another 3 years of roadside assistance, so maybe a set of rear brake discs in there (my R's rear brake discs are almost worn out at 24k miles, despite me being a light braker).
rooneys
New
Drives: Golf gtd

Post by rooneys »

loadswine wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 2:03 pm Interesting stuff. :wink:
was on VW web chat today, confirmed that the polo factory is closed for 2 months....
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Curiouser and curiouser! I think I will wake up in a minute or two and this will have been a dream.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

barrywi wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:17 pm Curiouser and curiouser! I think I will wake up in a minute or two and this will have been a dream.
Said Alice, couldn't resist. A 2 month shut down makes no sense, I've known folk work in factories which never shut down except for essential maintenence or a complete refitt of machinery, equipment, etc. Following 'diesel gate' one would think if anything VW would work overtime to ensure new Polos were readily available, seen as their new ad campaign seems to be kicking in, ironically showing an empty showroom....
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Yes, and she fell down a Rabbit( Golf in the US) hole and that is how I feel now about this situation . Maybe Putin and Trump are orchestrating this with fake and counter -fake information . Or is the Polo being secretly made in North Korea in those tunnels and now he has blown them up ( allegedly!) no more Polos will come out of the Holos? Sorry , can't sleep and trying to cheer myself up ( No alcohol has been consumed in writing this post)
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

barrywi wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 2:00 am Yes, and she fell down a Rabbit( Golf in the US) hole and that is how I feel now about this situation . Maybe Putin and Trump are orchestrating this with fake and counter -fake information . Or is the Polo being secretly made in North Korea in those tunnels and now he has blown them up ( allegedly!) no more Polos will come out of the Holos? Sorry , can't sleep and trying to cheer myself up ( No alcohol has been consumed in writing this post)
I went for the Polo , ordered late January. I see the dealer today to complete the paper work (car is in Sheerness and has been from the 15th so must be close to being delivered to the dealer) I should be given a collection date today. If I had experienced further delays (like the 42 weeks others have been reporting) I was getting ready to drive 300 mtrs up the road from the VW dealer into the Audi dealer and buy a Q2. its about the same size as the Polo just a bit longer. but as it is my Polo seems like its going to be in my hands in the a few days time.
loadswine
New
Drives: Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Post by loadswine »

rooneys wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:59 pm
loadswine wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 2:03 pm Interesting stuff. :wink:
was on VW web chat today, confirmed that the polo factory is closed for 2 months....
The information sources from VW don't exactly give us confidence that they are concerned about making and delivering our cars, do they!
alandbess
Bronze Member
Drives: Scirocco

Post by alandbess »

I've just emailed the CEO of VWUK again asking for some clarification on the "plant closure"
My feelings are that VWUK is like a second class citizen in the overall VW hierarchy

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk