New GTI + delivery

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

New GTI + delivery

Post by barrywi »

The dealer told me today that my ordered car is scheduled to be built in week 21, late May. Not sure what the time is after that when I will get it. My UP , which will be traded in is due for its mot and insurance renewal in June so I hope I can get the new car before then. Perhaps I can pressure the VW garage to let me borrow a car to fill the gap.
Has anyone actually got one yet?
Dan34
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Re: New GTI + delivery

Post by Dan34 »

Waiting for a confirmed build week here but I only placed my order the other week. When did you first place your order?
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

About two weeks ago.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Just remembered that the salesman had already ordered on for his own use as ademostrator and said that we could have his delivery slot and he would re order another. Luckily his choice of spec was what we wanted , though I think you can change the details of your order until it gets confirmed.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Spoken to my friendly VW man today. He says they wil pay for the MOT on my current car if the delivery is late, they will honour the price I negotiated and suggested if the delivery is in June or later most insurance companies would extend my wifes insurance for a month or two for a pro rata fee if needed. We would go for the free VW insurance then.
He said the Polo Gti is made in South Africa but then goes to Germany for inspection before uk delivery, so I am not sure how long that would take. I just hope they do not have a coup in South Africa in the meantime!!
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Spoken to my friendly VW man today. He says they wil pay for the MOT on my current car if the delivery is late, they will honour the price I negotiated and suggested if the delivery is in June or later most insurance companies would extend my wifes insurance for a month or two for a pro rata fee if needed. We would go for the free VW insurance then.
He said the Polo Gti is made in South Africa but then goes to Germany for inspection before uk delivery, so I am not sure how long that would take. I just hope they do not have a coup in South Africa in the meantime!! Oh and there are no Gti + models in the uk yet.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

barrywi wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:01 pm He said the Polo Gti is made in South Africa but then goes to Germany for inspection before uk delivery, so I am not sure how long that would take.
Interesting.

http://www.carmag.co.za/news_post/vw-fi ... ilt-in-sa/

All variants of the previous Polo GTI model were built in Spain. According to VW website, cars built in South Africa take around 6 weeks to reach the UK dealer.
chris.o'mahoney
New
Drives: Polo GTI plus in order

Post by chris.o'mahoney »

Read somewhere boat trip alone from South Africa to Europe is 18 days.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Lets hope the car is worth the wait for us. No plan B. At least it should be one of the first to arrive in the country.
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

Was hoping they'd make it in Spain.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

johnpolo2 wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:08 am Was hoping they'd make it in Spain.

Any reason? Wherever they’re built they’re built using the same processes and parts and to the same quality standards. The only variable is the workforce, but they should also have been trained to the same standard as VW Spanish production and assembly workers.

I can remember on one of the Golf forums which has predominantly USA members that they didn’t like the idea of Golfs for the US market being built in Mexico, rather than built and imported from Germany. They were worried about possible build quality issues, but based on forum discussions, the Mexican built cars are just as well built as the German built ones; some forum members have said the Mexican build quality seems better!
Last edited by SRGTD on Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

I presume labour costs is the main reason, but South Africa is a long way from Europe.
Interestingly ( for him!)Jeremy Corbyn was arguing a few days ago for the UK to remain in the customs union of the eu. One reason he gave was that in the construction process of the Mini the cars crossed the Channel four times ( I think) backwards and forwards before it was ready to drive. In my logical ( sort of) mind that would be a reason for it to be built in one place and save all the transport costs.
Mind you most of the stuff we use these days in Europe comes from China so maybe sea transport costs are not high?
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

SRGTD wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:39 am
johnpolo2 wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:08 am Was hoping they'd make it in Spain.

Any reason? Wherever they’re built they’re built using the same processes and parts and to the same quality standards. The only variable is the workforce, but they should also have been trained to the same standard as VW Spanish production and assembly workers.

I can remember on one of the Golf forums which has predominantly USA members that they didn’t like the idea of Golfs for the US market being built in Mexico, rather than built and imported from Germany. They were worried about possible build quality issues, but based on forum discussions, the Mexican built cars are just as well built as the German built ones; some forum members have said the Mexican build quality seems better!

All my other 3 door GTI models were built in Spain so logistically and timeline wise I groaned at the SA start point.
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

chris.o'mahoney wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:13 pm Read somewhere boat trip alone from South Africa to Europe is 18 days.
Not a GTI but I ordered an SEL which is also made in SA. the assembly line doe not open until 2nd April. My build date is W/C 9 April.
I am told the actual shipping via Germany to UK is 6 weeks from manufacture. So without delays I am expecting late may collection but not depending on it. I would have thought there will be glitches and delays on a new assembly line. so Who really knows in the end.

I am waiting to hear the someone who was given a build date actually had it built that week then when they get delivery.

I tacked a vehicle carrier from Port Elizabeth to Emden and it actually took 3 weeks via vigo Spain. So 2 weeks to do quality check etc then transfer to uk. Got to b 6 weeks min
joeknight94
New
Drives: Polo GTI+ DSG

Post by joeknight94 »

Just checked today on our system at work and my GTI + has now entered commission status 3 meaning it has begun assembly! eeeek! So excited, will keep you guys posted on it's progress!