New GTI + delivery

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Thommy
New
Drives: Blue GT

Re: New GTI + delivery

Post by Thommy »

Hi all,

I have decided to cancel as I don’t want to wait u TIL September.

My question is if I cancel what are the chances I will get deposit back? I haven’t signed anything and surely mr having to wait so long is a good enough reason?

Cheers
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

Thommy wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:28 pm Hi all,

My question is if I cancel what are the chances I will get deposit back? I haven’t signed anything and surely mr having to wait so long is a good enough reason?

Cheers
At the risk of turning the forum into my own (!): I can well understand that, I'm not the most patient person myself, depends on the "terms & conditions" whether you can any deposit is refunded,they may well try to persuade using it to choose another model.

Whilst contemplating my actions re: poss new Polo I noticed on VW site: "New Polo SEL From £18,185 / Golf S From £18,235, Golf SE From £19,325". It's worth considering whether a new Polo SEL is worth only £1140 less than a Golf SE, before any poss discounts. Space and other issues considered, what with the gettin' ridiculous poss 16+ week wait for delivery, the Golf enters into the picture a bit. Were the Mk 8 Golf be available now it would be a much easier decision for me....
Last edited by stevereeves on Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George2702
New
Drives: Polo GTI+ DSG 2018

Post by George2702 »

Hi all, just spoke to a helpful assistant on the live chat on the VW website ...

They said they've taken the polo gti+ off the configurator because they've stopped taking orders due to exceeding its target and hitting 42 weeks lead time.

Hope this helps some people!
Thommy
New

Post by Thommy »

Cheers
Getting a bit worried from what I have read online.

Am I able to cancel my order regardless of getting deposit back? I haven’t even seen yet alone signed an order form and have only paid 300 deposit so far.

As long as I can actually cancel I can take the hit on the £300 I have just read conflicting stuff online.

Any help will be appreciated
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Thommy wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:01 pm

Cheers

Am I able to cancel my order regardless of getting deposit back? I haven’t even seen yet alone signed an order form and have only paid 300 deposit so far.

As long as I can actually cancel I can take the hit on the £300 I have just read conflicting stuff online.

IMO, It’s unusual to not sign an order form and be given a copy of the form when you order a new car. When I’ve ordered cars in the past, I’ve always been given a copy of the order form that I’ve signed, which is evidence of the contract I’ve entered into with the dealer to supply the car to the specification I’ve ordered, details of which should be on the order form.

The order form is an important document as it sets out the terms and conditions of that contract, including the rights and obligations of both you and the dealer, including cancellation rights, and what happens to the deposit you’ve paid in the event of cancellation.

If you weren’t thinking of cancelling, and the car was delivered to you but wasn’t the spec was wrong, if you don’t have an order form, what evidence do you have to prove the car supplied is the wrong spec?

Hopefully the dealer gave you a receipt for the deposit you paid?

Before cancelling, I’d approach your dealer and ask why you’ve not been given a copy of the order form and request a copy. You’ll then see from the terms and conditions on the form what your rights and obligations are as far as cancellation is concerned.

Putting aside the issue of the order form, I’d have though that with the GTI+ being so much in demand, they’ll have no problems selling it when it arrives at the dealership, so they won’t be stuck with a car they can’t sell.

Keep us updated on how you get on.
Thommy
New

Post by Thommy »

SRGTD wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:54 am
Thommy wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:01 pm

Cheers

IMO, It’s unusual to not sign an order form and be given a copy of the form when you order a new car. When I’ve ordered cars in the past, I’ve always been given a copy of the order form that I’ve signed, which is evidence of the contract I’ve entered into with the dealer to supply the car to the specification I’ve ordered, details of which should be on the order form.

The order form is an important document as it sets out the terms and conditions of that contract, including the rights and obligations of both you and the dealer, including cancellation rights, and what happens to the deposit you’ve paid in the event of cancellation.

If you weren’t thinking of cancelling, and the car was delivered to you but wasn’t the spec was wrong, if you don’t have an order form, what evidence do you have to prove the car supplied is the wrong spec?

Hopefully the dealer gave you a receipt for the deposit you paid?

Before cancelling, I’d approach your dealer and ask why you’ve not been given a copy of the order form and request a copy. You’ll then see from the terms and conditions on the form what your rights and obligations are as far as cancellation is concerned.

Putting aside the issue of the order form, I’d have though that with the GTI+ being so much in demand, they’ll have no problems selling it when it arrives at the dealership, so they won’t be stuck with a car they can’t sell.

Keep us updated on how you get on.
I have just cancelled. It went fine and the dealer is refunding deposit. I will just look again next year.
alandbess
Bronze Member
Drives: Scirocco

Post by alandbess »

I was told today that it was a 38 week lead time. When i ordered mine in March it was 20 weeks. I asked the question as to whether I still had the 20 week wait or whether i would be waiting 38 weeks and the chappie i was speaking to wouldn't commit to anything. He just kept saying that everything was subject to change. I've tried speaking to my retailer, but they've failed to call me back. I don't mind 20 weeks, as at least I'll get a little summer driving out of it, but I don't want it to be nearly double the lead time. That'll take me more or less into next year....
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

It's all quite pathetic. It was an all new model when I had the 2010 GTI and that took 10 weeks from order to delivery. The 2015 updated model took around 13 weeks . At this stage last time my car was on its way to the dealer, this time I don't even have a build date. European build last time.
It can't have helped eliminating the Spanish production line and VW SA are obviously running around like a load of headless chickens. I just hope that we don't get a load of lemons full of production problems.
VW management saying to one another, ' we didn't expect many people to actually want one'. Hopeless!

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

johnpolo2 wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:06 am It's all quite pathetic. It was an all new model when I had the 2010 GTI and that took 10 weeks from order to delivery. The 2015 updated model took around 13 weeks . At this stage last time my car was on its way to the dealer, this time I don't even have a build date. European build last time.
It can't have helped eliminating the Spanish production line and VW SA are obviously running around like a load of headless chickens. I just hope that we don't get a load of lemons full of production problems.
VW management saying to one another, ' we didn't expect many people to actually want one'. Hopeless!

Hopeless sums it up pretty well John. Lots of factors conspiring against timely production and delivery.

With it’s high standard spec, good reviews, and VW throwing incentives at it to attract buyers; free insurance (now pulled) and a £500 finance deposit contribution, the GTI+ was always going to be in high demand - couldn’t VW see this? Interestingly, Drive the Deal state on their website that the £500 finance contribution doesn’t apply to the GTI and GTI+, although VW website still show the £500 deposit contribution applying to these two models. I don’t think pulling the incentives will do much reduce demand and clear the backlog though, when there are cheap loans available from high street banks, making the prospect of GTI/GTI+ ownership affordable for many.

Also, if dealers have been accepting orders after they’ve used up their allocated build slots, they won’t have been able to place orders with the factory until they get their next month’s (or subsequent months) build slot allocation, adding to the delays. If this has been happening, it will only add to customer frustration.

‘Streamlining’ production by taking the Spanish production facility out of the equation - presumably as a cost saving measure to help boost VW profits and also help pay for dieselgate - really doesn’t help to clear the backlog either.

So, it’s all a bit of a mess. I must say when you’d initially placed your order and said you were anticipating 4-5 month wait, I thought that might be a little optimistic, based on the customer waiting times for the first performance models of the mk7 Golf to be built and delivered after it was launched, and similarly with the Scirocco.

Hopefully VW will get their act together, and things improve soon.
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

Apparently the demand for the Up GTI massively exceeds supply, with a year long waiting list. Not surprising given that you can get them for about £12,000. Most buyers are said to be slightly older chaps, which I assume means 50+ i.e. someone with the readies to buy an Up GTI for a bit of fun, but doesn't want to splash on a Porsche.

I must admit they do appeal. The UP GTI gives almost 60 mpg too, which makes it a sensible car for daily use, the Polo GTI is not far off too.
TurboTrev
Getting There!
Drives: Golf CS

Post by TurboTrev »

SRGTD - As well as the free insurance, I think the £500 deposit contribution for the GTI and GTI+ has been pulled as well? That's what VW Finance told me a couple of weeks ago and I can't see it on the website?
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

TurboTrev wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:34 pm SRGTD - As well as the free insurance, I think the £500 deposit contribution for the GTI and GTI+ has been pulled as well? That's what VW Finance told me a couple of weeks ago and I can't see it on the website?
Yes, it looks as if it has. I can’t see it on the website either. As I mentioned in my post earlier today, I don’t think removing the two VW incentives will stop people wanting to get one though. VW just need to up the ante and start building some!

I suppose in the short term, if they’re as scarce as hens teeth, it’ll be good for residuals if demand remains strong.
Leif wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:23 am Apparently the demand for the Up GTI massively exceeds supply, with a year long waiting list.
Yes, I think a forum member on one of the Golf forums has ordered one, and they’d mentioned a very long wait time.
ZeusVsPolo
New
Drives: Polo GTI

Post by ZeusVsPolo »

Yes, I think a forum member on one of the Golf forums has ordered one, and they’d mentioned a very long wait time.
Ordered last week and have an expected delivery date of February 2019 for Polo and Up.
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

I've received an email from my dealership informing me that the new emissions testing coming into force may affect timelines and obviously vehicle data results. I could cancel the order free of charge it read. I will not cancel but it has put me off the VW experience for future cars.
They seemingly are struggling to cope with customer orders. This is no doubt a result of costcutting exercises to help pay for the diesel emissions scandal as has previously been mentioned.
Long wait times for a high end car may be warranted but not in this case, it's only a Polo at the end of the day.

Scottydoo45
New
Drives: Polo gti

Post by Scottydoo45 »

Or they are just throwing out excuses to cover up the balls up, blame emissions testing when actually the supply chain simply cannot cope with the orders and cost cutting taking over