New GTI + delivery

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
a__davis
New
Drives: POLO mk4

Re: New GTI + delivery

Post by a__davis »

Hi, could someone that's ordered the car from VW help me out here,

I ordered my car at the end of June, been kept updated using this forum. But I now have the opportunity to buy a different car for a really good deal, does anyone know if I'm able to cancel the contract right now? I was initially told the car would be delivered by March. I've read my contract and I'm still unsure on what I'm able to do.

Thanks in advance :)
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

I'm sure someone in this thread cancelled their order (due to the waiting time) so I think you should be able to. Would also like clarification though as if the car hasn't gone into production by December I'll probably cancel as well.
John501
New
Drives: Golf 1:4 tsi Polo gti + sometime

Post by John501 »

Hi, my understanding re cancellation is that if the vehicle is not supplied by the date of supply on your order form the dealer then has 28 days to supply the vehicle. If he cannot supply then you can cancel. That's how I interpret the conditions on the order form. I have not put it to the test but my supply date was 12/9 and with no date in sight I am getting to the stage of looking elsewhere.
Wizber
New
Drives: Polo GTi+ 2018

Post by Wizber »

Hi all,

I posted a while back, I believe on a different post but thought I'd update you today as I've just had an update myself. I placed my order in April with an estimated build of August. This then got changed to September and then to November. Today I have been told VW have allocated a build week to week 2, in early January, meaning I probably wont be seeing the car until March. So almost 12 months of waiting! I'll have to pay for another 6 months of tax and get an MOT on my current Golf which I'm not looking forward to! Unfortunately because I have gone through a lease company (work requirement) they're not willing to help me out at all, I even asked if the garage could do anything but that was ignored.

I have gone for the GTI+ black pearl and 18inch wheels. If I didn't really like this car I'd have cancelled at the beginning of August, actively now looking for alternatives!

Also still no update on VW tracker so not sure where the new build week has come from...
loadswine
New
Drives: Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Post by loadswine »

S_94 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:21 pm I'm sure someone in this thread cancelled their order (due to the waiting time) so I think you should be able to. Would also like clarification though as if the car hasn't gone into production by December I'll probably cancel as well.
I was one of the people who cancelled, due to waiting time. I ordered at the end of March, and had received no news of a build date, so I spoke to my dealer, who was very understanding and allowed me to cancel and obtain a refund of my deposit.
I still really like the Polo GTi, but don’t like VW’s lack of information for customers waiting, and the ridiculous waiting times.
For me, I bought a very low mileage Golf GTi performance and am very pleased with it. Cost more than the Polo though.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

loadswine wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:52 pm
S_94 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:21 pm I'm sure someone in this thread cancelled their order (due to the waiting time) so I think you should be able to. Would also like clarification though as if the car hasn't gone into production by December I'll probably cancel as well.
I was one of the people who cancelled, due to waiting time. I ordered at the end of March, and had received no news of a build date, so I spoke to my dealer, who was very understanding and allowed me to cancel and obtain a refund of my deposit.
I still really like the Polo GTi, but don’t like VW’s lack of information for customers waiting, and the ridiculous waiting times.
For me, I bought a very low mileage Golf GTi performance and am very pleased with it. Cost more than the Polo though.
The thing is, your driving in a low mileage Golf GTI, (A much better car) presumably with 3 rear seat belts that work, than still wondering when your going to get your Polo !!

Good for you.
a__davis
New
Drives: POLO mk4

Post by a__davis »

Yeah, their customer service has been very poor, I haven't heard a thing about my car in the last 3 months. You're lucky, my dealer still hasn't gotten back to me about my cancellation request even after 3 days, going to give him another call today. Hoping to pick up a Golf R on Saturday, just got to wait for that deposit :|
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Did they give you an ETA when you ordered? I was told 12-16 weeks at the end of July. It's absolutely ridiculous how long some of you guys have waited.

If I was told when I ordered I'd be waiting 6-9 months for a car I would not have gone through with it, 3-4 months was long enough to be honest.

Hope you enjoy the Golf GTI, would love to do the same myself.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

If the build date has not yet been confirmed then the dealership can cancel their order with VWUK with no financial penalties and therefore have no grounds or justification to retain your deposit.

I almost caved in to cancel my Golf R when it ended up taking 8.5 months at a time when the vanilla spec lease specials were getting built within 3 months.

Unless they want to lose you as a potential customer forever, they'll give you that deposit back without much conversation about it. If you're after a different VW that they can procure much quicker, they'll almist certainly be happy to tack your deposit onto a different order.

The Polo GTI is worth the wait though, it is as enjoyable to drive as my Manual Golf R. The Polo feels much more nimble, even if it only has 2/3 of the power. They're completely different to drive in the way they feel on the road and the way they deliver their power.

My only real disappointment in the Polo is that it is only 10% more frugal than the 10% heavier R pulling a 4WD system (no tramping!) and an extra 100ps when driven like-for like on my commute. Hopefully it has some loosening up to do still.

My wife drives the R more than I do now, and most of the time I don't miss it except for the manual box being more interactive - but the DSG does make you lazy. VW seem to be doing all they can to eradicate manual boxes on performance models, the manual Polo GTI has been a long time coming, and only available for s handful of markets to order so far.
rooneys
New
Drives: Golf gtd

Post by rooneys »

just got a build week. Week 48. Should have the car in January, one year after ordering.
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

What options did you load it with?
rooneys wrote:just got a build week. Week 48. Should have the car in January, one year after ordering.
Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

rooneys
New
Drives: Golf gtd

Post by rooneys »

gti + Brescia alloys, climate and Sat nav.. Grey.
Nora
Bronze Member
Drives: A polo

Post by Nora »

What have VW done to the polo engine to restrict it to 200 bhp? And what would be required to raise the horsepower from 200 bhp to the 230bhp of the golf
MattHGR
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI+

Post by MattHGR »

Nora wrote:What have VW done to the polo engine to restrict it to 200 bhp? And what would be required to raise the horsepower from 200 bhp to the 230bhp of the golf
Maybe the turbo is smaller or not tuned to push the same boost pressure?
I would also like to know [emoji41]
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

MattHGR wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:45 pm
Nora wrote:What have VW done to the polo engine to restrict it to 200 bhp? And what would be required to raise the horsepower from 200 bhp to the 230bhp of the golf
Maybe the turbo is smaller or not tuned to push the same boost pressure?
I would also like to know [emoji41]
Smaller injectors and smaller turbo for starters - the Polo's turbo is less laggy than my Golf R's - smaller turbos are quicker to spool up. It has far less up at the top end, the R really gets going from 4000rpm. Air intake set-up is diffeeent too.

VW have a number of turbos to choose from for each variant rather than fitting s "one for all" and detuning where appropriate. The Golf R has a bigger Turbo than the Golf GTI, for example.

Most of the tuners are quoting 250ps potential for the Polo GTI at stage 1 (remap only, no hardware alterations)- about 310ps for the 230/245ps Golf GTI/PP and 390ps for the R are well established. Best tuning potential for the DSG as Golf GTI and R manual have a "just enough" clutch which is almost a cert to slip when tuned.

The Golf GTD's manual clutch is well over engineered though. Got a DTUK tuning box for my old GTD and going from 184 to 240ps and 380 to 500Nm torque, the car pulled in 6th like it used to pull in 4th. I'd love to get mine done, but probably would only do it once the warranty is up, or when there is some good history of people having run a remap at least 6 months (and thtough the winter) without issues.

You can remap the DSG box too to quicken up geardhifts and increase clutcb clamping pressures to handle more torque.