New GTI + delivery

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Re: New GTI + delivery

Post by barrywi »

I find it difficult to believe that the factory will be shut down for two months because of model year changes. The car has only been available for order for a few months so why make changes so soon, especially as the car seems to be selling so well? I can understand that the goodies you get for a particular price could be changed ,but that could easily done with the on line brochure ,it would not involve the factory shutting down. Our car was ordered on 10 th February and we have a confirmed build start , from the dealer ,of 28th May . A two month shutdown would cause havoc with potential customers , it does not make sense to me unless there is a major design flaw in the model which is complicated to sort out. If it is to do with changes to advertised fuel consumption figures which are changing, again that is just an adjustment in the brochures.
Weird has just got weirder.
joeknight94
New
Drives: Polo GTI+ DSG

Post by joeknight94 »

Customised installation is a factory code and I believe it has something to do with the wheels having a different offset/sizing from the standard fit wheels - it's the same on Golf and Tiguan.

The customer facing tracker is pants to be fair, the one we use to order/track cars isn't much better to be fair, they don't want us to see too much either I don't think (knowledge is power!) haha!

Model year changes won't be announced until nearer the time unfortunately so I don't know what they'll be - I'm hoping it will bring the manual GTI/GTI + and hopefully the option of the Beats sound system upgrade as I saw it on the pre-production model it would have been the first option box I'd have ticked tbh!

Will keep you guys posted on the lead time situation - currently 32 weeks as of last weeks internal update on both GTI and GTI +

Any other questions let me know!

Joe :)
joeknight94
New
Drives: Polo GTI+ DSG

Post by joeknight94 »

barrywi wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 10:58 pm I find it difficult to believe that the factory will be shut down for two months because of model year changes. The car has only been available for order for a few months so why make changes so soon, especially as the car seems to be selling so well? I can understand that the goodies you get for a particular price could be changed ,but that could easily done with the on line brochure ,it would not involve the factory shutting down. Our car was ordered on 10 th February and we have a confirmed build start , from the dealer ,of 28th May . A two month shutdown would cause havoc with potential customers , it does not make sense to me unless there is a major design flaw in the model which is complicated to sort out. If it is to do with changes to advertised fuel consumption figures which are changing, again that is just an adjustment in the brochures.

Hi mate, they have done the same for the factory in Mexico on Tiguan Allspace, I think it will be for maintenance/annual holiday from past experience, probably trying update systems/machines and process. What you'll probably find is that cars will start flying out the factory after it re-opens. If you've got a confirmed build week before June your car should leave and be on it's way before so you should be alright!

I recently visited the factory in Wolfsburg and you would not believe the amount of stuff that is going on there 24/7..It's like Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory, it really put into perspective the scale of cars that VW produce..!

Joe
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Going by the size of car parks at Emden and other ports I would love to be a fly on the wall in the office(s) where they decide what gets made where and when and how it gets from South Africa to England. Just making sure the cars are in the right place on the ships to be driven off at the right port must be a nightmare in itself.
I thought it was only France where they had two month holidays!!
Matfen
New
Drives: Scirocco

Post by Matfen »

joeknight94 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 11:26 pm
barrywi wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 10:58 pm I find it difficult to believe that the factory will be shut down for two months because of model year changes. The car has only been available for order for a few months so why make changes so soon, especially as the car seems to be selling so well? I can understand that the goodies you get for a particular price could be changed ,but that could easily done with the on line brochure ,it would not involve the factory shutting down. Our car was ordered on 10 th February and we have a confirmed build start , from the dealer ,of 28th May . A two month shutdown would cause havoc with potential customers , it does not make sense to me unless there is a major design flaw in the model which is complicated to sort out. If it is to do with changes to advertised fuel consumption figures which are changing, again that is just an adjustment in the brochures.

Hi mate, they have done the same for the factory in Mexico on Tiguan Allspace, I think it will be for maintenance/annual holiday from past experience, probably trying update systems/machines and process. What you'll probably find is that cars will start flying out the factory after it re-opens. If you've got a confirmed build week before June your car should leave and be on it's way before so you should be alright!

I recently visited the factory in Wolfsburg and you would not believe the amount of stuff that is going on there 24/7..It's like Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory, it really put into perspective the scale of cars that VW produce..!

Joe
As much as this is a tough pill to swallow, it does add up with something I saw posted where they stated "Anyone ordered before week 12 has a 26 week delivery time, anyone after is looking at closer to 40 weeks." Does this seem about right Joe?

I ordered week 10, so I should be ok, but I'd be really disappointed if I have to be pushed back towards the end of the year. No build date yet but I'm expecting sometime in July if my 26 week stated deliver is anything to go by.
alandbess
Bronze Member
Drives: Scirocco

Post by alandbess »

Matfen wrote:
joeknight94 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 11:26 pm

Joe
As much as this is a tough pill to swallow, it does add up with something I saw posted where they stated "Anyone ordered before week 12 has a 26 week delivery time, anyone after is looking at closer to 40 weeks." Does this seem about right Joe?

I ordered week 10, so I should be ok, but I'd be really disappointed if I have to be pushed back towards the end of the year. No build date yet but I'm expecting sometime in July if my 26 week stated deliver is anything to go by.
My original order was placed on 21/03 (week 11) but the app was showing as just a GTI not a GTI+. I had to have a new order number on 28/03 (week 12) so I think I must have "missed the boat" with the 20 week lead time.
So what you say does make sense

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

The Freedom Ace, which delivered Polos from South Africa to Emden recently is now lurking off the coast of Northern Germany at 0.3 knots presumably waiting for a space in dock at Bremerhaven where it is due later today. It will be interesting to see where it heads off to when loaded. If it is South Africa it could get there just in time to pick up our Gti+ due to start building on 28 th of this month......or maybe not!!
VW s boss has just won an award for record sales at VW this year despite the scandals. Let's hope he is as good at delivering as selling.
SHIPWRECKED
New
Drives: GTI +

Post by SHIPWRECKED »

I've been told by VW that the GTI + missed the emissions test in April and that another one won't be held until October. My build time is 32 weeks (taking the emissions test in to account). I would love to know if anyone with a delivery date of May/June actually gets their car!
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

So much for VW planning ahead re the emissions test. I wonder if they can carry on making the cars even if they have not been officially tested. Presumably VW will have done their own tests?
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

If new testing regime is primarily concerned with realistic fuel economy, i'm mot sure VW have much to worry about with manual cars (aleays found DSG 10% thirstier than nanual), never been devastated with fuel economy. I routinely get 33-36mpg in my Golf R vs indicated combined 40mpg. A well varied run-in helps on tgat score though. Good mpg = low CO2.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Freedom Ace now parked at Nordhafen( part of Bremerhaven harbour) . Will see where it heads next....sorry if this is getting boring :)
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

barrywi wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 4:24 pm Freedom Ace now parked at Nordhafen( part of Bremerhaven harbour) . Will see where it heads next....sorry if this is getting boring :)
My car was on freedom ace and I was told today that it just arrived in Sheerness.
kerby
New
Drives: SE

Post by kerby »

@mike sel:
Is it showing as arrived in the UK yet for you on the VW tracker?
Also, did they give any indication as to when it might arrive at your dealership for pickup? There is another thread on here involving a chap who has been waiting a while, and is still waiting, for their car to be transported from the UK docks to dealership.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

The only car transporter in Sheerness is the Macassar Highway so that must be the ship your car was on. Presumably it will be emptied fairly quickly
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

kerby wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 5:28 pm @mike sel:
Is it showing as arrived in the UK yet for you on the VW tracker?
Also, did they give any indication as to when it might arrive at your dealership for pickup? There is another thread on here involving a chap who has been waiting a while, and is still waiting, for their car to be transported from the UK docks to dealership.
its not showing on the tracker yet. I got that from the online chat. I was told 2 weeks to the dealer.