New GTI + delivery

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
rooneys
New
Drives: Golf gtd

Re: New GTI + delivery

Post by rooneys »

Matfen wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 8:12 am
joeknight94 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 11:26 pm
barrywi wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 10:58 pm I find it difficult to believe that the factory will be shut down for two months because of model year changes. The car has only been available for order for a few months so why make changes so soon, especially as the car seems to be selling so well? I can understand that the goodies you get for a particular price could be changed ,but that could easily done with the on line brochure ,it would not involve the factory shutting down. Our car was ordered on 10 th February and we have a confirmed build start , from the dealer ,of 28th May . A two month shutdown would cause havoc with potential customers , it does not make sense to me unless there is a major design flaw in the model which is complicated to sort out. If it is to do with changes to advertised fuel consumption figures which are changing, again that is just an adjustment in the brochures.
Weird has just got weirder.

Hi mate, they have done the same for the factory in Mexico on Tiguan Allspace, I think it will be for maintenance/annual holiday from past experience, probably trying update systems/machines and process. What you'll probably find is that cars will start flying out the factory after it re-opens. If you've got a confirmed build week before June your car should leave and be on it's way before so you should be alright!

I recently visited the factory in Wolfsburg and you would not believe the amount of stuff that is going on there 24/7..It's like Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory, it really put into perspective the scale of cars that VW produce..!

Joe
As much as this is a tough pill to swallow, it does add up with something I saw posted where they stated "Anyone ordered before week 12 has a 26 week delivery time, anyone after is looking at closer to 40 weeks." Does this seem about right Joe?

I ordered week 10, so I should be ok, but I'd be really disappointed if I have to be pushed back towards the end of the year. No build date yet but I'm expecting sometime in July if my 26 week stated deliver is anything to go by.
I ordered in the first week. Still haven't got a build.date.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

joeknight94 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 11:19 pm Customised installation is a factory code and I believe it has something to do with the wheels having a different offset/sizing from the standard fit wheels - it's the same on Golf and Tiguan.

Joe :)
Makes sense. I assume new Polo has same wheel set-up as old one and current A1 - wheel nuts 100mm from wheel centre. Perhaps 17" wheels are the threshold limit for that configuration and 18" get 115mm (or is it 110mm?) from centre as the larger VWs get. That would mean a completely different set of wheel hubs for only the Brescia Fitted GTI than the rest of the Polo range.

Seen a lot of youtube reviews last night, mainly Flash Red on Brescias and all on Michelin rubber. I doubt I'll be that lucky, probably the dreaded Bridgestones again.
broberty
New
Drives: Polo GTI

Post by broberty »

I ordered 03/04/18. Build date confirmed for 04/06/2018.

GTI (Flash Red) + brescias + active info display
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Post by barrywi »

Our Gti plus ordered on Feb 10th with Parker wheels, sat nav, climate and winter pack is due to start on March 28 th so I would guess our two cars may be on the same ship. No ships of any kind in Port Elizabeth last time I looked, but one could be on its way. I just hope strikes or factory shut downs do not scupper the delivery.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Sorry that should be MAY 28th and the car is the same colour as yours.
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

Matfen
New
Drives: Scirocco

Post by Matfen »

Hello all.

Just got a call this morning from my dealer and they said that the Polo GTi has failed to meet the new EU emissions regulations (WLTP).

This has caused my delivery date to be put back to January next year (from August/September originally).

I think I'm going to have to start considering other options. At the time I'd recieved it, it would be over 10 months since order.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Matfen: Surely then, that affects all UK GTI orders? Just wondering whether

1. We're all expecting that call.
2. Whether there are some extreme option combinations which make it heavier or less aerodynamic to knock it up into a new CO2 bracket e.g. sunroof.
3. Your dealership is trying to stall you because your order wasn't locked in for whatever (their fault) reason and now yours will be a new order done well after the forthcoming (3 month?) shutdown.

I'm presuming now we're on BW20, going into BW 21, some Polo GTIs have already been built? Anyone here able to confirm theirs has been built according to the tracker?

I'd find it hard to believe that the Polo GTI with 6 speed DSG box is having bother meeting WLTP when the heavier standard Golf GTI apparently is ok, with 30 more horses from the same engine and same 6 speed box (the GTI PP 245ps has the new 7 speed box). Don't know why Polo never got 7 speed from the get-go for better economy and emissions as the 7 speed box with its tall 7th gear has really upped motorway speeds fuel economy on the Golf R and GTI PP compared to the old 6 speed DSG (pre-facelift) and manual box.
alandbess
Bronze Member
Drives: Scirocco

Post by alandbess »

There are mutterings about the new WLTP going on. Rather than it failing it, I think it's more to do with the fact that it hasn't had the WLTP done yet and perhaps VW are waiting for their "slot"

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

Peeps know my views on long Polo delays: 10 months is freaking ridiculous. Me: I'd change variation (of Polo), model (few delays with Golfs), or brand of car. Not sure exactly what is going on with VW and their new Polos but my own potential Polo ownership is defo pending whilst they get their act together....
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

^ The fact that people are still hanging on in there says a lot about the car, or people's anticipation of it. What alternatives are out there for the impatient that tick all the boxes we expect the Polo GTI/+ to? E verything else in the same performance bracker is 18 year old boy-racer material.

VW always do this with performance model launches - in the first year of launch they are scarce, and then they become ten a penny when VW loosen up on the allocations.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 8:30 am ^ The fact that people are still hanging on in there says a lot about the car, or people's anticipation of it. What alternatives are out there for the impatient that tick all the boxes we expect the Polo GTI/+ to? E verything else in the same performance bracker is 18 year old boy-racer material.
Agree, monkeyhanger. I’m a mature (retired) driver, and couldn’t see myself driving a Fiesta ST, even though Ford seem to have tried to make it feel more ‘premium’, and the general consensus over on the FiestaSTOC forum is that the latest version is aimed at a more mature owner.

Unless something more compelling (for me) comes along in the next 18-24 months, it’ll be a new Polo GTI/+ to replace my current Polo GTI. Hopefully, VW will have sorted out the production issues by then. 🤞
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

OK , just rang VW UK to try and get an answer to delivery problems.
My GTI + was ordered on Feb 10th 2018 and I had been given a confirmed build date of next Monday 28 th May. HOWEVER I have just been told the factory is now closed until week 32 so my car will not be built intil after then. It is not the end of the world but the dealer has told me nothing about this. We will have to hang on to our UP until the new car comes now , so not sure if the garage will honour the deal. I am in with the UP for its MOT on Wednesday so will try and collar the sales manager as to what happens now re my trade in . VW rep is going to ring me back with any more information she can find.
I suppose the only good news is that if there are changes to the GTI my car will have them assuming they are positive or improvements. And it will be a 68 ( or 19 plate!!) No desire to change to another make or model, they are either too expensive or too boy racer, like a previous poster I am retired so have no interest in getting schoolboys excited as I drive past with a noisy exhaust. ( That sounded vaguely illegal anyway) Hopefully no major price increase in the meantime anyway.
Big sigh and back to the long wait.
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

It is bad news for all GTI orders. the only direct alternative is probably the golf GTI but of course its a lot dearer. I think through car wow your looking at about 28k with a few toys. I think the Polo GTI+ came in 3k cheaper? but no point in being cheaper if you cant actually get one. Could be time to bite the bullet? Golf MK7.5 GTI in 8 weeks or POLO possibly in 10 months .....yea I'm not sure the 3k saving is worth the wait. :?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Hi Barry,

I rang VW UK only last week to get my confirmed BW and to find out what colour dashpads my GTI+ would come with as it was a screen grab of an already scheduled car that the dealership I was put in touch with had access to.

They told me BW23 (W/C 04 June) and I asked whether the plant would still be open then, as i'd heard forum rumours that it may already be closed. They said the shutdown is after BW24 is complete.

Not sure if yours is new info or whether we have conflicting info, but currently still expecting mine to be built in 2 weeks time. Do you have a working order number for the tracker?