New GTI + delivery

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: New GTI + delivery

Post by monkeyhanger »

^ QC checks in the EU purely to say it has been manufactured in the EU (even if only fractionally) and avoid import duty. Otherwise why not drop UK cars off in the UK on the way to Emden?

Grand Orion is stopping at a few UK ports before Emden, but won't be dropping off any VWs if current procedure is followed.
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:52 am ^ QC checks in the EU purely to say it has been manufactured in the EU (even if only fractionally) and avoid import duty. Otherwise why not drop UK cars off in the UK on the way to Emden?

Grand Orion is stopping at a few UK ports before Emden, but won't be dropping off any VWs if current procedure is followed.
Probably because you'd have to drop off all cars, then reload non UK. It's probably easier to unload all cars at Emden, then send some on by another ship to the UK, and send others by rail and road.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Leif wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:13 am Probably because you'd have to drop off all cars, then reload non UK. It's probably easier to unload all cars at Emden, then send some on by another ship to the UK, and send others by rail and road.
Exactly, it is all down to logistics and VW Group have worked out that for them, using Emden along with the other ports used to "drop off" and "pick up" works best.

I'd guess the only time that you would ever see a large transporter ship including a UK port in its itinary would be if for some strange reason that worked best logistically.

Remember VW Group do seem to have 3 or 4 or 5 drop off points in UK, so "your" drop off port is not necessarly the most important/busiest one - couple that with the probability that not all ports that VW Group in UK might be able to handle one of these huge transporter ships, or might already have berthing slots fully booked.

Edit:- also the local European transporter ships are a lot smaller and possible only cover 2 or 3 drop off ports during each run.
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Post by barrywi »

RUM4MO wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:37 am Honestly some of this is getting to sound like someone has been reading this off the back of a box of cornflakes!

Transporter ships as used specifically for transporting self propelled vehicles of all types - they are designed to enable the "units" to be driven on and then driven off via external and internal ramps, bauxite carriers are just big tubs with a hold that gets filled up with bauxite - poured in and sucked out.

Wolfsburg - I really can't see any logic to filling a production facility with models built elsewhere just so that they can get checked, as far as I know, Emden has two purposes, firstly it is the main build plant for Passats, but it does have a large dockland area where cars coming into Northern Europe are mustered and probably the same for cars leaving Northern Europe for other parts of the world. Wolfsburg is the main build plant for Golfs.

So, why would VW want to move cars around in the way that has been described, I just can't see that happening, what needs to be done will be done in Emden and I'd think that the only QC control type of tasks being involved will be "carrier to carrier" checks for damage incurred in transit, why why,why on earth does anyone things that QC is being carried out on a product that has been subjected to internal QC before leaving the factory, it is still VW that is responsible for these cars.
Now someone is talking sense, thankyou
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

RUM4MO wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:46 am
Leif wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:13 am Probably because you'd have to drop off all cars, then reload non UK. It's probably easier to unload all cars at Emden, then send some on by another ship to the UK, and send others by rail and road.
Exactly, it is all down to logistics and VW Group have worked out that for them, using Emden along with the other ports used to "drop off" and "pick up" works best.

I'd guess the only time that you would ever see a large transporter ship including a UK port in its itinary would be if for some strange reason that worked best logistically.

Remember VW Group do seem to have 3 or 4 or 5 drop off points in UK, so "your" drop off port is not necessarly the most important/busiest one - couple that with the probability that not all ports that VW Group in UK might be able to handle one of these huge transporter ships, or might already have berthing slots fully booked.

Edit:- also the local European transporter ships are a lot smaller and possible only cover 2 or 3 drop off ports during each run.
There are 3 VW serviced ports for the UK - Sheerness, Grimsby and Tyne. All can handle huge transport ships. I see some pretty big ships coming and going through the Tyne every day (my street overlooks the mouth of the Tyne). The Grand Orion itself is heading to UK ports before it goes to Emden (so they can handle a ship that size), so they'll be picking up or dropping off non VW merchandise. The 3 ports are VW destinations depending on dealership location - Tyne services England from Teesside and up + Scotland. Tyne deliveries are very quick. My previous 7 VWs were mostly at Tyne/Wear dealerships within 3 days of landing.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:14 pm
RUM4MO wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:46 am
If the Grand Orion is heading to the UK before Emden does that mean UK destination Polos will be dropped off here and not go to Emden?
I thought the Orion was scheduled to Vigo , Zeebrugge then Emden.
If it visits the UK first for whatever reason and does not drop off the Polos, it will be a struggle to meet the 15 th deadline( if it exists!)

There are 3 VW serviced ports for the UK - Sheerness, Grimsby and Tyne. All can handle huge transport ships. I see some pretty big ships coming and going through the Tyne every day (my street overlooks the mouth of the Tyne). The Grand Orion itself is heading to UK ports before it goes to Emden (so they can handle a ship that size), so they'll be picking up or dropping off non VW merchandise. The 3 ports are VW destinations depending on dealership location - Tyne services England from Teesside and up + Scotland. Tyne deliveries are very quick. My previous 7 VWs were mostly at Tyne/Wear dealerships within 3 days of landing.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

So this will delay Polo deliveries even more if it goes to the UK first. I thought the Grand Orion was scheduled for Vigo, Zeebrugge and then Emden. The last WLTP Polos will very close to the 15 th August deadline if that ship goes to the UK first.
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:14 pm The 3 ports are VW destinations depending on dealership location - Tyne services England from Teesside and up + Scotland. Tyne deliveries are very quick. My previous 7 VWs were mostly at Tyne/Wear dealerships within 3 days of landing.
It's starting to feel like Sheerness is the slowest. 10 days and counting....
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

barrywi wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:45 pm I thought the Grand Orion was scheduled for Vigo, Zeebrugge and then Emden.
It is..
Pop its name in here to see the full schedule: http://www.molroro.com/MOLVesselSchedule.aspx
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

roywolfey wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:53 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:14 pm The 3 ports are VW destinations depending on dealership location - Tyne services England from Teesside and up + Scotland. Tyne deliveries are very quick. My previous 7 VWs were mostly at Tyne/Wear dealerships within 3 days of landing.
It's starting to feel like Sheerness is the slowest. 10 days and counting....
Grimsby and Sheerness are slow, they're busier than Tyne, and more storage too. I will not be getting my Polo via Tyne this time around (I usually order through Pulman Durham or Sunderland as Benfield/Lookers haven't been particularly good at doing a deal for me for my past 4 cars) as mine is being sourced from Listers (Nuneaton, I think) - broker deal.

Expecting the Grand Orion and Germany stop (then likely onto another ship after the Germany stop for QC checks) to take us to around the start of Aug. I can see Sheerness/Grmisby bound cars to be sat dockside for a minimum of 10 days.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Not much time left then if the deadline is the 15th
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Leif wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:13 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:52 am ^ QC checks in the EU purely to say it has been manufactured in the EU (even if only fractionally) and avoid import duty. Otherwise why not drop UK cars off in the UK on the way to Emden?

Probably because you'd have to drop off all cars, then reload non UK. It's probably easier to unload all cars at Emden, then send some on by another ship to the UK, and send others by rail and road.
Why would you need to do that? These carriers load/unload part of their load at every single stop they make on their itinery and don't exclusively carry VWs. They won't just have one way on or off the ship for the cargo either, cargo will be compartmentalised with each area able to independently unload. They won't drop off in UK because of the aforementioned QC checks.

I can't find the exact reference to those checks since the website was updated with new pricelists/brochures, but the tracker page used to break down part 5 of the tracker progress into 3 sub stages (5a, 5b, 5c) and it used to have a "did you know?" section that told you the Polos from SA are delivered to Germany for QC checks before being forwarded on to their UK ports for delivery to the dealerships. I'm sure that Wolfsburg was mentioned specifically as a destination for these QC checks, but wherever they are executed, be it Emden Plant, a cursory check at Emden port or Wolfsburg, they are the reason that the Polos don't come straight to Sheerness when Sheerness is on the ship's itinery.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

barrywi wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:37 pm Not much time left then if the deadline is the 15th
I'm sure they could register in your name with just the VIN number, if the car is in the UK. Of course, if you pull out and don't collect, that car is effectively used, as it is a "pre-registered" car.

Given the mess of WLTP, I think VW are getting off lightly with the rumoured £750 incentive for having to go on an 18 plate. a 68 plate car registered just 2 weeks later would've undoubtedly been worth more 3 years down the line, looking outwardly 6 months younger with the later plate.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

My dealer said they would physically need the car to register it.
Not too bothered about the 68 plate as we have bought a private plate for it, but dont tell the dealer that!
Sing to the tune of " I want my MTV".....
" I want my com- pen-sation"
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

barrywi wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:16 pm My dealer said they would physically need the car to register it.
Not too bothered about the 68 plate as we have bought a private plate for it, but dont tell the dealer that!
Sing to the tune of " I want my MTV".....
" I want my com- pen-sation"
I would hope with all the problems around, that VW etc could register any car that had landed in UK and was in one of VW's holding areas even at the docks.

I asked about reg'ng a VW that I was importing from NL back in 2000 and at that time, and at that time you would not have been able to complete the paper work without having the car on your driveway, so the dealer supplied transit "ZZ" plates to let you drive legally to your final destination.