New GTI + delivery

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Trantor
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Re: New GTI + delivery

Post by Trantor »

After 13 month wait I finally collected the car yesterday morning! GTI+, Reef Blue, Pan roof, Parkers. :D

For anyone coming from a 6C GTI DSG and wondering if its worth the upgrade then, based on my experience so far, it most certainly is! Clocked up 85 miles yesterday driving around the New Forest and surrounding area on a mix of roads. Here's a few of my initial observations...

The ride (in Normal) is a notable step up over the 6C GTI.
Build quality appears good. Doors and hatch all close easily with a satisfying clunk. The bonnet I noticed has two catches, one either side, rather than one in the middle.
Also noticed how much quieter it is inside. Wife commented that as a passenger she prefers the sound of the new one over the old one.
Impressed that it averaged 45.7mpg.
Extra space inside and in the boot is/will be a bonus.
The new arm rest is a major improvement. The old one was adjustable for hight via the ratcheted hinge but I found it always in the way of the handbrake so rarely used it. The new one, although not height adjustable (but OK for me), does slide fore and aft so doesn't impede the handbrake; a minor point but noticeable.
I also believe the standard air con works better in the new one than the old. I debated whether to opt for climate control or not and decided not to. Driving around yesterday in 30+ deg C, the standard system coped more than adequately.
Having ordered the car sight unseen I was unsure whether I'd like the red dash but now I have the car, those fears have gone!
Even on a tight engine you can tell it is eager to pull. Better that the 6C? Yes I'd say so. Probably due to the torque increase. The old 6C 7 speed DSG was torque limited over the manual. When it loosens up more I'm sure on-the-road acceleration will be better.

In summary then...
Do I regret buying it - Absolutely not.
Was it worth the wait? - 13 months is a long time but based on just the first 85 miles I'd have to say yes.
Am I impressed with the car? - Very much a yes.
Would I recommend the car to others - Most definitely.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

13 months is a ridiculous time to wait for a new car, more so for those that are PCPing and are trying to coincide the new one coming in as the old PCP reaches end of term.

The engine does loosen up over time/miles, but even so, I'm not convinced that our 2019 GPF GTI+ will get as eager as my 2018 non-GPF variant is as it approaches 1 year old and 8k miles just passed. The difference between the 2 cars is substantial.
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

Trantor wrote:After 13 month wait I finally collected the car yesterday morning! GTI+, Reef Blue, Pan roof, Parkers. :D

For anyone coming from a 6C GTI DSG and wondering if its worth the upgrade then, based on my experience so far, it most certainly is! Clocked up 85 miles yesterday driving around the New Forest and surrounding area on a mix of roads. Here's a few of my initial observations...

Build quality appears good. Doors and hatch all close easily with a satisfying clunk. The bonnet I noticed has two catches, one either side, rather than one in the middle.
Also noticed how much quieter it is inside. Wife commented that as a passenger she prefers the sound of the new one over the old one.
The new arm rest is a major improvement. The old one was adjustable for hight via the ratcheted hinge but I found it always in the way of the handbrake so rarely used it. The new one, although not height adjustable (but OK for me), does slide fore and aft so doesn't impede the handbrake; a minor point but noticeable.
I also believe the standard air con works better in the new one than the old. I debated whether to opt for climate control or not and decided not to. Driving around yesterday in 30+ deg C, the standard system coped more than adequately.
Having ordered the car sight unseen I was unsure whether I'd like the red dash but now I have the car, those fears have gone!
Even on a tight engine you can tell it is eager to pull. Better that the 6C? Yes I'd say so. Probably due to the torque increase. The old 6C 7 speed DSG was torque limited over the manual. When it loosens up more I'm sure on-the-road acceleration will be better.

In summary then...
Was it worth the wait? - 13 months is a long time but based on just the first 85 miles I'd have to say yes.
Great news, you're finally getting to enjoy your new car!
(Yesterday I had a guy in a newish BMW while at a petrol pump start asking me about my car. He loved mine and was thinking of having one. He also liked the reviews it's received.)

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

paulrodgers7
Getting There!
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi + White/black roof

Post by paulrodgers7 »

Trantor wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:05 am After 13 month wait I finally collected the car yesterday morning! GTI+, Reef Blue, Pan roof, Parkers. :D

In summary then...

So pleased for you and I totally agree with your thoughts on the car, I am about 4 weeks into ownership and I love driving this car more and more everyday. If anyone is deliberating over the wait or worth of the VW Polo Gti, deliberate no longer and get your order in, it is so worth the wait :D
Trantor
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Post by Trantor »

Thanks John and Paul. Went for a 80 mile drive around the backroads of north Dorset today. Very impressed by the way it goes and drives.
Laquel
New
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI DSG Reef Blue

Post by Laquel »

Just ordered myself a Polo GTI DSG in reef blue. Salesman said the current estimate is a December build date and January delivery, let's hope that sticks.

In Finland the polo comes quite well equipped stock, with digital instrument cluster, heated seats etc. but I did check LED-headlights, ACC and Sport select suspension from the extras. 17" wheels cause our roads are terrible.

Can't wait to drive my Polo :D
richl123
New

Post by richl123 »

CVL lease special offer

24 months
£2400 deposit

5000 miles = £144
8000 miles = £160
10000 miles = £172
15000 miles = £201

No deposit ranges from £243 to £300
Laquel
New
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI DSG Reef Blue

Post by Laquel »

Laquel wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:55 pm Just ordered myself a Polo GTI DSG in reef blue. Salesman said the current estimate is a December build date and January delivery, let's hope that sticks.

In Finland the polo comes quite well equipped stock, with digital instrument cluster, heated seats etc. but I did check LED-headlights, ACC and Sport select suspension from the extras. 17" wheels cause our roads are terrible.

Can't wait to drive my Polo :D
Just got an update from the salesman, new estimated delivery already Dec 3rd
Build is scheduled for second week of October and shipping from SA to Finland should take 7 weeks :S
Nora
Bronze Member
Drives: A polo

Post by Nora »

Strangely It’s taken until yesterday to spot another Gti on the road, I was crossing the Orwell bridge eastbound at Ipswich around 10am when a white Gti came past me
New-gti-guy
New
Drives: 1.6

Post by New-gti-guy »

My POLO GTI+ white with black roof, middle silencer deleted and pipercross filter. 20k miles.
Loved it to bits but sadly forced to sell due to cash issues... :cry: :cry:
PoloGTInoob
New
Drives: 2020 Polo GTI+

Post by PoloGTInoob »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:57 am I'm not convinced that our 2019 GPF GTI+ will get as eager as my 2018 non-GPF variant is as it approaches 1 year old and 8k miles just passed. The difference between the 2 cars is substantial.
Do the official figures suggest the old car is substantially faster?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

PoloGTInoob wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:23 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:57 am I'm not convinced that our 2019 GPF GTI+ will get as eager as my 2018 non-GPF variant is as it approaches 1 year old and 8k miles just passed. The difference between the 2 cars is substantial.
Do the official figures suggest the old car is substantially faster?
You may not get a reply; forum member @monkeyhanger hasn’t been active on the forum since June last year - always worth checking if the forum member is a current active member when resurrecting and old post. They no longer own either of the Polo GTI+’s referred to in their post (they now have a Cupra Born EV and an Audi S3).
TheRacingRat
Getting There!
Drives: 2020 Polo GTI+

Post by TheRacingRat »

Nora wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:30 am Strangely It’s taken until yesterday to spot another Gti on the road, I was crossing the Orwell bridge eastbound at Ipswich around 10am when a white Gti came past me
I live in Ipswich over the East side, my 2020 GTI+ is Limestone grey. Give me a wave if you see me.