When will we get the 1.5 engine?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Re: When will we get the 1.5 engine?

Post by Dark_cze »

GolfDriver wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:40 pm Maybe I'm no longer keen on the 1.5!

Seems to be one problem after another.

https://www.trocforums.co.uk/viewtopic. ... &start=140

What should I get to replace my Golf.
Then go for gti :-D
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Had to take my Polo in yesterday to get the orange dash pads fitted that were missed out when being built. (Which they supplied and fitted free of charge, for the inconvenience). They gave me a Golf R Line to get home in.
At about £26,000 I wasn't impressed, the acceleration was faster than my 115bhp, but the ride was harsh against my SEL. As for size, the bonnet is a bit longer but inside there's not a lot of difference for size, looked in the boot and not a lot of difference there, but one thing, it didn't have a spare wheel, just a can of gunk. That's one thing with my Polo, it's got a full size spare wheel.
The Golf's dash is not as nice looking as the Polo's, and they line the glove box with some material so things don't rattle so much.
Dark_cze
Silver Member

Post by Dark_cze »

silverhairs wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:00 am Had to take my Polo in yesterday to get the orange dash pads fitted that were missed out when being built. (Which they supplied and fitted free of charge, for the inconvenience). They gave me a Golf R Line to get home in.
At about £26,000 I wasn't impressed, the acceleration was faster than my 115bhp, but the ride was harsh against my SEL. As for size, the bonnet is a bit longer but inside there's not a lot of difference for size, looked in the boot and not a lot of difference there, but one thing, it didn't have a spare wheel, just a can of gunk. That's one thing with my Polo, it's got a full size spare wheel.
The Golf's dash is not as nice looking as the Polo's, and they line the glove box with some material so things don't rattle so much.
dash is not that nice because it is 7 years old. Wait for new generation ;)
GolfDriver
New
Drives: On my 5th Golf but tempted by new Polo

Post by GolfDriver »

Finally made a decision.

Can't wait any longer for a possible 1.5 Polo. Tempted by a MK7 Golf but new MK8 due soon and would wait for problems to materialise and hopefully be ironed-out before purchase.

So decided to do a 2yr Contract Hire. Have done Contract Hire in the past. A Seat Leon 1.5 TSI will replace my faultless, coming up to 10 years old, Golf. In 64000 miles all I've replaced are tyres and wipers. All servicing carried out at franchised VW dealer. Been a perfect car but want a change.

Got a great deal on the Leon and in two years' time I'll see what's about to buy.
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

GolfDriver wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:02 pm Finally made a decision.

Can't wait any longer for a possible 1.5 Polo. Tempted by a MK7 Golf but new MK8 due soon and would wait for problems to materialise and hopefully be ironed-out before purchase.

So decided to do a 2yr Contract Hire. Have done Contract Hire in the past. A Seat Leon 1.5 TSI will replace my faultless, coming up to 10 years old, Golf. In 64000 miles all I've replaced are tyres and wipers. All servicing carried out at franchised VW dealer. Been a perfect car but want a change.

Got a great deal on the Leon and in two years' time I'll see what's about to buy.
Enjoy
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

GolfDriver wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:02 pm Finally made a decision.

If you were happy with the Seat Leon 1.5 TSI and it was faultless, during your contract hire time, don't hold your breath for VW to put the 1.5 in the Polo, get yourself a Seat Leon, I doubt the waiting time would be as long as the Polo.
Dark_cze
Silver Member

Post by Dark_cze »

It is wierd I bought erWin for a day to download maitenance guides etc for my gti and 1.5l evo have everything here prepared for any service centre. My guess is that they will offer tcross with 1.5 evo soon and they don't want to polo to steal tcross sales
Dreamscape
New
Drives: 6AW

Post by Dreamscape »

One can order a 1.5 Polo in Poland. It comes only with DSG and costs almost as much as a GTI with manual gearbox. It's positioned across the range as if VW didn't want anyone to buy it. I was tempted to wait for this engine, thinking it would come with a manual gearbox and would be a middle ground between top 1.0 TSI trim and GTI. I'm glad I just went with 1.0 TSI and some extras.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Dreamscape wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:40 am One can order a 1.5 Polo in Poland. It comes only with DSG and costs almost as much as a GTI with manual gearbox. It's positioned across the range as if VW didn't want anyone to buy it. I was tempted to wait for this engine, thinking it would come with a manual gearbox and would be a middle ground between top 1.0 TSI trim and GTI. I'm glad I just went with 1.0 TSI and some extras.
I’m wondering if making the 1.5 EVO engine available only with DSG transmission in the Polo is due to the problems being reported by owners of this engine with manual transmission in other VW/Audi Group vehicles. Owners that have this engine with a manual transmission have experienced very jerky running engine hesitation when pulling away, particularly when driving in stop start traffic. The same problems don’t appear to be present when vehicles have a DSG transmission. VW appear to have acknowledged there is an issue.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/ownin ... vo-engine/

https://www.trocforums.co.uk/viewtopic. ... ce3ead2eb7

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/4 ... ear-issue/
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

A friend of my wife has just been bought a slightly used Golf 1.5TSI 6SP MAN TRAN by her husband, so that is a pre GPF(maybe) but certainly a pre WLTP certified car, I have quizzed her husband about drivability issues and said that VW is rolling out a S/W fix Q2 2019 - but he is adamant that that car drives perfectly under all conditions, so I don't know what is going on there with some being nasty to drive while others are good.

Edit:- by the way, that couple "know" their cars so would be complaining/talking about this issue if it was present.
E10
New
Drives: Audi A3 Limousine 1.4 S-line

Post by E10 »

In the Netherlands the new pricelist includes manual for the GTI and 1.5 TSI.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

E10 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:24 am In the Netherlands the new pricelist includes manual for the GTI and 1.5 TSI.
Which probably means that UK's official imports of VWs into UK is the stumbling block for if or when 1.5TSI with manual box appears in a Polo for sale in UK.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

RUM4MO wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:14 am
E10 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:24 am In the Netherlands the new pricelist includes manual for the GTI and 1.5 TSI.
Which probably means that UK's official imports of VWs into UK is the stumbling block for if or when 1.5TSI with manual box appears in a Polo for sale in UK.
Are you talking about the unspoken "B" word?

No reason why we can't have any car/trim/engine combo that any other European country currently gets from VW, except VWUK has made the conscious decision not to make it available for the UK market by requesting it from VW GmbH. Perhaps they don't think it will be a big seller.

Post March, VW/Fiat/BMW/Peugeot etc. will continue selling us cars - the UK is the largest market for new cars in Europe. We won't slap a huge import tariff on because we don't want them to do the same for UK built Nissans, Hondas, Vauxhalls (Opels) etc. being exported to Europe.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:56 am
RUM4MO wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:14 am
Are you talking about the unspoken "B" word?

No reason why we can't have any car/trim/engine combo that any other European country currently gets from VW, except VWUK has made the conscious decision not to make it available for the UK market by requesting it from VW GmbH. Perhaps they don't think it will be a big seller.

Post March, VW/Fiat/BMW/Peugeot etc. will continue selling us cars - the UK is the largest market for new cars in Europe. We won't slap a huge import tariff on because we don't want them to do the same for UK built Nissans, Hondas, Vauxhalls (Opels) etc. being exported to Europe.
No, not the "B" word, VW UK will do market research and in using that set exacty what UK versions of the trim levels "contain" for UK bound cars, plenty other reasons I'm sure that VW UK would remove certain models from their catalogue of cars they will offer for sale in UK, again it could be that LHD markets being the majority of sales, will get first "go" at scarse resourses like the 1.5TSI engine in smaller cars.

Maybe unfortunate for us that VW UK is owned by VW AG, whereas in other countries, VW importers are private companies and so more free to make demands on what they want from VW AG.