When will we get the 1.5 engine?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
albob
Bronze Member
Drives: BlueGT

When will we get the 1.5 engine?

Post by albob »

Pretty much as title.

Anybody have info as to when/if the new polo will get a 1.5 engine??

When I looked at the German and French VW websites in January the 1.5 engine featured in their Configurator (now removed) :: This gives the impression that the Polo may never get the larger engine...

Seems unfair, as the Polo's Spanish cousin has the 1.5....... :(
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: When will we get the 1.5 engine?

Post by SRGTD »

it does seem strange that it’s not available yet. As you say, it’s available in the new Ibiza (FR model), but only with a manual gearbox. All the information about the forthcoming Polo R-Line with the 1.5 Evo engine has stated it was to be DSG-only in the Polo, so maybe it’s unavailablilty is something to do with the combination of this engine with DSG transmission? However...........it’s interesting to note that the 1.5 Evo engine is available in the current Golf GT (with 130 and 150 ps power outputs) and the Golf R-Line (150 ps power output) models with both manual and DGS transmission options, so if they can install the 1.5 Evo (150 ps) with DSG transmission in the Golf, why not the Polo?; maybe it won’t physically fit! :shock:.

This is unlikely to be the reason, as VW fit a 2 litre engine with DSG transmission in the Polo GTI. I’d guess it’s probably more to do with something like CO2 emissions, and VW having ambitions to achieve some ‘magical’ low CO2 figure that makes a Polo 1.5 DSG R-Line an attractive proposition to prospective customers who put a high priority on such things.

If and when a 1.5 Evo engined Polo R-Line does appear, it’s price point relative to the GTI model will be interesting. Currently, the 1.0 (115 ps) Polo R-Line with DSG has a list price of £20,280, compared to the Polo GTI’s list price of £21,140, so the GTI (DSG only at present) is only £860 more expensive. Interestingly, Seat charge an extra £1,050 for the 1.5 Evo engine in the Ibiza FR over the 1.0 115 ps engined version. So, if VW were to apply the same price uplift of £1,050 to the 1.0 115 ps DSG Polo R-Line for the 1.5 Evo engine, it would have a list price of £21,330, making it £190 more expensive than the GTI. :shock:

I know that the GTI isn’t for everyone, but it looks as if the 1.5 Evo 150 ps Polo DSG won’t be particulalry good value compared to the GTI.

You could always ask a VW dealer when the 1.5 Evo engine will be available in the Polo, but I wouldn’t be surprised if dealers don’t know either!
albob
Bronze Member
Drives: BlueGT

Post by albob »

Thanks for your reply -- makes excellent sense. Might just have a closer look at the GTI... :)
AndyGTi
Bronze Member

Post by AndyGTi »

Yes, I have also been wondering about 1.5 Tsi Evo engine in a Polo. Spent last week looking at the price lists for Ibiza, Golf and T-Roc.

Excellent reply from SRGTD, with the difference in price between Ibiza engines of around £1,000 and about £1,300 - £1,500 between engines in golf and T-Roc ( ok not exact same spec)

It does look like there is no room for a 1.5 Polo to fit into pricelist. I wondered if VW UK were trying to push GTI with a lower price point but after playing around on VW Germany website and converting currencies, they seem to pretty well match (UK GTI price v German price)

So I’m now thinking that there was an intention back in June 2017 to give a 1.5 engine option but after everyone at VW has discussed it maybe they don’t want people downsizing and leaving the Golf. A lot of reviews have commented about do you need something the size of a Golf when Polo does so much with its increased size.

But how about this idea. They are holding back on the 1.5 engine ( and hopefully a Polo R) until Mk8 Golf comes out and puts more distance between the models. How does that sound?
daydotz
Silver Member

Post by daydotz »

It's a availablity thing it's a popular engine used in many cars it's a pain [emoji852]️
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

daydotz wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:13 pm It's a availablity thing it's a popular engine used in many cars it's a pain [emoji852]️
It would be interesting to know what the typical delivery timescales are for an Ibiza FR or Golf GT / Golf R-Line with the 1.5 Evo engine. That would help confirm (or otherwise) whether or not there is an availability issue.
AndyGTi wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:08 pm It does look like there is no room for a 1.5 Polo to fit into pricelist. I wondered if VW UK were trying to push GTI with a lower price point but after playing around on VW Germany website and converting currencies, they seem to pretty well match (UK GTI price v German price)

So I’m now thinking that there was an intention back in June 2017 to give a 1.5 engine option but after everyone at VW has discussed it maybe they don’t want people downsizing and leaving the Golf. A lot of reviews have commented about do you need something the size of a Golf when Polo does so much with its increased size.

But how about this idea. They are holding back on the 1.5 engine ( and hopefully a Polo R) until Mk8 Golf comes out and puts more distance between the models. How does that sound?
I think that’s a very good point Andy. There've been discussions on various forums on the power output of the Polo GTI and why it’s not higher. The general consensus is that to increase the power output would move the Polo GTI too close to that of the Golf GTI, potentially resulting in lost Golf GTI sales. So, it's a reasonable assumption that with a 1.5 Evo engined Polo in the range, that could also have negative sales impacts for Golf models fitted with this engine, when VW will want to keep Golf sales buoyant until the new mk8 Golf appears next year.

I think you’re right; it’s likely we’ll have to wait until the mk8 Golf arrives before we see the 1.5 Evo engine in the Polo........ :sad:
GolfDriver
New
Drives: On my 5th Golf but tempted by new Polo

Post by GolfDriver »

I had my sights on a 1.5. To me I feel a 1.0 just isn't enough. I can imagine having to work the engine hard, something I don't have to do with my 1.4 TSI. Why don't they have a 1.4 engine. Such a shame. Might just have to wait for the MK 8 Golf.
matthew.bicknell
New
Drives: Polo GTI 2016

Post by matthew.bicknell »

Hi all,

I've just been chatting to VW UK about the 1.5 engine for the new polo.

from what they are saying it is hoped the engine should become available in the coming months and is still on the cards!

They also said it will most likely only be available on the R-Line model and should be available in both DSG and Manual versions.

Hope this helps

Matt :)
GolfDriver
New

Post by GolfDriver »

Thanks Matt for the update. I really hope it materialises. I have a 1.4 TSI on a Golf and the engine is superb.

I just can't imagine driving a 1.0 engined car and feeling the engine isn't being worked too hard.
matthew.bicknell
New
Drives: Polo GTI 2016

Post by matthew.bicknell »

The 1.5 TSi is a great engine. My parents have it in their A3 as a DSG. Tried it a few weeks ago, extremely quiet and has a lot of power too.

Hopefully it comes to the polo soon.
Cadwest
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Cadwest »

As from April the 1.5 engine has been dropped from the Seat Ibiza and Arona range with no explanation given. According to people on the Seat forum it’s because of the September emissions changes but local dealers are saying that it should be reintroduced in late 2018 so hopefully VW will add it to the engine range then.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

matthew.bicknell wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:54 pm The 1.5 TSi is a great engine. My parents have it in their A3 as a DSG. Tried it a few weeks ago, extremely quiet and has a lot of power too.

Hopefully it comes to the polo soon.
It’ll be interesting to see what the price point is of a 1.5 Evo engined Polo R-Line in the Polo range. From previous discussions on the forum a few months ago, it was looking like the basic list price would be higher than the list price of the Polo GTI. Add a few options, and you could probably end up with a car costing more than a GTI Plus - see last post in the discussion thread at the link below;

https://uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=71006

In spite of the VW live chat message posted earlier in this thread, when the R-Line with this engine appeared in the first price list (without a price shown), it was DSG only, so a manual version may not happen.
Wetherfell
New
Drives: None at present

Post by Wetherfell »

Ford have created a similar situation with the new Fiesta. The ST Line X 1.0 140ps 3 door lists at £19,315, while the "full fat" ST 1.5 200ps has been announced with a starting list price of £18,995 for the 3 door ST-1. The justification being that the former is much more highly specified than the basic version of the ST (which goes up to £22,145 for a 5 door ST-3).
GolfDriver
New

Post by GolfDriver »

Doesn't look as if the Polo is going to be getting the 1.5 TSI engine. Don't really want to buy a Golf now with the MK8 not that far away.

Been looking at the new Audi A1 due soon. It has a 1.5 TSI engine so l think I will buy one of those.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

GolfDriver wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:50 pm Doesn't look as if the Polo is going to be getting the 1.5 TSI engine. Don't really want to buy a Golf now with the MK8 not that far away.

Been looking at the new Audi A1 due soon. It has a 1.5 TSI engine so l think I will buy one of those.
I know it’s been discussed periodically since the launch of the current Polo, but is it official news that the Polo won’t be getting the 1.5 EVO engine or speculation? I’d assumed that it might appear once it had gained WLTP type approval.