Video of Polo GTI with standard Parker 17” Alloys

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Video of Polo GTI with standard Parker 17” Alloys

Post by SRGTD »

In all the pictures and video reviews I’ve seen of the Polo GTI / GTI+ up until now, all the cars featured have been fitted with the optional 18” Brescia alloys; I’d not seen any pictures of one with the standard 17” Parker alloys.

Just found this video on YouTube that might be of interest to anyone who’s ordered their GTI / GTI+ with the standard Parker alloy wheels. The car in the video is a Deep Black Pearl GTI - I think this is also the first black GTI I’ve seen too (most have been red or white);

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jzfdsmLdP-U

I think it looks good in black, although it’s quite hard work keeping a black car looking good. I have to say that although I’m not a fan of diamond cut alloys, I think the Parkers look quite good, and IMO the 17” wheels don’t look too small. They should give a slightly more compliant ride than a car fitted with the optional 18” Brescias (although the brand of tyres fitted will also be a factor in ride comfort). The car in the video also has the optional alcantara seats which I’m not a fan of - IMO the alcantara makes the interior look rather dull. I much prefer the standard tartan check seats, which are the GTi trademark and I think makes the car look special.

Enjoy the video. :)
fazzy
Bronze Member
Drives: GTi++/TT/TDi/190E

Re: Video of Polo GTI with standard Parker 17” Alloys

Post by fazzy »

Took me a while to figure out what the hell is a Parker wheel... :)
The rest of the world knows them as 17" Milton Keynes Alloys :)
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Post by peeceeuk »

Could also give more clearance in the wheel arch, an issue that Monkeyhanger has been looking into recently.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

fazzy wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:43 pm Took me a while to figure out what the hell is a Parker wheel... :)
Yes, I think it’s only the UK that call that design of wheel Parker. To us in the UK, Milton Keynes is a town, and it’s also where the UK headquarters of VW is located.
Martin-GTi
New
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI+

Post by Martin-GTi »

peeceeuk wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:05 pm Could also give more clearance in the wheel arch, an issue that Monkeyhanger has been looking into recently.
I think the 18” Brescia wheels have a lower profile tyre, so the circumference is pretty much the same (the suspension probably has to work a bit harder though).

Fazzy: Milton Keynes is a ‘new town’ in the UK and doesn’t have the best reputation, so Parkers probably suited the VW PR people better. My 3 week old motorcycle was stolen from there many years ago and I swore I’d never go back!!
peeceeuk
Bronze Member

Post by peeceeuk »

It is also known for its straight and grid like road network so perhaps they are covertly suggesting they're not the best wheels if you want to negotiate corners.
fazzy
Bronze Member
Drives: GTi++/TT/TDi/190E

Post by fazzy »

SRGTD wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:10 pm
fazzy wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:43 pm Took me a while to figure out what the hell is a Parker wheel... :)
Yes, I think it’s only the UK that call that design of wheel Parker. To us in the UK, Milton Keynes is a town, and it’s also where the UK headquarters of VW is located.
SRGTD, Martin-GTi,
I heard about the town Milton Keynes. I think I passed it driving on the M1 two weeks ago when I was in the UK.
For interest sake, all the alloys from VW are named after towns. Brescia for example is a small town in Italy, not far from Milan. :)
I just couldn't figure out why "Parker" :)
peeceeuk
Bronze Member

Post by peeceeuk »

Better for parking than all out driving?
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Martin-GTi wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:13 pm
peeceeuk wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:05 pm Could also give more clearance in the wheel arch, an issue that Monkeyhanger has been looking into recently.
I think the 18” Brescia wheels have a lower profile tyre, so the circumference is pretty much the same (the suspension probably has to work a bit harder.
Almost identical diameter 215/40 R18 is 629.2mm (excluding tread height), 215/45 R17 is 625.3mm.

I think there's been some misunderstanding about the clearance I was looking to check with everyone else for with Brescias. It's the clearance between the inner tyre rim (not the tread face to rear of arch where it meets the bumper) and the wheel arch lining directly behind it (near the suspension strut and fuel tank filler neck) as you look at the full wheel.
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

Martin-GTi wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:13 pm
I think the 18” Brescia wheels have a lower profile tyre, so the circumference is pretty much the same (the suspension probably has to work a bit harder though).

Fazzy: Milton Keynes is a ‘new town’ in the UK and doesn’t have the best reputation, so Parkers probably suited the VW PR people better. My 3 week old motorcycle was stolen from there many years ago and I swore I’d never go back!!
You are right. Brescia comes with 215x40 R18 and Parker come with 215x45 R17 so it will be almost same

/I see somebody already answered that :oops: