Collected my new Polo yesterday.

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Re: Collected my new Polo yesterday.

Post by Leif »

SRGTD: Thank you, that is an excellent post. You’re right, I’ve had intermittent unreproducibke faults in other cars, dealer does nowt. I will do exactly as you suggest. 8)
Oli3000
Getting There!
Drives: 6C 1.0tsi 110 6spd man SEL

Post by Oli3000 »

Also try holding the button in for 10 seconds for hard reset.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

Oli3000 wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:10 pm Also try holding the button in for 10 seconds for hard reset.
The radio on off button?
Oli3000
Getting There!
Drives: 6C 1.0tsi 110 6spd man SEL

Post by Oli3000 »

Leif wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:33 pm
Oli3000 wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:10 pm Also try holding the button in for 10 seconds for hard reset.
The radio on off button?
Yep
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

Oli3000 wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:44 pm
Leif wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:33 pm
The radio on off button?
Yep
Thanks.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

Coming home this evening, I was rounding a bend at 30mph and the emergency braking kicked in for a second or so. It scared me witless. Fortunately I was not being tailgated, otherwise I’d have a dent in the rear. I should have a video of the braking although I cannot prove it wasn’t me that did it. I’m starting to wonder if the ECU is fit for purpose.
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

Leif wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:21 pm Coming home this evening, I was rounding a bend at 30mph and the emergency braking kicked in for a second or so. It scared me witless. Fortunately I was not being tailgated, otherwise I’d have a dent in the rear. I should have a video of the braking although I cannot prove it wasn’t me that did it. I’m starting to wonder if the ECU is fit for purpose.
That's probably the most worrying thing on your posts so far, at least for me. I like the idea of the autonomous city break, but only to stop me in a real situation. Do not like the idea of the car just throwing out the anchors, On paper it seems like a good idea.

I was hoping it would stop me running into the back of the next nervous 80 year old who suddenly aborts a perfectly good pull out at a busy round-a-bout. You know the one, you have been queuing for a while worked your way to number two on the runway, the Hyundai i10 in front has just missed 2 huge gaps that just never happen on this junction. Then the next huge gap comes, his break lights go off he starts rolling, you look right for you gap roll forward, spot your gap... turn to look front and thud. the idjut must have backed out of their gap. ..well ( I thought) step up Auto city breaking and im home free. Its only happened to me once in 20 years of driving, and upon getting out of the car, usual photos, I am confronted with an 80+ year old who had too put glasses on to see me!. ffs. first thing he said? "this keeps happening to me"! 3rd time this week. I suggested that maybe he should put his glasses on whilst driving. Just a friendly suggestion. Anyhow, I was hoping auto city breaking would avoid this. :roll: rant over.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

Apparently this is not uncommon on some cars such as the Honda Civic. :shock:

Mike: it can happen to us all. I’ve had two crash for cash scenarios in 20 years, one caught on video passed to the police. I avoided a crash, but it only takes a little inattention and/or sleepiness and bang. The scariest incident was being tailgated while doing a high speed overtake. I know how good these automatic driving systems can be, ABS and traction control have saved me from myself several times and allowed me to learn from mistakes. I can disable the emergency braking but I’d rather not.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

There have been a few ‘false alarms’ reported by mk7 Golf owners on some of the Golf forums. Apparently, something like an empty metallic crisp packet blowing across the road in front of the sensor can cause the car to brake, as the car ‘sees’ this as a metal object that is too close to the front of the car for safety’s sake, so assumes an imminent collision.

@Leif; in the Golf, I believe there’s an audible warning and a visual warning symbol displayed in the instrument panel, which in theory gives you time to apply the brakes before the car does it for you - if the Polo also has this, assume a light touch of the brakes if the warning is heard/displayed will stop the car applying the emergency braking, as it will recognise the driver has reacted to the warning. Also is there anything in the vehicle settings that allows you to change the sensitivity of the emergency braking?
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

The dashboard braking assist symbols lit up at the same time as it braked so there was no forewarning. Yes it might have been debris blowing around that did it. As far as I know I can only disable it, not adjust its sensitivity.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Leif wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:53 pm The dashboard braking assist symbols lit up at the same time as it braked so there was no forewarning. Yes it might have been debris blowing around that did it. As far as I know I can only disable it, not adjust its sensitivity.
WOW a little nervous now on this option. I was wondering if it could tell the difference between small items of debris and a car or pedestrian. At least it can be disabled, Maybe its something the dealer can adjust.

I saw your comment of the tailgating thing, that must have been scary, I just do not get the whole tailgating thing, if some tailgates me I tend to slow down as gently as possible. until I feel its safe to get out of their way.

Separately, I am seriously considering getting a dash cam. I have had a couple of cars cut me up recently, it just seems the driving is getting less patient out there. :x
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

SRGTD wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:27 am There have been a few ‘false alarms’ reported by mk7 Golf owners on some of the Golf forums. Apparently, something like an empty metallic crisp packet blowing across the road in front of the sensor can cause the car to brake, as the car ‘sees’ this as a metal object that is too close to the front of the car for safety’s sake, so assumes an imminent collision.

@Leif; in the Golf, I believe there’s an audible warning and a visual warning symbol displayed in the instrument panel, which in theory gives you time to apply the brakes before the car does it for you - if the Polo also has this, assume a light touch of the brakes if the warning is heard/displayed will stop the car applying the emergency braking, as it will recognise the driver has reacted to the warning. Also is there anything in the vehicle settings that allows you to change the sensitivity of the emergency braking?
It's no false alarm: it has happened to me only a couple of times mind, makes you jump out of your skin I can tell you. Think you can disable it not sure.

Modern safety systems are all well and good, but you still need to rely on your Mk1 human eyball and Mk1 original human CPU hopefully programmed with experience to protect you, your passengers and (arguably much more importantly !) your car. Always assume that vehicles bigger than you (some cars, buses, trucks etc) may try to take you out and vehicles smaller than you (some cars, bikers, cyclists, pedestrians) may try to involve you in their desire to become road kill. I speak as a cyclist, ex-biker and a motorist who in all seriousness probably saves at least 2 lives a month of folk just not looking where they are going....
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

stevereeves wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:23 am
SRGTD wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:27 am There have been a few ‘false alarms’ reported by mk7 Golf owners on some of the Golf forums. Apparently, something like an empty metallic crisp packet blowing across the road in front of the sensor can cause the car to brake, as the car ‘sees’ this as a metal object that is too close to the front of the car for safety’s sake, so assumes an imminent collision.

It's no false alarm: it has happened to me only a couple of times mind, makes you jump out of your skin I can tell you. Think you can disable it not sure.

Modern safety systems are all well and good, but you still need to rely on your Mk1 human eyball and Mk1 original human CPU hopefully programmed with experience to protect you, your passengers and (arguably much more importantly !) your car. Always assume that vehicles bigger than you (some cars, buses, trucks etc) may try to take you out and vehicles smaller than you (some cars, bikers, cyclists, pedestrians) may try to involve you in their desire to become road kill. I speak as a cyclist, ex-biker and a motorist who in all seriousness probably saves at least 2 lives a month of folk just not looking where they are going....
Agreed the safety systems are a back up to our wits. As humans even if we function brilliantly we will never be 100% I suppose with the aid of these safety systems we could close off most of the remaining 1%. but not if the emergency breaks slam on without warning for no reason. That's a rear end just waiting to happen.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

True ^^. The best defence is to anticipate potenial hazards and therefore buy more time to react, which comes with experience. Opening big mouth in 20ish years of driving the only things I've 'hit' are: clipped a kerb once (cracked wheel trim), slightly scraped a mirror on garage door (polished out) and lightly bumped a barrier when reversing (bit of touch up paint). Other than city traffic 80% of the time nothing much happens but you need to be ready, just in case. And 99.9% of the time cars are the best overall, everyday mode of transport, though on warm sunny days motorbikes rule :D ....
lewiskr3
New
Drives: New Polo 2018

Post by lewiskr3 »

New to the forums, thought I would join.

Picked up my new Polo SE 95 1.0 TSI. Absolutely thrilled with it. You really can't tell it's a 1 litre as it packs a nice little punch, perfect around town and can hold its own on motorways.

Ordered early Feb and added parking sensors and got armrest chucked in for free, slight delay in South Africa. Energetic Orange really looks great in the sunshine.

Overall. Thoroughly enjoying it and happy with purchase :)