Collected my new Polo yesterday.

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Collected my new Polo yesterday.

Post by Leif »

I picked up a base spec SE 95 PS with Seyne alloy wheels in reflex silver. Oddly enough it was only a week ago that I decided I needed a new car to replace my 2012 VW TakeUp with 130,000 miles on the clock. I asked several dealers if they would match an online broker’s price. Both said not on a factory build, for which there is a 4-6 month wait, but they would on an off the shelf car, if the deal was done by the end of March, which really meant by last Sunday. So I bought one from the local dealer who normally services my Up. They have always been very good so I’d rather they got the sale. I didn’t need any options, although I do think the colours are all a bit boring, apart from the blue but I was unable to find a car in that colour to see if a I liked it. The orange is lovely, but I thought I might tire of it. So I played safe and went for silver.

I’m impressed with the Polo. Base spec SE but it has PAS, ABS, traction control, automatic emergency braking, heated electrically adjustable wing mirrors, fully adjustable seats, a huge touchscreen with DAB radio, six speakers, Apple CarPlay, I can connect my iPhone and use it as a hands free phone controlled from the steering wheel, and see car info such as mileage, loads of room in the rear sears, a huge boot, a decent engine, auto stop-start, and so on.

As for the Up, six years, 130,000 miles, and faultless. I was usually getting over 60 mpg too. What more can you ask?

I think the Up is a bit more fun to drive, as you feel closer to the road, but I’ve always found that smaller is more fun, but less spacious.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Collected my new Polo yesterday.

Post by SRGTD »

Congratulations. If you’re not too bothered about the colour or having certain specific options, buying one that a dealer has in stock certainly avoids the frustration of a 4-6 month wait for a factory build.

Enjoy your new car!
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

When I bought my wife a new Polo 1.2TSI SEL 110PS 5 Door back in April 2015, I had already checked all the broker prices, well 3 anyway and I was changing to that car from a 2002 9N Polo 1.4 16V SE 5 Door with 103K miles and it had been personally imported from Holland by me - well in name my wife, so there was very little value left on that car due to it being an import, age and mileage.

So, I speced up a new Polo with all the options I thought it needed, did my sums by getting prices from 3 brokers, put a very low price on the old car, typical of what it would earn selling privately, made up a word document which resembled a Quote To Supply a new car, I had added in what I thought was reasonable inconvenience costs that I would have saved by buying locally, and handed that over to my car salesman - who shook my hand 5 minutes later.

I've always found that talking and discussing prices add-ons etc is all about getting you a bit excited and confused, if you have done all that back home some time earlier and put it down in document form, and are in a position to walk away if that exact deal is not on the table, then you have taken control completely away from your salesman in his showroom - all he can say is "yes" or "no" - and I made that clear to him as politely as possible, I'll do that again next time.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

SRGTD: thanks.

RUM4MO: yes, at both garages they just had a chat with the boss, and said yes as long as it was before close on Sunday. I actually got confused about the pricing when I collected it, thinking something was wrong, and the sales chap threw in two free services. He needed his five star customer review. Later on I realised that the £15000 cost included £500 paid by VW for taking out PCP, which is why I thought the price was too high. So I feel rather guilty and I will speak with him, and ask him to remove the free servicing. That might sound odd, but it was my mistake. I got an excellent deal, and they did not included the broker’s fee when price matching.

I’ve taken it out a few times now, and it drives nicely. Given all the reviews that say it is not brilliant to drive, I actually find it good. Nice light steering, nice gear change, not wallow unlike s9me earlier Polos. Comfortable, a nice engine, fantastic integration with my iPhone, although a plug in cradle would be even better. I got my hockey kit into the boot, which I could not do with the Up. Oddly it seems no quieter or smoother than my Up, that says a lot for the Up.
derkie54
Getting There!
Drives: 2016 Polo 1.0 110PS TSI SEL 5 Door

Post by derkie54 »

The Polo Probably has the same engine as the UP TSI and a similar suspension which is why it doesn't feel quieter or smoother, although the Polo is a more expensive car so you would expect more sound deadening material in it.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

After a drive this evening, I’m sure the Polo is quieter, especially in the wet. I’ve driven Golfs from the local garage, and they are comparable. I am sure the new Polo is a better drive than the old one, more positive and precise IMO. The engine has a bit of turbo lag, which seems to be common with the VW TSI units.

The audio with my iPhone is marvellous.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

Well, less than one week of ownership and it has broken down. Driving home this evening in torrential rain and the front wipers stopped, forcing me to drive home slowly with hazard lights on. The AA chap visited, thanks to free recovery from VW, and tested the fuses and they are fine. He was unable to connec5 to the computer because the model is so new that Bosch do not have the car details. Fortunately I still have my Up as the Polo is not safe in this weather. Thank goodness I bought a new car, as it would be more reliable than used ... :shock:
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

@Leif; Sorry to hear that - being without functioning wipers in torrential rain isn’t what you want to have happen on any car, let alone a brand new one.

Hopefully it’s a simple fix and once sorted, you won’t have any more problems.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

Cheers. The front wipers, as well as the front and rear screen wash motors, are not working. I'm off to the dealer's tomorrow morning, so I'll find out what the issue is. The old Polo had a good reliability record, hopefully this one will too, I think some of the older ones were made in SA like the new one.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

Well it’s not a blown fuse and it’s not fixable with a reset, or disconnecting the battery, so they are going to look at it on Tuesday. They were too busy today with servicing. They said the computer was unable to see the wipers, whether that means a blown motor, or blown control circuits I know not. In the meantime I have a black Polo SE on loan.

I only hope this is a one off, rather than indicative of future issues.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

Turns out the problem was a broken switch or relay in the steering column. They had to take a lot of bits apart before they found the culprit! I collect the car tomorrow, and I need to take the spare key with me so they can reprogram it to the car. :D
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Glad they got it sorted for you. Hopefully, trouble-free motoring from now on (fingers crossed 🤞).
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

The car is fixed, and I must admit I like this car more each day. Journalists always say the Fiesta is a better drive, but I had several as loaners while my Ford was being fixed, albeit six+ years ago and they always felt cheap, and they were noisy, and crude. This Polo is so comfy, the infotainment (horrible word) system is wonderful, and it drives so well. I drive round the local winding country lanes, and it corners so well, it feels planted, it’s a really nice drive. And I can get my hockey kit in the boot without folding the seats down, and the sticks go in the back. There is so much room. Lovely car.

The only small criticism is the boring colours. I’d love a beautiful sky blue, or a cherry red, or a golden yellow.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

Stopped at the Co Op on the way home, and after parking I couldn’t turn off the radio. No keys in the ignition, the radio would not turn off using the knob, and the volume would not change. Put keys back in, nope. Used steering wheel controls to disable the radio, nope, tried to adjust volume from steering wheel, nope. After five minutes it went off. This concerned me as it could potentially drain the battery.

:cry: Do I contact the dealer and explain? Or do I make a note, and ignore it unless it happens again? I’m thinking the latter.

I’d be interested to hear from others who are in possession of the car.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Leif wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:44 pm Stopped at the Co Op on the way home, and after parking I couldn’t turn off the radio. No keys in the ignition, the radio would not turn off using the knob, and the volume would not change. Put keys back in, nope. Used steering wheel controls to disable the radio, nope, tried to adjust volume from steering wheel, nope. After five minutes it went off. This concerned me as it could potentially drain the battery.

:cry: Do I contact the dealer and explain? Or do I make a note, and ignore it unless it happens again? I’m thinking the latter.

I’d be interested to hear from others who are in possession of the car.
Likely scenario if you take it to the dealer;

Dealer: ‘We’ve investigated and we couldn’t replicate the situation’.

If the dealer can’t replicate the issue and find anything wrong, they can’t / won’t fix anything. If I was in your position and it happens again, I’d video it on my phone as evidence of the infotainment unit not reacting to all/any attempts to turn it off. You can then go to the dealer and give them evidence of the problem and ask for them to fix it. More difficult for them to say there isn’t an issue if you’ve given them video evidence.