First new car!

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
TheNorthPolo
New
Drives: Polo MK10 BMT 1.0 115

First new car!

Post by TheNorthPolo »

Hey,

After spending the last 3 months looking for a vehicle I finally just picked one. I was on the verge of insanity.
Here are the first pics of my Polo still at the stealership. I was told it will be ready on monday.

The one I test drove was a white one. This one is a "Deep Black Pearl" BMT 1.0 TSI 115

Build:
Highline
Keyless Entry
Reverse Camera
Active Info Display
Tinted Rear Windows
Climatronic
Rain Sensor

I didn't build it myself, it had just arrived at the dealership and I decided to pull the trigger. I realise I'm about 5000 pounds off a base GTI, but I'm really in a situation where I need a vehicle and not willing to wait for months for it to be built.

I wish it had LED lights and I wish it came with some 17" alloys. What rims do you guys reckon looks good on a car like this :) ?

- Barry
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Re: First new car!

Post by mike sel »

Hi there.

I get what you are saying on the LEDs but they are nearly £1000 here and I'm not sure what you gain except what other people will see. If its illuminating the road your concerned with I'm sure there are loads of after market LED headlight bulbs available.

As for the alloys, I like the 16" ones you have there, at 17" the ride could be a little hard?

Nice choice of car. What swung you to a VW Polo in the end?
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

Yes, those are really nice allow wheels, nicer than mine. Stick with smaller wheels. Looks like the car park is hewn into the side of a mountain!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

@TheNorthPolo. Congratulations on your new car. Great forum name by the way, bearing in mind your location! IMO, black cars can be a labour of love, but black does look fantastic if you put in the time and effort to keep it clean.

From the photos, I like your wheels. I’d imagine you might get some quite harsh weather where you live, so a powder coated finish Is much more durable and able to stand up to harsh weather conditions much better than a diamond cut / machined finish would. So, if you do decide to get larger wheels, I’d recommend you stick with something that’s powder coated and not diamond cut, and a simple spoked design that’s easy to keep clean. Also, ensure that the bolt pattern and centre bore are correct for the Polo, and the offset isn’t too aggressive, so you don’t experience ‘rubbing’ issues. In the UK, fitting different wheels is classed as a modification for insurance purposes and you need to inform your insurer, otherwise you could invalidate your insurance, so you’d need to check out the insurance implications of fitting different wheels in the Faroe Islands. However, as I said, I like your wheels and think they suit the car, and I wouldn’t be thinking of changing them - there’s the additional cost of new tyres to consider too.

I wouldn’t worry too much about not getting the LED’s. Unless you’ve had LED’s before, you probably won’t miss not getting them. I would advise against putting LED bulbs in a reflector headlamp unit designed for halogen bulbs though, as you are unlikely to see an improvement in headlight performance. The light from the LED bulb will be ‘scattered’ far and wide, rather than giving a good beam pattern that focuses on the road in front of your car. All you’re likely to achieve is dazzling oncoming motorists, and they won’t think you for doing that! Better to upgrade your bulbs with some better halogen bulbs if you feel you need to.

Enjoy your new car. I look forward to updates on how you get on with it. :)
TheNorthPolo
New

Post by TheNorthPolo »

Thanks for all the comments and feedback. You guys are super helpful. I'll make sure to answer every post once I'm on a pc.

I drove by the shop today, turns out they have been working overtime to ensure my delivery. :D

They cleaned it up and moved it inside.

Looks so nice.

mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

Looks super nice. big thumbs up.
wizzywig27
Getting There!
Drives: GTI

Post by wizzywig27 »

Is that an R-Line?

Similar to my SE but I have upgraded alloys
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

OP’s car is a Highline;
TheNorthPolo wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:46 pm Hey,

After spending the last 3 months looking for a vehicle I finally just picked one. I was on the verge of insanity.
Here are the first pics of my Polo still at the stealership. I was told it will be ready on monday.

The one I test drove was a white one. This one is a "Deep Black Pearl" BMT 1.0 TSI 115

Build:
Highline
Keyless Entry
Reverse Camera
Active Info Display
Tinted Rear Windows
Climatronic
Rain Sensor

I didn't build it myself, it had just arrived at the dealership and I decided to pull the trigger. I realise I'm about 5000 pounds off a base GTI, but I'm really in a situation where I need a vehicle and not willing to wait for months for it to be built.

I wish it had LED lights and I wish it came with some 17" alloys. What rims do you guys reckon looks good on a car like this :) ?

- Barry
Not all markets get the same trim levels as the UK. I think some markets, the equivalent models to the UK S, SE and SEL models are Trendline, Comfortline and Highline so that would put a Highline on a par with the SEL in the UK. The spec of a Highline won’t necessarily be the same as the SEL in the UK as model specs will differ from country to country.
TheNorthPolo
New

Post by TheNorthPolo »

The more I look at this car, the more I love it.

SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

TheNorthPolo wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:09 pm The more I look at this car, the more I love it.

Nice 8). And the scenery is pretty good too!
TheNorthPolo
New

Post by TheNorthPolo »

mike sel wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:13 am Nice choice of car. What swung you to a VW Polo in the end?
My first car was a used Golf GTI MK4. Having loved VW ever since and with the new wider appearance of the new Polo it was a pretty good match.
Leif wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:05 am Yes, those are really nice allow wheels, nicer than mine. Stick with smaller wheels.
I've come to like them aswell.
SRGTD wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:19 am @TheNorthPolo. Congratulations on your new car. Great forum name by the way, bearing in mind your location! IMO, black cars can be a labour of love, but black does look fantastic if you put in the time and effort to keep it clean.

Enjoy your new car. I look forward to updates on how you get on with it. :)
Hey buddy, thanks for the very helpful and informative post. I'm really enjoying it. Takes a while to get used to driving such a small engine. We have a lot of elevation. Many steep hills. You can go from flat to a 30 degree incline in just a few meters. So you need to keep in mind that your small car won't just fly up the hill in third gear :lol: . A lot of downshifting.

Bought a foamgun. Had to test it out. Here are some pics after a quick wash.

Love that front profile.

Pictures taken with my toaster.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

Looking good....