How to confirm engine capacity/ ps ?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Choonzy
New
Drives: 95ps 2018

How to confirm engine capacity/ ps ?

Post by Choonzy »

Morning all.

I just don't trust that VW have supplied me with a new vehicle to my specifications. In this case I have suspicions it's the 115ps model that I have and not the 95ps.
That's no bad thing but I'd like to be able to physically check..
The acceleration seems high for a 1.0 95ps and the gearing is so high that you really labour in 4th at 40mph

Are there giveaway markings/ numbers etc on tthe be engine ?

Thanks
Steve.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: How to confirm engine capacity/ ps ?

Post by SRGTD »

Your V5 registration document will show the engine power of your car in kilowatts; about half way down the second page of the document. 95ps is 70kw, 115ps is 85kw.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

The build label in the car, if they are still fitted in the paperwork first page and inside the spare wheel well, will define the engine code, each engine type with a choice of power outputs will have its own probably 4 letter code.

I'd be very surprised is there is not a paper label on the engine somewhere that also has this engine code and its serial number, I don't have a 1.0TSI or a brand new Polo so I can't be any more exact than the guesses I've suggested based on how VW Group have done this in the recent past.

If you ran a scan on that car it would reveal its engine type, but it sounds like you don't have VCDS

Second Edit:- I initially posted the 2 probable engine codes based on facts from a parts web cat - it and so they were wrong as they are the codes for the 1.2TSI!! So, don't always trust web based "facts"!
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

Choonzy wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:46 am Morning all.

I just don't trust that VW have supplied me with a new vehicle to my specifications. In this case I have suspicions it's the 115ps model that I have and not the 95ps.
That's no bad thing but I'd like to be able to physically check..
The acceleration seems high for a 1.0 95ps and the gearing is so high that you really labour in 4th at 40mph

Are there giveaway markings/ numbers etc on tthe be engine ?

Thanks
Steve.
The 115ps manual has 6 gears the 95 has 5 simples.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Now a member has told you how to find if you have a 115 BHP engine (6 speed box) What engine do you have?????????
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

silverhairs wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 3:20 pm Now a member has told you how to find if you have a 115 BHP engine (6 speed box) What engine do you have?????????
There will always be a small number of people who join a forum to ask one or two specific questions, and they then ‘disappear’ and become dormant.

IMO, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that; there’s an awful lot of knowledgeable and enthusiastic existing (and forthcoming) Polo owners who are very happy and more then willing to provide help and assistance to all, and a forum is a great place to ask. It’s those knowledgeable and enthusiastic members - old and new - that keep the forum alive, and make it a valuable information resource for others, and a great place for friendly banter and exchange of views and opinions.

However, I do find it a little disappointing if the one-time / two-time posters don’t acknowledge the help or assistance they’ve been given, or don’t provide an update or outcome on the question or issue they raised. Probably an age thing on my part, and much to do with the era I grew up in! 😁

I maybe wrong but I suspect the originator of this thread may have become a dormant forum member as they’ve not logged on to the forum since 10th April when they started this discussion thread. So we may never find out if the engine in their car is 115 or 95ps. 🤔
TElwoody
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo 2018

Post by TElwoody »

Most VW group cars outperform their stated figures in terms of speed and acceleration by quite a margin.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

Peeps post as much, or as little, as they feel. But agree, aknowledgement of supplied info is the way to play the game: an issue that cases one person to tear their hair out, can have obvious solution from the next. We're all just here to swap info on cars and thereby help each other....
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

TElwoody wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 10:09 pm Most VW group cars outperform their stated figures in terms of speed and acceleration by quite a margin.
Good to know :D
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

TElwoody wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 10:09 pm Most VW group cars outperform their stated figures in terms of speed and acceleration by quite a margin.
Is this true of most/any other brands?

My VW Up did 110 mph indicated which probably means 100 mph actual which is the stated max speed. It certainly felt for more perky than the 0-60 mph figure suggested.
Scott H
New
Drives: Fiesta ST3 and Polo GTI+ not so soon

Post by Scott H »

seems to be true to some extent. the quoted Polo GTI 0-62mph is 6.7secs but i've seen it done in 6.3s in numerous videos and 6.0 in another.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Perhaps 6.7 is out of the box perfornance. VW do seem to understate output and they do really loosen up when they run in. A good, varied run in is crucial to get the best power, economy and low oil usage.

Had 7 VWs and an Audi from bew, and the one that was run in on motorway miles was sluggish, thirsty and used a litre of oil every 1500 miles.
alandbess
Bronze Member
Drives: Scirocco

Post by alandbess »

Scott H wrote:seems to be true to some extent. the quoted Polo GTI 0-62mph is 6.7secs but i've seen it done in 6.3s in numerous videos and 6.0 in another.
I've seen it done in 6.0 with launch enabled...

https://youtu.be/Qs15s4-S8tU

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

alandbess
Bronze Member

Post by alandbess »

Scott H wrote:seems to be true to some extent. the quoted Polo GTI 0-62mph is 6.7secs but i've seen it done in 6.3s in numerous videos and 6.0 in another.
I've seen it done in 6.0 with launch enabled...

https://youtu.be/Qs15s4-S8tU

alandbess
Bronze Member

Post by alandbess »

Looks like my phone's playing up