Polo window tinting

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
spockzie
New
Drives: Polo Mk6 Tsi 2018

Polo window tinting

Post by spockzie »

I received my new Polo ten days ago and want to have my windows tinted for privacy and security.

If you have 1st hand experience of tinted windows can you recommend what percentage tint you were happy with or unhappy with?

Would you recommend I have my rear window tinted and what percentage?

Sent from my SM-J730F using Tapatalk

SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Polo window tinting

Post by SRGTD »

If you carry items in the rear passenger compartment that you’d prefer others outside your car not to see, or your rear seat passengers like the additional privacy that tints would give them, them it is probably a good idea.

My 2016 Polo has 65% rear tints as standard and for me, I think that’s about right. If you click on the picture to enlarge it, hopefully you can see the contrast between the front and rear windows in the photo below. They restrict people outside the car from seeing in, but they’re not so dark that it makes the car look as if the windows are completely blacked out.

VW offer a 90% tint on some models of the Golf and IMO it looks very dark. On a black three door Golf with 90% tints, I think it makes the car look like a van.

If you Google ‘mk7 VW golf 90% tints’ you’ll see some examples of what a 90% tint looks like. You’ll need to pick through the pictures though, as there are also some amongst them with the ‘standard’ 65% tints.

Bear in mind that aftermarket tinted windows are considered to be a vehicle modification for the purposes of insurance so you would need to inform your insurer, and they may charge you an increased premium. Not informing your insurer could invalidate your insurance cover.
Attachments
0917C2ED-C11A-47FA-A2B5-67A37936C1CF.jpeg
wizzywig27
Getting There!
Drives: GTI

Post by wizzywig27 »

SRGTD wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:00 pm Bear in mind that aftermarket tinted windows are considered to be a vehicle modification for the purposes of insurance so you would need to inform your insurer, and they may charge you an increased premium. Not informing your insurer could invalidate your insurance cover.
You love your declaration’s regarding insurance don’t you, lol.

I’ve had mine done and looks really good. I went for 80%
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

wizzywig27 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:47 am
SRGTD wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:00 pm Bear in mind that aftermarket tinted windows are considered to be a vehicle modification for the purposes of insurance so you would need to inform your insurer, and they may charge you an increased premium. Not informing your insurer could invalidate your insurance cover.
You love your declaration’s regarding insurance don’t you, lol.
Ha ha! Surprisingly, based on what I’ve seen on various forums over the years, it seems that not everyone's aware of the need to inform their insurer (in the UK at least) of changes they make to their car, so just making them aware :D

On a serious note, what are the possible outcomes if someone modifies their car, haven’t told their insurer about the modifications and their car then sustains damage? If the insurer inspects the car prior to repair and spots the modifications, there could be a number of outcomes (there may be more);
  • they decline the claim
  • they pay for repairs to the car, but to factory spec, so all the modifications are lost
  • they pay for repairs to the car and apply an increased excess
  • they pay for repairs to the car to the modified spec, but charge an increased premium for previous periods of cover to reflect what they would have charged if they’d known about the modifications
Modifying a car normally represents an increased insurance risk - usually performance related or cosmetic;
  • performance / suspension-related changes may change the car’s power output and handling capabilities, so it represents a different insurance risk to the ‘standard’ car
  • cosmetic changes may make a car more desirable from a theft point of view, so increases the theft risk
Performance or cosmetic modifications would normally make a car more expensive for an insurer to repair - more costly parts, possible increased costs in sourcing the parts, fitting modified parts might take longer, adding to labour costs for repairs.

Informing the insurer gives them the opportunity of assessing any increased risk that the modifications represent, so they can decide whether or not an additional premium is required. I doubt that most insurers would consider tinting the rear windows of a car to represent an increased risk, so probably wouldn’t charge any extra for this.

Also bear in mind that anyone who doesn’t declare modifications are actually committing insurance fraud (a criminal offence) by obtaining insurance cover without declaring all the risk information the insurer requires to assess the risk and premium requirements. Anyone identified committing insurance fraud has their details added to the Insurance Fraud Register (IFR) which is an industry wide database accessible by other insurers, so if anyone’s details are on the IFR, it could affect their ability to get insurance cover in the future.

A bit of a long response to your comment about me loving declarations regarding insurance, but thought it was worth outlining why modifications should be declared for the benefit of those forum members who might not have been aware they need to do this.

And yes, my wheels in the picture I posted earlier in this thread have been declared to my insurer :D
wizzywig27
Getting There!

Post by wizzywig27 »

Thanks for the reply SRGTD. My comment was a bit tongue in cheek, but I do appreciate your point of view.

Lets look at this a little deeper though - you state there could be a number of outcomes which are:

•they decline the claim
•they pay for repairs to the car, but to factory spec, so all the modifications are lost
•they pay for repairs to the car and apply an increased excess
•they pay for repairs to the car to the modified spec, but charge an increased premium for previous periods of cover to reflect what they would have charged if they’d known about the modifications

You then go further to say:

'Also bear in mind that anyone who doesn’t declare modifications are actually committing insurance fraud (a criminal offence) by obtaining insurance cover without declaring all the risk information the insurer requires to assess the risk and premium requirements. Anyone identified committing insurance fraud has their details added to the Insurance Fraud Register (IFR) which is an industry wide database accessible by other insurers, so if anyone’s details are on the IFR, it could affect their ability to get insurance cover in the future.'

So what if you insurer agrees to (one out of) 2-4 of the above (1 I could understand they report it as insurance fraud) - would they still report you? Because in theory if you agree to pay the additional sum, then in theory you havent comitted any fraud.

Lets also look at it from this point of view - you bought a car second hand, you didnt realise it didn't come with standard factory fitted radio - what then? My mate bought a car that had its suspension lowered (im talking really lowered), he made a claim and his insurer didnt pay out. He claimed he wasnt aware (I quote believe him as he knows nothing about cars) - iirc he complained and they honoured it - not sure what he had to provide though.

Another view on it is, with VW insurance, they provide one year free, yet it stipulates no modifications - yet in theory a modification is anything that doesnt come as standard - so when I purchased my GTI and paid extra for a rear view camera, that wasnt as standard - its an upgrade, so surely straight away I am comitting insurance fraud?

I dont mean to come across like I am picking at you, these are genuine questions/comments.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

@wizzywig27, don’t worry, I didn’t think you were picking at me. It’s good to have a discussion on things like this.

I don’t think I can give black and white answers to your questions. However, in the event of a claim with undeclared modifications, I dare say an insurer may look at each case on its merits and the outcome of how they deal with the claim could vary from one insurer to another.

Whether or not an insurer would add details to the Insurance Fraud Register every single time they discover a case of insurance fraud, irrespective of circumstances, or whether it’s down to the discretion of the insurer, I have no idea. Maybe guidelines have been produced by the Insurance Fraud Bureau or Association of British Insurers to give guidance in certain situations?

The issue of factory fit options is an interesting one. My current insurer doesn’t consider factory fitted options to be modifications, so don’t require these to be declared. However, I’ve read on other forums where members have said that some insurers do require to know this. If someone is insured with a company that does need to know about factory fit options, it becomes really becomes difficult, as you’ve said, if they bought their car second hand and they don’t know which features of the car are standard and which were factory fitted options or retro-fitted. Always best to check the small print in the policy wording to see what an insurer’s stance is to factory fit options, or contact them and ask them.

As far as VW’s free insurance is concerned, this is the section of the wording in VW’s insurance policy about modifications;

‘You must also tell us about the following changes:

The vehicle is changed from the manufacturer’s original specification

This would include;
- changes to the bodywork
− changes to suspension or brakes
− cosmetic changes such as alloy wheels
− changes affecting performance such as changes to the engine management system or exhaust system
− changes to the audio/entertainment system

Please be aware that this is not a full list of all possible changes. All changes made from the manufacturer’s standard specification must be disclosed.’

Whether or not factory fit options are considered to be modifications and need to be declared would depend on how VW Insurance interpret the terms ‘manufacturer’s original specification’ and ‘manufacturer’s standard specification’. If a policyholder needed to declare factory fit options, I would have thought they’d be specifically stated in the list of items in bold print above. However, what is clear is that any changes a policyholder might make would need to be declared, and if the eligibility criteria for initial acceptance for the year’s free insurance states no modifications, then maybe VW Insurance would cancel the free insurance policy and the policyholder would need to arrange a new policy with another insurer.

I’d say that if anyone is in any doubt about modifications, it’s always best they speak to their insurer.
wizzywig27
Getting There!

Post by wizzywig27 »

Its a mindfield, see I would say window tinting (rear only) should not make any difference, however I could understand how it could (more desirable etc.) - would you say this falls under any of the categories you stated below? Arguably it could fall under cosmetic.

Regarding insurers standing would probably depends on if the modiciation was a direct result of the accident, for example if you fitted LED bulbs which the oncoming driver stated blinded him and caused the accident, where as a upgradin the audio system may have little impact in the case of an accident but does make it more desirbale to theives.

Reagrding the whole midifications and declaring it to VW for the free insurance, imo, if you buy a car which comes with a rear camera from the factory, even if it is an upgrade, this should be a standard. An argument could be made for the camera helping to reduce accidents, but I certainly cant see an insurer reducing your premium, can you?

Insurance is a mindfield, and I would certainly not like to be caught short, so to speak, which is why, for now I am holding off purchasing new alloys.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Firstly, to the OP (spockzie); apologies that this thread has gone off topic from window tinting specifically and has moved on to modifications in general and the insurance implications of mods, but hopefully the way discussions have developed are useful to forum members who have made, or are thinking of making modifications to their new Polo, especially if you’ve taken the VW free insurance.

@wizzywig; Agree, the whole issue of insurance is a bit of a minefield.

I’d say if aftermarket window tints didn’t fall under ‘cosmetic changes changes such as alloy wheels’ in the VW policy (I know tints are nothing like alloys, but I think alloys is just given as an example of a cosmetic change), then they’d likely be picked up under the catch-all statement ‘Please be aware that this is not a full list of all possible changes. All changes made from the manufacturer’s standard specification must be disclosed.’

Modifications like upgrading halogen headlamp bulbs with better halogen bulbs would probably be OK, but putting LED bulbs into reflector headlamp units designed and intended for use with halogen bulbs only may not be acceptable (LED bulbs in reflector headlamp units scatter the light source far and wide, with a high risk of dazzling oncoming motorists, so likely to be considered a safety risk to other drivers).

Agree that upgrading the audio system might increase the theft risk. Also, most insurers impose a monetary limit on aftermarket audio equipment (the limit is £500 in the VW policy for aftermarket audio equipment), so if this audio equipment is stolen but is worth more than £500, you’d be paid no more than the £500 limit. In my opinion, I think that the reversing camera option fitted to the car on the factory production line should be fine as it’s part of the original build.

The above is just my opinion though. If you’ve taken VW’s free insurance and the eligibility criteria for cover states the car mustn’t be modified in order to qualify for the free cover, wait until you’ve moved your insurance to another insurer at renewal date before modifying, and ensure all mods are declared.

When I bought my car in 2016 I knew I’d be changing the wheels early on (the only modification I’ve made, and I won’t be making any others), as the factory fit wheels were diamond cut, and I don’t like diamond cut wheels. I therefore didn’t take the free insurance as the change of wheels probably wouldn’t have been accepted by VW Insurance under the free insurance, even though the wheels are from the official VW accessory range for the Polo (they’re VW Motorsport alloys). My wheels are specifically noted on my policy record with my current insurer.

Also bear in mind that other aspects affected modifications;
  • 3 year warranty; if the reason for the failure or malfunction of a component of the car is a direct result of a modification, VW will probably reject any warranty claim for that component
  • Leasing; for anyone leasing their car, check the terms of the lease agreement first to understand the lessors stance on modifications (they may not be allowed)
  • PCP; if a car has been modified and is handed back at the end of the contract (or earlier contract termination), VW might ask for any modifications to be removed
wizzywig27
Getting There!

Post by wizzywig27 »

Wanna sell me your GTI wheels? :mrgreen:
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

wizzywig27 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:27 pm Wanna sell me your GTI wheels? :mrgreen:
Sorry, but they’re not for sale :lol:

I’ve still got the diamond cut alloys that my car originally came with and they’ll be going back on the car when the time comes to sell it. If things go to plan and I replace my current GTI with a GTI+ in a couple of years time, the anthracite coloured VW Motorsport alloys I’ve got on my car currently will be going on the new car.......assuming the PCD and centre bore measurements of the new Polo are the same as the 6c Polo (I think they are), and the offset of the Motorsports is also pretty much the same as the standard Parker alloys fitted to the GTI+.
markshaun123
New
Drives: toyota

Post by markshaun123 »

This is very useful and informative.

Design Tints
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Whilst my Polo was being built I asked for rear view camera and a few other things. When I went to insure it I told them about the items including the rear view camera and blind spot monitoring. They (LV) said if it was put in the car whilst being built it was not classified as an extra.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

A lot of insurance companies feel they need to be told as quite a few middle of the road cars from especially German car makers can vary quite a bit in terms of price due to many factory fit options, which can easily make the price of a mid spec car with options cost more than a high spec car in standard form, so replacement and potentially repair prices would be higher than expected.

One thing though, probably me being naïve, if I bought car insurance from a car maker and used it from new, I would have expected them to do the leg work and find out exactly what the build spec of that car was - and never to complain down the line after I have needed to get it repaired and some expense was being added to their costs because of that. I'd think that your average car insurance has built in a safe buffer to cover this, so cars will have slightly higher premiums than they should be and others slightly lower - so some policy holders are the only ones "losing" cash.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

With my previous car I had to tell the insurance company about the tow ball I had fitted by the garage.