What MPG are owners getting in the real world?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Re: What MPG are owners getting in the real world?

Post by Andy Beats »

I'm sorry, but blindspot detection has got to be a joke on a car with great all round vision like a Polo...
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

I have blind spot detection and the one time it comes in handy, is when your in a car park and you drive into a clear space with spaces either side of you, you may have parked in a position well away from the others, but when you come out, though there's many free spaces in the car park, you get some kind person with a big 4X4 or a transit type van parked right next to you. though I have the rear view camera, the blind spot detection does work well when reversing. Far more useful than an extra amplifier, to give you more base to your music. Though I do like the white seats in the "beats"

I know I'm going to get "you should reverse into the parking space" I'm not bothered !
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

silverhairs wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:39 pm I have blind spot detection and the one time it comes in handy, is when your in a car park and you drive into a clear space with spaces either side of you, you may have parked in a position well away from the others, but when you come out, though there's many free spaces in the car park, you get some kind person with a big 4X4 or a transit type van parked right next to you. though I have the rear view camera, the blind spot detection does work well when reversing. Far more useful than an extra amplifier, to give you more base to your music. Though I do like the white seats in the "beats"

I know I'm going to get "you should reverse into the parking space" I'm not bothered !
A good stereo is far more important to me than blind spot detection, so there you go.
Last edited by Andy Beats on Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:45 pm
silverhairs wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:39 pm I have blind spot detection and the one time it comes in handy, is when your in a car park and you drive into a clear space with spaces either side of you, you may have parked in a position well away from the others, but when you come out, though there's many free spaces in the car park, you get some kind person with a big 4X4 or a transit type van parked right next to you. though I have the rear view camera, the blind spot detection does work well when reversing. Far more useful than an extra amplifier, to give you more base to your music. Though I do like the white seats in the "beats"

A good stereo is far more important to me than blind spot detection, so there you go.
I would have put money on you replying, likes the last word !!! :roll:
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

silverhairs wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:47 pm I would have put money on you replying, likes the last word !!! :roll:
You couldn't help mentioning my car in your reply, when just sticking to the point would have been fine.
So, you know,get it right up you. :D

I'm not even convinced blind spot detection would 'save' you in your scenario anyway.
Not compared with just edging out as you would without it.
It's not like it gives you the ability to reverse out of a space with impunity.
In fact, I think my car might have this blind spot thing anyway.
It's got something that gets overly protective when I'm reversing down it occasionally slams the brakes on for me..... :roll:
Last edited by Andy Beats on Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

Is blind spot monitoring standard on an SE?
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

silverhairs wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:02 pm Is blind spot monitoring standard on an SE?
Pretty sure it's optional on most/all models.
I still think your example of reversing out of spaces isn't at all what it's meant for.
It's not really meant to detect people coming at you from right angles, as that's not a blind spot....
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Seeing as blind spot is offered as an option I ticked the box and am extremely happy with the system functionality. It also includes the reverse camera which has already paid for itself while i was backing out of a tight parking spot.

As for fuel usage my car is getting better at it now averaging 8.4l/100km (down from 8.7l). I drive around 120/150km per day and its mostly city, some freeway, driving. Very impressed.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:52 pm

I'm not even convinced blind spot detection would 'save' you in your scenario anyway.
Not compared with just edging out as you would without it.
It's not like it gives you the ability to reverse out of a space with impunity.
If you drive into a space between 2 cars rather than reverse into it, you're going to have the back 2/3 of the car sticking out when you reverse, before the wing mirrors would even clear the cars either side of you. By that time you would've seen what's about to drive into you anyway.

Seems madness not to reverse into a space and drive forward out of it. If a forward driving car and a reversing car collide, insurance company blame the reversing car by default without evidence to the contrary.
l3rady
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+ 2019

Post by l3rady »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:40 pm If you drive into a space between 2 cars rather than reverse into it, you're going to have the back 2/3 of the car sticking out when you reverse, before the wing mirrors would even clear the cars either side of you. By that time you would've seen what's about to drive into you anyway.

Seems madness not to reverse into a space and drive forward out of it. If a forward driving car and a reversing car collide, insurance company blame the reversing car by default without evidence to the contrary.
Reasons why people don't reverse into a parking spot, because they cant? Joking aside, a perfectly good reason to not reverse into a parking space is when doing a supermarket shop. It is the only time I don't reverse as I want the convenience of being able to load shopping directly into the boot without having to carry it between cars with the risk of dinging either my car or someone else's car with shopping, or with the risk of the trolly going walkies while I load up. Granted it makes life difficult reversing out but you just have to take it slow and keep checking mirrors and blind spots. The polo has good visibility so it's not so bad.

Regarding the insurance, it does suck that unless there is evidence they will automatically side with the car driving forward even if the car driving forward car see the reversing vehicle and does nothing to avoid the accident such as slowing down and giving way or tooting the horn to indicate to the reversing driver that they are there. Dash cams seem vital in this day and age to avoid blame although if you are moving backwards during the accident then no dash cam footage will help unless the forward driver can be shown to be driving recklessly.
fletch555
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by fletch555 »

I've never seen that symbol before. Does it display on the motorway when somebody is in your blind spot. I have had the car slam on twice while reversing though.

There was an option when I bought for "Blind Spot Monitor With Rear Traffic Alert" but I didn't select it so wondering if there are 2 different systems here?
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

Blind Spot Monitoring doesn't work in a parking scenario, as it only comes into operation at speeds over 9MPH (and is deactivated at speeds less than 6MPH) and is specifically used for detecting moving vehicles in adjacent lanes in a motorway scenario.

Rear Traffic Alert which comes in conjunction with Blind Spot Monitoring, is used in a parking scenario when reversing out of a space. As using the same radar sensors in the rear bumper it will detect approaching vehicles and warn you, and apply braking if you don't react. YouTube is your friend to explain the differences.

@OomStu_ZA Looks like getting Blind SPot Monitoring and Camera is a spec. pack for your car. For UK Spec Blind Spot Monitoring (inc. Rear Traffic Alert) and Rear View Camera are two separate optional extras, both of which I specced on my GTI. I find them both really useful additional features.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

roywolfey wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:48 pm @OomStu_ZA Looks like getting Blind SPot Monitoring and Camera is a spec. pack for your car. For UK Spec Blind Spot Monitoring (inc. Rear Traffic Alert) and Rear View Camera are two separate optional extras, both of which I specced on my GTI. I find them both really useful additional features.
Not really, we don't get packs here afaik... just a long list of options to select from in the online configurator. The only option I left out was Nav since I use Google on the Infotainment system for much less than what VW expect us to pay. Sadly we don't have the option of black roof and mirror caps from factory so have to make use of aftermarket wrappers, yo :P
AND_031
New
Drives: VW Polo 1.0 TSI 95hp 2019

Post by AND_031 »

In order not to open a new topic I would ask my question here as it is related to petrol.
Can I use premium 100-octane fuel in my 1.0TSI 95hp without any side effects?

Related to the subject for the first 2000 miles I got a 55mpg on my 1.0TSI 95hp Polo
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

fletch555 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:06 am
Dark_cze wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:10 pm I was on a little trip and I was courious how low a will get while using ACC. Main part was mostly straight road while doing 90km/h but part was on high way and part in city. On way back a took this photo :-D what an eco friendly car it can be :-D But I want more fun usualy so in long term I have around 8,5L/100km.
What's this symbol?
Voice control :D I acidentaly pressed it while taking photo

//You can actually see faiding "example" text on dash and talking person in second bubble :)