What MPG are owners getting in the real world?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Re: What MPG are owners getting in the real world?

Post by Leif »

I filled up today, and got 57 mpg since the last refuel. A bit better than last time, but it has been warmer, so the higher temperature might be the explanation. Not bad, but could be better. I hope it will improve with time.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

Gotta say, after my slightly sarcy ealier post, that's more like it....
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

56.5 mpg from the last fill, disappointing in my book. It looks as if the official figures are rather optimistic. That said, I suppose we can’t expect a Polo to match an Up, which is smaller and lighter.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Leif wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 10:19 pm 56.5 mpg from the last fill, disappointing in my book. It looks as if the official figures are rather optimistic. That said, I suppose we can’t expect a Polo to match an Up, which is smaller and lighter.
The current Polo brochure states that the fuel consumption data was obtained under standardised EU test conditions (EC Directive 93/116/EEC) and may not represent actual fuel consumption achieved in real world driving conditions, but are more relevant for comparison purposes with other vehicles’ fuel consumption figures. So, the current published mpg figures will enable prospective purchasers to determine whether a 1.0 Polo is likely to be more economical than a 1.0 Fiesta, although neither are likely to achieve the published official figures.

I’m assuming that once VW’s vehicles have been certified under the new World Harmonsied Light Vehicle Test Procedure (WLTP), official fuel consumption figures in brochures will be restated. Figures obtained under the new test procedure should be more representative of what owners can realistically expect to achieve. Car manufacturers have a deadline of September this year to have all their models certified under WLTP, so expect to see some revised (more achievable) fuel consumption figures in VW’s marketing and promotional literature later this year.

I’ve never given much thought to whether any car I’ve bought will achieve the official consumption figures published by the manufacturer - I’ve always assumed it won’t, as I drive my car in varying conditions on the UK’s roads in all weather conditions, and not in a laboratory. The official combined figure for my car (previous generation 1.8 192ps Polo GTI 6 speed Manual) is 47.1 mpg and in just over two years of ownership, I’ve never achieved this and don’t ever expect to. Does that bother me? No, it doesn’t. I expect it to realistically be in the range 38-42, and if it’s in that range, that’s fine by me.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

SRGTD wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 11:28 pm
Leif wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 10:19 pm 56.5 mpg from the last fill, disappointing in my book. It looks as if the official figures are rather optimistic. That said, I suppose we can’t expect a Polo to match an Up, which is smaller and lighter.
The current Polo brochure states that the fuel consumption data was obtained under standardised EU test conditions (EC Directive 93/116/EEC) and may not represent actual fuel consumption achieved in real world driving conditions, but are more relevant for comparison purposes with other vehicles’ fuel consumption figures. So, the current published mpg figures will enable prospective purchasers to determine whether a 1.0 Polo is likely to be more economical than a 1.0 Fiesta, although neither are likely to achieve the published official figures.

I’m assuming that once VW’s vehicles have been certified under the new World Harmonsied Light Vehicle Test Procedure (WLTP), official fuel consumption figures in brochures will be restated. Figures obtained under the new test procedure should be more representative of what owners can realistically expect to achieve. Car manufacturers have a deadline of September this year to have all their models certified under WLTP, so expect to see some revised (more achievable) fuel consumption figures in VW’s marketing and promotional literature later this year.

I’ve never given much thought to whether any car I’ve bought will achieve the official consumption figures published by the manufacturer - I’ve always assumed it won’t, as I drive my car in varying conditions on the UK’s roads in all weather conditions, and not in a laboratory. The official combined figure for my car (previous generation 1.8 192ps Polo GTI 6 speed Manual) is 47.1 mpg and in just over two years of ownership, I’ve never achieved this and don’t ever expect to. Does that bother me? No, it doesn’t. I expect it to realistically be in the range 38-42, and if it’s in that range, that’s fine by me.
I am well aware of how they measure mpg, and I am comparing my Polo to previous cars I have owned:
  • Nissan Micro (old style) can't remember figures,probably about 40 mpg, but I matched the official mpg.
  • Ford Ka (old model) official value 42 mpg, actual 47 mpg (summer), less in colder months.
  • VW Up official value 63 mpg, actual values 65 mpg (summer), 60 mpg (winter).
  • VW Polo 2018 official value 63 mpg, actual ~57 mpg (spring).
Hence I am unimpressed with the current mpg, although I don't see how the official figures are as far off, unless the engine loosens up, which some people say happens, some say it doesn't happen. We shall see.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

I got 57.5 mpg from today’s refill.

I’ve been thinking about this a bit. The official combined figures for the Polo and TakeUp are 64 mpg. And yet the two cars weigh 1145 Kg and 926 Kg. Thus the Polo weighs 219 Kg or 23.5% more. At this time of year I was getting roughly 60 mpg from the Up, so the fact that the Polo can do 57 mpg is quite remarkable. On the basis of the weight alone, you would expect a significantly lower figure given that kinetic energy is proportional to mass. So in retrospect I am quite impressed with the mpg. I get a car that has much more space and comfort, for almost the same mpg.

The side issue of course is why the VW official combined figures for the Up and the Polo are the same.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

Last night's refuel worked out at 64 mpg, which is really rather good. That's in warm summer weather, which might account for the rise on past values.
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

Hi may car has only done 77 miles from picking it up last afternoon. However it has got to just over 48mpg and I have been playing a bit too. Driving with flow of traffic. Poto herewith as proof, but I don't know how its going to show up on here. all mine turn sideways lol
Attachments
IMG_1147.JPG
adam1uk
New
Drives: Polo SE

Post by adam1uk »

I have done 700 miles in my Polo now, and the average over the whole time is about 55mpg. I don’t think I’ve had any journey where I’ve failed to get 50mpg. This afternoon I had my best individual journey —most of it on a single carriageway A road, in traffic at about 50mph, with a couple of towns and a few stops at traffic lights.
AA331A06-5C95-4E17-B977-85FE5E84A769.jpeg
Incidentally, I found with my previous Polo that the thing which helped me improve consumption rates, was having the current consumption on the dashboard display. Not the average, the current. It really makes you think about how lifting off a bit makes a huge difference, and how you can go down hills using virtually nothing.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

Do be careful, the mpg gauge on the VW Up dash was known to be rather optimistic. The best way to measure mpg is fuel in and distance travelled. After all the in car gauge must be estimating the amount of fuel passing through the injectors. That said, the gauge on my Polo is giving 60 mpg as the average value for many journeys, which does correlate well with the measured value. So I have a feeling it is roughly right. My last refuel was 60.5 mpg.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

The best way to really find out how many MPG your getting is to, fill your tank right up to the neck, so you can see the fuel, take note of the miles you have at the time, drive as you normally do until you have used either half a tank or down to when you near on the red. Fill up to the neck again and take the miles again. With your receipt look how many litres you have purchased, to turn them into gallons divide the litres by 4.546, this will give you it in gallons. (EG: 42.58 litres = 9.36 gallons as near as dam it) Work out the miles you have done between the two fill-ups. Lets say you have done 478 miles, divide that by the gallons = 9.36 and that will give you 51 MPG. Don't believe what the cars computer tell you, that's just a rough estimate.
Sorry if you think I'm trying to teach my grandmother how to suck eggs, but some people just don't have a clue? if you try doing this method by waiting for the pump to stop (click off), if you have the handle full on the fuel can foam up a bit and switch the pump off, this way is not as accurate as "necking it" where you can see the fuel.
brainbow
Bronze Member
Drives: 72 Plate Facelift GTI

Post by brainbow »

I need to look at my driving style!

I’ve admittedly only done 400 miles and mainly round town but in my 115 R Line my average since start is 38mpg. I haven’t really given it much stick but even below say 4500 revs on boost it just wants to go. :D
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

brainbow wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:06 pm I need to look at my driving style!

I’ve admittedly only done 400 miles and mainly round town but in my 115 R Line my average since start is 38mpg. I haven’t really given it much stick but even below say 4500 revs on boost it just wants to go. :D
Maybe. I do lots of commutes, 15 miles to the local ice rink, 35 miles to another ice rink, 25 miles to work, lots of long runs. City driving with lots of stop and start would consume much more fuel. However, if you don't do huge mileage, do you need to care?

What I will say though is that organisations such as the Institute of Advanced Motoring (whose members average age must be over 100 if the meetings I went to are typical) teach methods to improve safety, and economy. Of course you might know this stuff anyway. A year back I had a lift in a Jaguar XJ driven by a colleague. It was horrible. He would accelerate rapidly out of a junction, and then brake suddenly when approaching a junction, so I was continually jerking back and forth. Generally you don't make faster progress driving like that, better observation means no need to rush. So you can time your arrival at a junction so that the car in front has just moved out, allowing you to move out without stopping, if it's clear. I also see lots of people tail gating a slow car, when holding back would give them better forward visibility ready to overtake. I learnt better gear control, and better car control, from the IAM, and I am sure it saved me from several accidents.
MrLems
New
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by MrLems »

Early days yet I know (only had car a week) but with 2.0 GTI+ DSG I've been getting around 44mpg on the commute to work (45miles with 30 on motorway and 15 in early London traffic) but when not commuting, and with my heavy right foot, I'm well below 30mpg ... Overall I'm actually pleasantly surprised with the fuel economy I've been getting.
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

OK my longest journey to date is my regular 11 mile jaunt to work. I seem to stick to country roads on the way in I get about 49MPG at the moment and by the time I get to work. on the way home its dual carriageway with a very fast pull out at a round-a-bout that is so busy a fox called me busy who went to the university of busy would find it busy. its look for the space ride the clutch build up the revs as soon as the space comes you hit it and hard. now I have a DSG I m getting used to a new way of getting out onto this round-a-bout. as im getting to the number one spot I put it in sport mode, turn off auto start/stop, then go for the gap and to be honest that has cracked it..it works.

o yes the point of my post..lol...today I got my first 53mpg on the way home. im sure on longer drives im going to be in the last 50s early 60s. Happy days.