What MPG are owners getting in the real world?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Teras_UK
New
Drives: VW Scirocco, SEL Electric orange

What MPG are owners getting in the real world?

Post by Teras_UK »

Hey people. As a few people now have their cars I was wondering what sort of mpg you are getting on the road?

If you could post engine size and gearbox along with the MPG it would be quite insiteful to quite a few people as well as myself.
wizzywig27
Getting There!
Drives: GTI

Re: What MPG are owners getting in the real world?

Post by wizzywig27 »

For me, I have a 1.0 SE 5 speed.

On a motorway run I got 59mpg but that was very conservative.

On a day to day I get about 40mpg ish town driving.

I hope that helps
DaveNI1979
New
Drives: 2018 Beats TSI 95ps

Post by DaveNI1979 »

1.0 tsi 5 speed gearbox, done about 550miles so far at an average of 43mpg.
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

I have a 1.0 TSI 95 BHP. My last refuel was 413 miles and 34 litres giving 55 mpg. That’s rather poor especially when I compare it to other cars I’ve owned where the fuel consumption equalled the combined mpg. My VW Up gave 60 mpg in the winter, 65 mpg in the summer, same commute. I would have hoped for more like 60 mpg, so something somewhere is wrong as far as their method of estimating mpg is concerned. I could point to ‘dieselgate’ then again the figures for the Up were accurate.

In terms of driving style, I use the VW connect app,and their average figure for my driving style over 800 miles is 94% (brought down by one 75% journey) so I’m a pretty dull driver and don’t thrash the engine.

So overall I’m disappointed by the fuel consumption, decidedly below par.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Leif wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:27 pm I have a 1.0 TSI 95 BHP. My last refuel was 413 miles and 34 litres giving 55 mpg. That’s rather poor especially when I compare it to other cars I’ve owned where the fuel consumption equalled the combined mpg. My VW Up gave 60 mpg in the winter, 65 mpg in the summer, same commute. I would have hoped for more like 60 mpg, so something somewhere is wrong as far as their method of estimating mpg is concerned. I could point to ‘dieselgate’ then again the figures for the Up were accurate.

In terms of driving style, I use the VW connect app,and their average figure for my driving style over 800 miles is 94% (brought down by one 75% journey) so I’m a pretty dull driver and don’t thrash the engine.

So overall I’m disappointed by the fuel consumption, decidedly below par.
With a brand new car, I’ve always found that it takes a while for the engine to fully ‘loosen up’ before you achieve optimum fuel consumption. In my current car (2016 Polo GTI), the fuel consumption is now around 12-15% better compared to the mpg I was achieving just after taking delivery of the car - although good fuel consumption wasn’t the main consideration for me when I decided to buy a GTI!

So I’d say give it time, and you should start to see an improvement in mpg as you clock up more miles.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

We shall see. I can’t remember how my previous two new cars performed after purchase. It will increase anyway by 10% as the weather warms up, so if it does the official figure during the summer I’ll be happy. The mpg is good compared to cars from 10 years ago.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

Medium time watcher, first time poster: reckon y'all must have brakes binding or a boot full of bricks - my 2016 1.4TSi petrol Mk7 Golf Match Edition easily does an indicated 45MPg around town, 50+MPG on a longer run. But seriously, once the new engines are less 'tight' and 'free up' a bit the MPG should increase by a noticable amount.

I'm very happy indeed with my car, so what am I doing here ever so slightly winding folk up ? Well, I'm looking to maybe change to a new Polo. 2 years in and my Golf has covered a paltry 10,500ish miles as I cycle the 1.6miles to work, not that I'd leave any car there and out of sight all day (!), I'm easily bored, the Golf Mk7.5 is very similar to mine save for a bigger screen, and the Golf Mk8 is 18months plus down the line, so maybe I'm looking what is available and the VW Polo 1.0SEL looks very nice, so watch this space. Maybe....
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

You’re better off buying a 2-3 year old car used if you get bored so quickly, unless the money is burning a hole in your pocket.
stevereeves
Silver Member

Post by stevereeves »

In addition to being bored easily, though I AM in my 2nd Mk7, I can also quickly 'go off' things easily. Life is too short not to buy stuff you like if you can afford it and I do like the new Polo (can't understand why testers say the Ibiza or Fiesta are better) though appreciate many of the new interior 'bells and whistles' features will no doubt appear in VW's 'flagship' Golf Mk8.

As a matter of interest, and I often find 'the devil is in the detail': according to VW Golf Mk7 measures 4255mm x 1799mm, the new Polo is 4053mm x 1751. So the new Polo is only 202mm x 48mm smaller.

I will obviously will need to try a Polo before commiting myself as I originally wanted 1.0 litre Golf but found it dangerously underpowered as to be scary, like when joining traffic. So I chose the 1.4 which though I'm no burn-up merchant (anymore) it has more than enough power and as mentioned gives great economy.

Oh, and a quick call to the local VW dealer mentiond a 16 week wait, same as my Golf....
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

stevereeves wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:38 am In addition to being bored easily, though I AM in my 2nd Mk7, I can also quickly 'go off' things easily. Life is too short not to buy stuff you like if you can afford it and I do like the new Polo (can't understand why testers say the Ibiza or Fiesta are better) though appreciate many of the new interior 'bells and whistles' features will no doubt appear in VW's 'flagship' Golf Mk8.

As a matter of interest, and I often find 'the devil is in the detail': according to VW Golf Mk7 measures 4255mm x 1799mm, the new Polo is 4053mm x 1751. So the new Polo is only 202mm x 48mm smaller.

I will obviously will need to try a Polo before commiting myself as I originally wanted 1.0 litre Golf but found it dangerously underpowered as to be scary, like when joining traffic. So I chose the 1.4 which though I'm no burn-up merchant (anymore) it has more than enough power and as mentioned gives great economy.

Oh, and a quick call to the local VW dealer mentiond a 16 week wait, same as my Golf....
Agree If you can afford it get it. We are a long time dead, so enjoy while you can. If I were you wait for the 1.5 150ps evo engine later this year. I'm happy with the 115ps I ordered, but I do think If I could have held off the 150 would give more flexibility.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

stevereeves: Yup, if you have the readies to hand, then spend them. It'd be interesting to hear your thoughts on the Polo versus the Golf. I never considered the Golf, the Polo does all I need and is a bit easier to park, and has a bit better mpg.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Leif wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:50 am stevereeves: Yup, if you have the readies to hand, then spend them. It'd be interesting to hear your thoughts on the Polo versus the Golf. I never considered the Golf, the Polo does all I need and is a bit easier to park, and has a bit better mpg.
I’ve owned Golfs in the past. I think that with the Golf being VW’s core model in their vehicle range, and because of where it sits in the range relative to the Polo (and it’s higher price point), VW will have a strategy to differentiate the Golf from the Polo. If it made the new Polo too similar to the Golf in terms of spec on like for like models, then it could have a negative impact on Golf sales.

Some of the areas of differentiation;
  • independent rear suspension on the Golf (models with 125ps output engines and higher). Rear beam axle on the Polo.
  • more ‘soft touch’ materials in the interior of the Golf making it feel a bit more upmarket - e.g. door cards have padded cloth or leather insert panel. Polo door cards are hard plastic.
  • no visible painted metal on the interior in the Golf (plastic trim surround around the tailgate window in the Golf, in the Polo, this is exposed painted metal, painted metal ‘triangle’ shaped section on the Polo in the lower corner of the windows in the rear doors). No painted metal on the interior of the doors in the Golf.
  • felt lined door pockets and glove box in the Golf. Hard plastic in the Polo.
  • more standard equipment model for model (e.g. Golf GTI gets standard sat nav, automatic dual zone climate control, ACC, electric folding door mirrors, auto-dimming rear view mirror. These are extra cost options on the Polo GTI/GTI+).
Both will drive and ride in a similar manner. The Golf May be slightly more refined. Agree, the Polo should be better on fuel economy and should be easier to park, although the Golf doesn’t feel like an overly large car to drive, and isn’t a difficult car to park. In my opinion the Golf and Polo are aimed at different market segments;
  • Polo; higher proportion single owners, with a younger age profile than the Golf. Will often be a second car in a family. Maybe considered by Golf owners looking to downsize
  • Golf; because it’s larger, more suitable for use as family transport, and also has the option of an estate model
Which would I choose? Apart from the obvious price differential favouring the Polo, and with the Polo being a new model (current Golf due for replacement by the mk8 Golf mid year next year), I’d choose the Polo as it would do everything I want of a car, and being smaller than the Golf, it would fit in my garage. If I was in a hurry though to replace my current car, then the Golf would be a serious contender - currently a wait of around 8 weeks from time of order to delivery for a built to order GTI Golf, compared to nearly a year for the Polo GTI / GTI+!
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

Cheers SRGTD. Yes if I had a family then I would go for the Golf for the extra rear seat space for one. I suspect rear disk brakes is another difference, all but the pricier Polos (S, SE, for sure ) have rear drum brakes.
stevereeves
Silver Member

Post by stevereeves »

SRGTD wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:45 pm
Leif wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:50 am stevereeves: Yup, if you have the readies to hand, then spend them. It'd be interesting to hear your thoughts on the Polo versus the Golf. I never considered the Golf, the Polo does all I need and is a bit easier to park, and has a bit better mpg.
I’ve owned Golfs in the past. I think that with the Golf being VW’s core model in their vehicle range, and because of where it sits in the range relative to the Polo (and it’s higher price point), VW will have a strategy to differentiate the Golf from the Polo. If it made the new Polo too similar to the Golf in terms of spec on like for like models, then it could have a negative impact on Golf sales.

Some of the areas of differentiation;
  • independent rear suspension on the Golf (models with 125ps output engines and higher). Rear beam axle on the Polo.
  • more ‘soft touch’ materials in the interior of the Golf making it feel a bit more upmarket - e.g. door cards have padded cloth or leather insert panel. Polo door cards are hard plastic.
  • no visible painted metal on the interior in the Golf (plastic trim surround around the tailgate window in the Golf, in the Polo, this is exposed painted metal, painted metal ‘triangle’ shaped section on the Polo in the lower corner of the windows in the rear doors). No painted metal on the interior of the doors in the Golf.
  • felt lined door pockets and glove box in the Golf. Hard plastic in the Polo.
  • more standard equipment model for model (e.g. Golf GTI gets standard sat nav, automatic dual zone climate control, ACC, electric folding door mirrors, auto-dimming rear view mirror. These are extra cost options on the Polo GTI/GTI+).
Both will drive and ride in a similar manner. The Golf May be slightly more refined. Agree, the Polo should be better on fuel economy and should be easier to park, although the Golf doesn’t feel like an overly large car to drive, and isn’t a difficult car to park. In my opinion the Golf and Polo are aimed at different market segments;
  • Polo; higher proportion single owners, with a younger age profile than the Golf. Will often be a second car in a family. Maybe considered by Golf owners looking to downsize
  • Golf; because it’s larger, more suitable for use as family transport, and also has the option of an estate model
Which would I choose? Apart from the obvious price differential favouring the Polo, and with the Polo being a new model (current Golf due for replacement by the mk8 Golf mid year next year), I’d choose the Polo as it would do everything I want of a car, and being smaller than the Golf, it would fit in my garage. If I was in a hurry though to replace my current car, then the Golf would be a serious contender - currently a wait of around 8 weeks from time of order to delivery for a built to order GTI Golf, compared to nearly a year for the Polo GTI / GTI+!
This ^^. Plus the Golf has auto handbrake which works well and you soon get used to it, surprised new Polo isn't so equiped, but wouldn't be deal-breaker for me. My current Golf was quoted as a 16 week wait but turned out to be 12, but with patience not necessarily my forte some of quoted 40 or so week waits are right out for me. I intend to try 95PS SE & 115PS SEL, the SEL appeals, not overly fussed about the 2Zone Climate Control, but it being a 6-speed. I once had a Mk2 Seat Leon 1.6 Emocion petrol which I liked a lot but it was a 5-speed, meaning the poor engine literally screamed at 3800RPM at 70MPH. While by no means rich my financial situation surprisingly impoved a bit recently and I am an (almost) 'anything for a quite life person', I prefer the security of a new car with warranty and, in my experince, VW are very good at dealing with car issues. I intend to at least try a Polo soon and being very much a 'speak as I find' person I will report my finding but apart from possible gearing and maybe engine noise from the 3pot motor I don't forsee too much of a downside to 'downsizing' cars. There really isn't much in it compared to a Golf including price should one decide to seriously spec-up on options....
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

I haven’t noticed any particular 3 pot engine noise, it’s rather refined. My Up does have a diesel thrum at times, albeit not an issue.