What MPG are owners getting in the real world?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Re: What MPG are owners getting in the real world?

Post by Leif »

I have a suspicion that the more premium a brand, the worse the customer service. Skoda are known for good service, Audi not. At my last job the salesmen were obnoxious with one exception. Rude and arrogant. I was surprised, surely sales people need social skills? Nope. Not if customers are desperate to get the product they don’t.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Come on "Leif" one post you are talking about looking at the road ahead so that you know what's going on and saving you to brake, all taught in the "advanced driving test" then the next post your talking about slip streaming? Don't you just love it when some idiot is right up your boot and trying to get in. if the police see anybody doing this they have a tendency to pull them over, for me, I always make sure I have a full bottle of window washer, and when they are too close, I start washing my windows, once they start having to use their wipers they seem to get the message.
So slip streaming is not safe as you quoted in your post.
Also with the IAM they teach you to check your car all round, including your tyres, if under inflated, or over inflated, will either give your tyres a shorter life as well as handling.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Leif wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:10 pm I have a suspicion that the more premium a brand, the worse the customer service. Skoda are known for good service, Audi not. At my last job the salesmen were obnoxious with one exception. Rude and arrogant. I was surprised, surely sales people need social skills? Nope. Not if customers are desperate to get the product they don’t.
I have only crossed the door way of a Skoda dealership once, and that was to order in a "rear hatch pull down strap" as fitted to all Skodas - in the way that all Skodas also have a small clip on the windscreen to clip your parking ticket into which saves it getting blown away out of sight when you close the door - so yes I found Skoda people quite helpful, but reading the postings on the Skoda forum, these people have a different story to tell, it seems like charging slightly less means having less in the way of overheads to pay proper people, so they pay peanuts and so only get donkeys to work for them,that is a very general way of looking at it as I'm sure that there are many good, honest and compenant people working in Skoda dealerships - just that they are running without much in the way of outside support, just their local desk jockey - and we all know how useful any desk jockey is!
Audi, pretty and personable young ladies to meet and greet, service front desk people seem okay, parts guys live tucked away out of sight and get dragged out if you "must" desire to buy parts, which most Audi owners don't as they "get a chap to do that sort of thing". I have only ever dealt with one Audi sales person and I had spotted the car and wanted to buy it, so any sales blurb went over my head, quite a few Audi customers seem to like to live in badly soiled saggy grey tracky bottoms, with the occasional well dressed lady turning up, of course the "casually dressed" ones I've spotted might just be high flying desk jockeys dressing down to suit the occasion?
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

silverhairs wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:45 am Come on "Leif" one post you are talking about looking at the road ahead so that you know what's going on and saving you to brake, all taught in the "advanced driving test" then the next post your talking about slip streaming? Don't you just love it when some idiot is right up your boot and trying to get in. if the police see anybody doing this they have a tendency to pull them over, for me, I always make sure I have a full bottle of window washer, and when they are too close, I start washing my windows, once they start having to use their wipers they seem to get the message.
So slip streaming is not safe as you quoted in your post.
Also with the IAM they teach you to check your car all round, including your tyres, if under inflated, or over inflated, will either give your tyres a shorter life as well as handling.
Yes I did say slip streaming is not safe. However, lorries do it on motorways, and it can sometimes be hard to get on when there is a line of lorries, nose to tail. I hate tail gating, and it sometimes forces me to slow down to ensure I can brake safely if someone pulls out ahead etc.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

So-called slipstreaming is great until your car gets hit by stones, stone chip in windscreen anybody ? Whenever someone pulls in, or even overtakes, I take my foot off the gas to create a bit of distance to avoid being hit by road shrapnel....
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

"So called slipstreaming is great until your car gets hit by stones". To be honest, I don't know which way to take that quote? Are you saying slipstreaming is OK, or it's OK until you get a stone on your screen, then it's not such a good idea?
Have you any idea how close a car has to be before slipstreaming works?
stevereeves
Silver Member

Post by stevereeves »

I don't get involved in on-line differences of opinion but to gain any benefit from slipstreaming depending on the speed I imagine that you probably need to be quite close the vehicle in front i.e. too close. Just my slight weird sense of humour way of advising to keep a good distance and more from the vehicle in front to avoid damage to your car, which we all wish to do. I.e if you and the car in front are travelling at 50mph, I forget the actual formula, basically any stones thrown hit your car at about 100mph. Not good. Though I've seen and exprienced serious tailgating of less than few feet....
paulrodgers7
Getting There!
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi + White/black roof

Post by paulrodgers7 »

Stone chips are hardly the issue here, think about stopping distance and fatalities on the road.
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

I wonder how close the adaptive cruise control that I'm having fitted, will allow you to be to the car in front?
On some motorways they have chevrons to give you a guidance of the distance your recommended to be away from the car in front. the best distance is 2 seconds at all speeds, 3 seconds would be safer that gives you time to allow for braking or avoidance. Have you noticed people who drive too close to the car in front are always on their brakes, you can follow further back at a safe distance and you've never had to use your brakes once.
As for slipstreaming. Did you see the programme on TV with Guy Martin trying for some record on a push bike, his front wheel was about 6"/9" away from the board, once he lost that distance he was struggling.
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

Going back to the original post by "Teras_UK, I suggest they wait till they get their own Polo what ever engine they have on order and do their own MPG tests, there are so many things to consider. So "Teras_UK" get your car and find out yourself, it's a complex question in the first place

The way this post is going and more off topic, it could end up like another post with 42 pages :?
stevereeves
Silver Member

Post by stevereeves »

paulrodgers7 wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:30 am Stone chips are hardly the issue here, think about stopping distance and fatalities on the road.
I was: "to gain any benefit from slipstreaming depending on the speed I imagine that you probably need to be quite close the vehicle in front i.e. too close". Oops: "I don't get involved in on-line differences of opinion", let's just agree that you're right and I'm right....
Swanee
New
Drives: 2018 GTi+

Post by Swanee »

Reading this you'd hardly know it was about mpg! Anyway, on a 320 mile round trip to Blackpool last weekend my 2018 Polo GTi+ returned 46mpg. That's about 8mpg better than my previous 1.8L Polo GTi.
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Cruising at 70mph this morning, was getting 47mpg.
Around town, still lucky to break 40mpg without being very careful.
Really, the 1.0tsi is a bit of a disaster in this car and the MPG is no better than the Gti. :shock:
Of course, the Gti costs a lot more to buy.
JMiddo94
New
Drives: 2019 GTI

Post by JMiddo94 »

I'm averaging about 32 MPG in my GTI, I do mainly short journies though under 10 miles, I have seen an average of 40 MPG on longer trips, I didn't really buy this car to study the fuel consumption though 😁
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

ok I just refilled and I did 430 on the tank I put in 36ltrs so I think that gives me just over 54MPG. I do think that's due to the very mild weather we have been having. On some drives I have had mid 60s for the drive, on nice mild days over the weekend. when the temperature drops to around the -1to 5 degrees im getting around the late 40s.

im very happy with that.