What MPG are owners getting in the real world?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
max m4x ww
New
Drives: None yet

Re: What MPG are owners getting in the real world?

Post by max m4x ww »

Hi all,

New here, I have been looking at replacments for my 2019 GTD Estate company car. I want to go Petrol and DSG this time and the cost of a GTi+ vs similarly high spec 1.0 R-Line 115 seems similar. I just need to ensure the MPG will be good enough as my company pays the fuel and are used to diesel economy. The GTD does about 50mpg if averaged over the 60k miles I have covered in it - petrol is cheaper so 45mpg would probably be OK.

My journeys are usually 50 miles, mostly dual carriageway with some traffic either end. Is 45mpg realistic from a GTi DSG?

Thanks in advance.
chris.tayler
New

Post by chris.tayler »

max m4x ww wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:27 pm Hi all,

New here, I have been looking at replacments for my 2019 GTD Estate company car. I want to go Petrol and DSG this time and the cost of a GTi+ vs similarly high spec 1.0 R-Line 115 seems similar. I just need to ensure the MPG will be good enough as my company pays the fuel and are used to diesel economy. The GTD does about 50mpg if averaged over the 60k miles I have covered in it - petrol is cheaper so 45mpg would probably be OK.

My journeys are usually 50 miles, mostly dual carriageway with some traffic either end. Is 45mpg realistic from a GTi DSG?

Thanks in advance.
If you drive like a saint and resist the urge to enjoy the car...just. i think 37-40MPG more realistic.
max m4x ww
New

Post by max m4x ww »

chris.tayler wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 3:47 pm
max m4x ww wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:27 pm Hi all,

Thanks in advance.
If you drive like a saint and resist the urge to enjoy the car...just. i think 37-40MPG more realistic.
Thanks for the reply, I do not drive like a saint but can't really enjoy the car as I have a tracker in the car which monitors 'driver behaviour.

I got the GTD as at the time the spec was better than an Octavia vRS. I fancy something smaller now and looking at cash prices (which may differ in lease costs) the GTI+ with a few choice options looks way better value than a 115 R-Line and Audi A1 150. I may also look at the Skoda Scala (but it is ugly) and I'm hoping for a new Leon to be released soon but who knows!
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

What's the point in a Gti if your tracker doesn't allow sporty driving....?
That's just a waste.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:29 am What's the point in a Gti if your tracker doesn't allow sporty driving....?
That's just a waste.
Might be an insurance company ‘black box’ or phone app tracker to keep the cost of insurance to a more manageable level?

Agree, having such a device fitted doesn’t really enable the car to be enjoyed as intended. We soon won’t have a choice though, when cars come from the factory with speed limiters fitted from 2022.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

SRGTD wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:25 am We soon won’t have a choice though, when cars come from the factory with speed limiters fitted from 2022.
I'll believe that when i see it.
max m4x ww
New

Post by max m4x ww »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:29 am What's the point in a Gti if your tracker doesn't allow sporty driving....?
That's just a waste.
I agree, but I will pick whatever car has the best spec for the banding.

Looking at RRP, an R-Line 1.0 TSi seems to be priced very similarly to a similar spec GTi+.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

max m4x ww wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:27 pm Looking at RRP, an R-Line 1.0 TSi seems to be priced very similarly to a similar spec GTi+.
Been a while since I had a company car, our entire company has opted out over the years, but isn't fuel BIK still calculated on Co2?
So you'd pay less tax on the 1.0tsi.
I just think that if your speed is restricted, you might as well just pay the least.
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

For what it's worth, I'm averaging mid to high 40s in my Ibiza with the 1.0 TSI 115PS manual. Went down to Wiltshire for Easter and when I pulled into Gloucester services for a quick break it was showing over 60mpg for the drive down from Manchester!
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

vc-10 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 3:45 pm For what it's worth, I'm averaging mid to high 40s in my Ibiza with the 1.0 TSI 115PS manual. Went down to Wiltshire for Easter and when I pulled into Gloucester services for a quick break it was showing over 60mpg for the drive down from Manchester!
I got the 'blue drive' display on my 95 tantalisingly close to 60mpg the other day, pottering into town at 40-45 MPH in 5th gear and only a whiff of throttle.
Sooooo close...
Then again, last night I booted it up the dual carriageway and was below 35mpg.....
Personally, I find it hard to fathom that a 1000cc engine can gulp petrol at that rate under any circumstances, but there you go. :shock:
And when I say 'boot it up', I wasn't even close to the redline.
The three cylinder really doesn't like being revved at all, it gets very nasty at very high revs.
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

I think that's a big advantage of the 6-speed box in the 115. On the motorway the slightly longer gearing in top gear is great for fuel economy.

I remember someone somewhere saying about the Ford EcoBoost engines that they are either Eco or Boost. Not both at the same time. That definitely goes for all these modern downsized turbos. Giving it some beans certainly destroys fuel economy, where the car shines is on the cruise. I was working down in Cheshire recently and the M56 motorway was basically blocked, so I took the A34 down towards Wilmslow. That road has lots of roundabouts on dual carriageways. Fuel economy for the trip was barely over 40, due to the constant speeding up and slowing down for the roundabouts. Driving back along the M56? Low 50s.

My previous car, a Skoda Fabia with the 90PS 1.2 TSI, was much the same on fuel overall.
max m4x ww
New

Post by max m4x ww »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:54 am
max m4x ww wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:27 pm Looking at RRP, an R-Line 1.0 TSi seems to be priced very similarly to a similar spec GTi+.
Been a while since I had a company car, our entire company has opted out over the years, but isn't fuel BIK still calculated on Co2?
So you'd pay less tax on the 1.0tsi.
I just think that if your speed is restricted, you might as well just pay the least.
Yep, both models still a reasonable amount less than the GTD though and either way it is a cheap car for me to have!
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

vc-10 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:21 pm I think that's a big advantage of the 6-speed box in the 115. On the motorway the slightly longer gearing in top gear is great for fuel economy.
TBH, I doubt 6th gear on the 115 is much different from 5th on the 95.
It's very high.
AliP95
New
Drives: SEL 115 Reef Blue

Post by AliP95 »

I reliably get 54-56mpg on my commute, now the weather is warmer - was more like 52 in winter. The route is 60% A-roads at 60mph, with the occasional roundabout , and the rest is country roads at average 35mph.

This is in my 18 plate 115hp TSI, about 10,000 miles driven :)
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:51 am
vc-10 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:21 pm I think that's a big advantage of the 6-speed box in the 115. On the motorway the slightly longer gearing in top gear is great for fuel economy.
TBH, I doubt 6th gear on the 115 is much different from 5th on the 95.
It's very high.
If the 6th on the 115 is same(ish) ratio as 5th on the 95, 1 - 5 on the 115 will be lower, giving more flexibility at urban speeds, leading to better fuel economy. More torque on the 115 helps too.