What MPG are owners getting in the real world?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
CJ-77
New
Drives: Polo 1.0TSI SE

Re: What MPG are owners getting in the real world?

Post by CJ-77 »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:18 am
CJ-77 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:53 pm The Polo is quite light for its size so shouldn't have issues
It's actually very heavy for a its sector.
It's over 200kgs heavier than the Micra.
Like I say in my post that is because the info is confusing. I think Nissan claim (a empty kerb weight) of 977kg for a base model Micra Visia 1.0 NA but this can't be compared to the 1.0TSI Polo SE because 1, Polo weight is by EU standard so includes 75kg for driver and 2, spec and engine. Much fairer to compare it with the Micra Acenta 0.9 turbo which is 1072kg empty per Euroncap which is virtually the same as Euroncap list the Polo (Comfortline 1.0TSI) at 1071kg.

A good place to check (empty) car weights across manufacturers is Euroncap.
Andy Beats wrote:It'll obviously be different for every gear.
But they are very high right through the range.
First is more like second on any other car (hill starts are a nightmare of revs and slipping clutch).
I often find myself still in second at 30mph, or third at 40mph.
Crusing at M-way speeds is also very low revs for a small petrol.
It's just all wrong for what should be a car aimed more at city driving rather than long-distance cruising.
Sorry I wasn't clear! I did mean in top/5th. I see on the AutoExpress road test it runs at 2500rpm at 70 so I think that means ~28mph per 1000/revs in 5th? All VW need do is make the 6 speed box standard across turbo models.

I'll definitely take the Polo up the local(ish) DC to see what its like but I don't think coming from my 1.6 C-MAX will be an issue. Four up it is proper slow.....The Polo will feel fast!
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:18 am
CJ-77 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:53 pm The Polo is quite light for its size so shouldn't have issues
It's actually very heavy for a its sector.
It's over 200kgs heavier than the Micra.
My point entirely - it struggles because of lowish output engines, pulling a relatively heavy car and high gear ratios rob it of easily useable torque. You have to revs these cars quite hard to get the claimed performance out of them, and in doing so, they're not as frugal as you'd expect them to be. The 115ps variant with DSG 7 speed box has lower ratios (apart from 7th) and the most power from the 1.0 unit, to overcome the issues faced with the lower output variants.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

CJ-77 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:38 pm Sorry I wasn't clear! I did mean in top/5th. I see on the AutoExpress road test it runs at 2500rpm at 70 so I think that means ~28mph per 1000/revs in 5th?
Sounds about right.
It gives relaxed cruising, but who buys a Polo to cruise long distances? :shock:
And it only takes a minor motorway hill for the car to start losing speed and needing a downchange.
CJ-77
New

Post by CJ-77 »

Andy Beats wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:53 am
CJ-77 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:38 pm Sorry I wasn't clear! I did mean in top/5th. I see on the AutoExpress road test it runs at 2500rpm at 70 so I think that means ~28mph per 1000/revs in 5th?
Sounds about right.
It gives relaxed cruising, but who buys a Polo to cruise long distances? :shock:
And it only takes a minor motorway hill for the car to start losing speed and needing a downchange.
I don't know....The Polo (or many cars in the "supermini" class now) is not really a small, city only, car these days. One of the firsts trip I'll do in mine, if I get it by Easter, will be a 400 mile round trip down to the south coast.

Admittedly I'm sure the Polo is no GTD Golf (also too highly geared in 5th/6th IMO!) I've used at work but I'm sure it will perform more than fine for my needs (and be noticeably nippier than my C-MAX).
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

^ My Polo GTI+ runs at 2400rpm in 6th at 80mph, compared with my Golf R at 3100rpm in 6th at 80, and my previous Golf GTD at 2200rpm in 6th at 80. The Polo GTI is geared more like the GTD than the R. The Golf GTI is running around 2700rpm in 6th and 80mph.
CJ-77
New

Post by CJ-77 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:15 pm ^ My Polo GTI+ runs at 2400rpm in 6th at 80mph, compared with my Golf R at 3100rpm in 6th at 80, and my previous Golf GTD at 2200rpm in 6th at 80. The Polo GTI is geared more like the GTD than the R. The Golf GTI is running around 2700rpm in 6th and 80mph.
It is odd that the Polo GTI has Golf GTD-like gearing. VW clearly know about the high-gearing issue as the R shows with much lower gearing for the extra punch. I guess giving the Polo GTI Golf R level gear ratios would result in it being quicker than the Golf GTI...
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

CJ-77 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:22 pm Admittedly I'm sure the Polo is no GTD Golf (also too highly geared in 5th/6th IMO!) I've used at work but I'm sure it will perform more than fine for my needs (and be noticeably nippier than my C-MAX).
Depending on what engine your C-MAX has, I wouldn't bank on the Polo feeling nippier....
The 1.0tsi is a slow car, there's really no bones about it.
It's far slower than it should be because of the gearing.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

CJ-77 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:16 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:15 pm ^ My Polo GTI+ runs at 2400rpm in 6th at 80mph, compared with my Golf R at 3100rpm in 6th at 80, and my previous Golf GTD at 2200rpm in 6th at 80. The Polo GTI is geared more like the GTD than the R. The Golf GTI is running around 2700rpm in 6th and 80mph.
It is odd that the Polo GTI has Golf GTD-like gearing. VW clearly know about the high-gearing issue as the R shows with much lower gearing for the extra punch. I guess giving the Polo GTI Golf R level gear ratios would result in it being quicker than the Golf GTI...
I always felt the R was geared too low, considering it has tons of power and torque. On a long motorway run, it won't do more than 35mpg. The Polo GTI will do 47mpg on a long run, maintaining 80mph on the motorway.

In purely urban traffic, they do similar mpg because the R is happy to be in 5th at 30mph, more like 36mph for the Polo to be in 5th with low/no load.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:10 am The Polo GTI will do 47mpg on a long run, maintaining 80mph on the motorway.
That's impressive.
I can get 47mpg on the motorway in the 1.0tsi, but only if I stay nearer 70mph.
Approach 80mph and the MPG plummets.
Really, there doesn't seem to be a scenario where the 1.0tsi gives better MPG than the Gti.
Ho hum.... :cry:
CJ-77
New

Post by CJ-77 »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:46 am
CJ-77 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:22 pm Admittedly I'm sure the Polo is no GTD Golf (also too highly geared in 5th/6th IMO!) I've used at work but I'm sure it will perform more than fine for my needs (and be noticeably nippier than my C-MAX).
Depending on what engine your C-MAX has, I wouldn't bank on the Polo feeling nippier....
Surely it can't be that bad, Andy? My C-MAX has just 103BHP and 111lbft of torque @ 4,000RPM. It weighs circa 1,400kg empty. My previous Mii "Sport" felt quicker than the C-MAX.

Just wondering what your previous cars were to rate the Polo as being so notably slow?
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

CJ-77 wrote:
Andy Beats wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:46 am
Surely it can't be that bad, Andy? My C-MAX has just 103BHP and 111lbft of torque @ 4,000RPM. It weighs circa 1,400kg empty. My previous Mii "Sport" felt quicker than the C-MAX.

Just wondering what your previous cars were to rate the Polo as being so notably slow?
A previous 1.4TDi polo felt far quicker.. and was if I'm honest. It was 70hp standard, and mapped was 90, so on paper, slower.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

blackertracker
Bronze Member
Drives: ..

Post by blackertracker »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:27 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:10 am The Polo GTI will do 47mpg on a long run, maintaining 80mph on the motorway.
That's impressive.
I can get 47mpg on the motorway in the 1.0tsi, but only if I stay nearer 70mph.
Approach 80mph and the MPG plummets.
Really, there doesn't seem to be a scenario where the 1.0tsi gives better MPG than the Gti.
Ho hum.... :cry:
There’s something not right with your 1.0TSI 95. I had one on loan for a while and easily got 50+mpg combined, and I don’t live in a flat area. Perhaps your engine wasn’t run-in hard enough.

I have an old Golf Mk4 2.0 petrol. Noticed its fuel consumption over the past few months had dropped down to 28mpg, from a normal combined 34mpg. Fault codes logged complained of it running too lean, although it passed MOT emissions. I finally gave it some TLC, cleaning the MAF sensor for the first time in 160k miles, and reseating some vacuum pipes etc. Was astonished to see the MPG improve first to 36 then 46 on a long gentle run (calculated by brimming the tank). Amazing what a dirty MAF can do to the fuelling.
Last edited by blackertracker on Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

CJ-77 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:23 pm

Oh, it is..... :D
Previous two cars have been a Nissan Leaf and a Nissan Juke.
The thing is 95bhp/129lbft shouldn't be this slow, but the gearing kills it.
I bet your Mii sport would feel significantly nippier than the Polo.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

blackertracker wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:30 pm
There’s something not right with your 1.0TSI 95.
No, what I'm getting is in line with others on here.
It's actually rarer to see people reporting the figures you are.
I've never seen 50mpg on the display, in any circumstances.
blackertracker
Bronze Member
Drives: ..

Post by blackertracker »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:35 pm
blackertracker wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:30 pm
There’s something not right with your 1.0TSI 95.
No, what I'm getting is in line with others on here.
It's actually rarer to see people reporting the figures you are.
I've never seen 50mpg on the display, in any circumstances.
I’ve only seen you and 1 other on here complain of low MPG with the 1.0TSI 95.
The Real MPG average from owners reported on Honest John is 53.9...
Obviously driving style has the biggest impact. But I didn’t drive the one I had particularly gently, in fact I revved it out on a motorway slip road to see what it’d do. And still got 50+mpg. With passengers and luggage.