What MPG are owners getting in the real world?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Swanee
New
Drives: 2018 GTi+

Re: What MPG are owners getting in the real world?

Post by Swanee »

Brand new GTi+, 80miles done so far...39.6mpg in crazy heavy traffic, bit of M6, some town and a bit of back road hooning.. l expect it to do better on a sensible drive. That's pretty good as my 2016 GTi only did that max!
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

I have a 2018 95 SE Polo and today I refilled it, and the mileage from the last fill worked out at 65 mpg, no doubt helped a lot by the hot weather. It confirms that I am a very dull driver.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Come on "Leif" don't put yourself down, put it down to being a more careful driver, when was the last time you were involved in an accident when it was your fault?
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

silverhairs wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:49 am Come on "Leif" don't put yourself down, put it down to being a more careful driver, when was the last time you were involved in an accident when it was your fault?
I should have 14 years NCB although they will only credit 9 years. The last accident was when I was parked in a supermarket car park between two huge 4 by 4s. I had zero side vision when reversing out, and the rear of my car went into a car that drove behind me. That is partly why I loathe 4 by 4s. I am a dull driver, and yes I am fairly careful. About 15 years ago I did an IAM advanced driving course which was incredibly useful and I recommend it to anyone who wants to improve their driving and avoid accidents. It teaches car control, and how to account for the stupidity of some other road users. That said, I still have the odd mistake, such as driving too fast round a wet bend, and struggling to maintain control. Ooops.
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

The reversing out bit, when parking in a supermarket carpark, I try and drive through so that I can drive straight out, I tend to get 4x4 or transits parked next to me. That's why I've ordered the "Blind spot monitor with rear cross traffic alert" for the same reason.

You can park your car far away from other cars and when you come out, some nice person with a big motor has parked right next to you :evil:
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

silverhairs wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:45 pm You can park your car far away from other cars and when you come out, some nice person with a big motor has parked right next to you :evil:
Tell me about it. I park well away from other vehicles in a nearly empty car park. When I return, someone has parked alongside. Why?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Leif wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:19 pm
silverhairs wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:49 am Come on "Leif" don't put yourself down, put it down to being a more careful driver, when was the last time you were involved in an accident when it was your fault?
I should have 14 years NCB although they will only credit 9 years. The last accident was when I was parked in a supermarket car park between two huge 4 by 4s. I had zero side vision when reversing out, and the rear of my car went into a car that drove behind me. That is partly why I loathe 4 by 4s. I am a dull driver, and yes I am fairly careful. About 15 years ago I did an IAM advanced driving course which was incredibly useful and I recommend it to anyone who wants to improve their driving and avoid accidents. It teaches car control, and how to account for the stupidity of some other road users. That said, I still have the odd mistake, such as driving too fast round a wet bend, and struggling to maintain control. Ooops.
With many insurers you will have earned the maximum no claims discount after remaining claim free for five years. After year five, if you continue to remain claim free, the discount % amount that’s factored into the premium calculation doesn’t increase further; it remains the same. So, whether you have been claim free for nine years or fourteen years is unlikely to make a difference to your premium.

I do dislike parking in public car parks and supermarket car parks. The only damage I’ve sustained to a car in the last 17 years has been while it’s parked in a car park - once to my current car while I was at the dentist, and on a separate occasion (different car) in an airport car park.

I try and park as far away as possible from other cars to minimise the risk of damage, but as silverhairs has said, you often find your car attracts other cars, even in virtually empty car parks!
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

Is it the herding instinct that some people seem to have.

Yesterday I parked my car at the complete opposite end of the car park to all other cars about 50 yards away for the nearest car. I parked in a corner so that only one Idiot could park next to me. We went to watch the football upon our return to the carpark...right next to us a huge ford ranger. NO OTHER CAR IN THE ENIRE CAR PARK. So close to me I had to pull out to let my partner inn the passenger door. To be fair I checked for knocks and dents but there were none. I took the trouble to leave a note asking "WHY, were you a sheep in a previous life? you have an entire car park and you park so close to me my passenger cannot get in until I have pulled out. Please try to consider other people in future and overcome that herding instinct that you display, a psychiatrist may help".
Last edited by mike sel on Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

I'm sure they use yours as a point of reference when parking so they don't have to use the lines in the road.
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

I've been watching on you-tube in America when somebody straddles the parking lines in the carpark, if there's space either side, they park as close as possible to the offending motor, these tow guys have these 4x4 with bloody great wheels, so really there's not much of a chance their motors will be damaged. then they sit and wait for the driver to turn up and film him or her trying first to get in their car, then trying to drive out of the small space without damaging their own cars :lol:
Today we have some sort of fete in our village, and so they don't have to walk any distance, the dick heads are parking their cars right on the path, and when I went in and complained they couldn't see what I was complaining about, It just seemed normal thing to do :roll:
silverhairs
Gold Member

Post by silverhairs »

Getting back to the original subject "What MPG are owners getting in the real world". This is really a very complex subject, there are very different things to bring to the equation.
1. Is the driver heavy with his/her right foot
2. If it's a manual or DSG box? My Mrs drives to the local supermarket and in the car we have at the moment never gets out of 4th gear, when on a longer run and she's driving, I have to remind her there is another gear, how she would get on with a 6 speed manual beats me. When we took the DSG Polo out for a test drive, she was real chuffed that she was in 7th gear.
3. The terrain of the area, we live in Lincolnshire, once you get into 5th, and there's no traffic, you can go for miles in 5th, but you live in the Dales of Yorkshire or in the Lake district, your up and down the box like a yoyo.
4. Whether you do a lot of town driving or motorway driving?
5. How many people you carry in your Polo at one time?
6. The weather, if it's cold, the auto choke will stay on longer, dry or wet, some people say that with more moist air the engine runs more efficient?

The list can go on and on. You know with the old type of tests the manufacturers used, you didn't really stand a chance of achieving their MPG.

This subject can roll on and on, it could even reach the dizzy heights of 42 pages like some of the posts in the forum.
When you get your car, and get it "run-in" fill the tank up to the neck, take note of the mileage, do your normal driving until you get to just above the red line, fill up to the neck again and divide the miles covered by the gallons used. litres to gallons (divide the litres by 4.546)
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

I’ve always exceeded the manufacturer’s mpg except with the Polo where I am down 5%. One important point missed in the previous post is forward observation. Keep well behind the car in front, and you need to brake less. Look ahead and you can better judge your speed, so as to slide onto a roundabout without braking. I once had a ride with someone who braked sharply at junctions, then accelerated fast out of the junction. I was being pushed forwards and backwards, very uncomfortable, and his mpg would have been awful. Oddly enough he spoke in the same way, very fast, with sudden stops. What I find is that good forward observation means I can often overtake speedy Gonzales. He overtakes me, then gets in the wrong lane approaching a roundabout. I just glide past, and slide onto the roundabout as a gap opens up, leaving boy racer in his faster car behind.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

The brand and rolling resistance of tyres can also have an impact on mpg; brand of tyres fitted to a new car is something that’s out of the owner’s/driver’s control until the time comes to replace the tyres. Additionally, driving with the windows open creates additional drag, so would have a negative impact on fuel consumption.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

Yes, VW fit eco tyres to many cars including the Polo and Up. These tend to have a harder rubber. Air con also uses more energy as does the stereo and headlights in winter. Slip streaming can save fuel, not so safe though.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

There is an option on the build sheet for the customer to specify the tyre brand they require, but I'd doubt if VW UK allow that to be a selectable option on UK build cars, in fact there will be many options that VW UK don't bother to be a selectable option for UK build cars, save them bothering doesn't it, customers, who cares if "you" don't buy it someone else will, now move along there.