Polo GTI Seats

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Petertay12
New
Drives: Polo gti

Polo GTI Seats

Post by Petertay12 »

Anyone ordering the Upholstery - Art Velours Titan black seats?

What do you guys think about it?
Attachments
polo seats gitititii.PNG
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Polo GTI Seats

Post by SRGTD »

I personally prefer the standard tartan seat upholstery, which is part of a GTI’s heritage going back to the mk1 Golf GTI. The Jacara tartan also helps to brighten up the interior, which would be a very dark, sombre place without them (black seats and carpets, dark grey door cards, dark grey roof lining), especially if the Deep Iron dash pad is specc’d.

I know you get heated seats with the Art Velours alcantara option, but £1,000 for artificial suede seat coverings is very expensive in my opinion. The GTI in the video below has Art Velours seats and the plastic leather trim on the top corner of the driver’s seat back (at 1m 01s in the video) looks quite saggy. It may be a one-off, but if it’s representative of the quality of finish you get with this expensive option, I’d stick with the standard (much nicer IMO) Jacara seat upholstery and save the £1,000, which would buy quite a few tank fulls of petrol and driving enjoyment :D.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jzfdsmLdP-U

Edit; it also looks as if you get the standard Polo front seat design from non-GTI/GTI+ Polos if you go for the Art Velours option - less bolstering and a different design around the shoulder area compared to the Jacara tartan ‘sports’ seats in the GTI/GTI+. You can see the differences if you compare the seats in the video with the picture below. Another reason to get the standard tartan seats and save yourself £1,000.
Attachments
ACB518FD-B874-4C64-A60B-CB115D3CEE59.jpeg
Last edited by SRGTD on Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TurboTrev
Getting There!
Drives: Golf CS

Post by TurboTrev »

Each to their own, but not for me. I wouldn't have it as a no cost option, never mind £1,000. :shock:
jbGTI
New
Drives: GTI

Post by jbGTI »

Hi chaps, posting from South Africa here.

Weirdly enough, the "Art Velours Titan black leather seats" are a standard option here in South Africa, we do not get the red tartan option.

I have gone through to a dealership to view a Polo GTI and in my personal opinion, the Art Velours Titan black seats is not worth it, as seen in the picture above, the leather "part" of the seat is not actually black leather but a silver metallic leather. This silver leather looks almost very cheap, it does not sit well with the rest of the interior and especially red dash inserts, also I noted, the craftmanship on these seat are lets say not the best, found some loose stitching here and there.

With what its worth in price, the red tartan seats looks a much better option.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

jbGTI wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:30 pm Hi chaps, posting from South Africa here.

Weirdly enough, the "Art Velours Titan black leather seats" are a standard option here in South Africa, we do not get the red tartan option.

I have gone through to a dealership to view a Polo GTI and in my personal opinion, the Art Velours Titan black seats is not worth it, as seen in the picture above, the leather "part" of the seat is not actually black leather but a silver metallic leather. This silver leather looks almost very cheap, it does not sit well with the rest of the interior and especially red dash inserts, also I noted, the craftmanship on these seat are lets say not the best, found some loose stitching here and there.

With what its worth in price, the red tartan seats looks a much better option.
That’s disappointing you don’t get the tartan seats GTi’s built for the local South African market; in my opinion the tartan seats are a key part of VW’s GTI brand heritage which goes back to the 1970’s and the mk1 Golf GTI.

As for the leather parts of the seat, with Art Velours alcantara upholstery in the Golf, the leather is actually ‘pleather’; plastic leather (so vinyl). On the previous generation Polo, the ‘leather’ parts of the alcantara seat upholstery were also vinyl. It’s unlikely the new Polo would get real leather when the Golf doesn’t.

From the YouTube video I posted earlier in this thread (post dated April 15th), I agree that the craftsmanship on the Art Velours seats doesn’t look to be the best.