Polo's everywhere!

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Re: Polo's everywhere!

Post by stevereeves »

Leif wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:19 pm The problem is that they are very hard to recognise. From the front they look just like a recent Golf. I have to see the rear light cluster to know for sure. When I had a tyre replaced, the mechanic said “is that your Golf”. I don’t think he’d confuse the older Polo.

I don’t see many about, one or two a day at most and I have a 25 mile commute each way. I do see loads of 2017 and 2018 Golfs. So I assume they are not selling so well.
Yeh you tend to notice one when it's 3/4 to side-on to you as it passes by. From the front they do look Golf-ish and from the rear look a lot like previous Polo with different rear lites. Think that makes 3 I've seen, one maybe twice still not many....
stevereeves
Silver Member

Post by stevereeves »

Saw another two; one in reflex silver, one 'energtic orange metallic'. When something is in you thoughts you do tend to see more of them and for a car which has been rated so highly they should seemingly be everywhere, but they're not....
PoloBlueGT
Bronze Member
Drives: Landrover Freelander

Post by PoloBlueGT »

I have seen double figures of these cars so far from energetic orange ones to reflex silver etc and I have seen at least 5 that are driving instructors cars. Only one GTI though so maybe that’s a good thing for exclusivity so far.
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

stevereeves wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:04 pm Saw another two; one in reflex silver, one 'energtic orange metallic'. When something is in you thoughts you do tend to see more of them and for a car which has been rated so highly they should seemingly be everywhere, but they're not....
I don’t understand the lack of them, and there are plenty on the shelves. Maybe the market is price sensitive. Or maybe the Fiesta is cleaning up. Not that I’ve seen many of those.
stevereeves
Silver Member

Post by stevereeves »

I hope to find one parked somewhere to chat with the driver. A tip I was taught a long time ago is approach someone who owns whatever it is you are intrested in, after a brief funny look they will normally tell you exactly what it's like. Not that I don't believe folks on here, I do, but it's better to chat there and then which we obviously can't on the forum....
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Saw a ‘67 plate deep black pearl Polo in my village today. I think it’s one I’ve seen before.
stevereeves wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:16 pm I hope to find one parked somewhere to chat with the driver. A tip I was taught a long time ago is approach someone who owns whatever it is you are intrested in, after a brief funny look they will normally tell you exactly what it's like. Not that I don't believe folks on here, I do, but it's better to chat there and then which we obviously can't on the forum....
A few years back when I had my mk6 Golf GTD, I had someone approach me on a filling station forecourt, asking me what I thought of my Golf. They were thinking of buying one, so they were doing exactly what you’ve suggested. Along with my current Polo GTI, I still think my Golf GTD was one of the best cars I’ve owned 🙂.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

stevereeves wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:16 pm I hope to find one parked somewhere to chat with the driver. A tip I was taught a long time ago is approach someone who owns whatever it is you are intrested in, after a brief funny look they will normally tell you exactly what it's like. Not that I don't believe folks on here, I do, but it's better to chat there and then which we obviously can't on the forum....
I can honestly say I love my Polo, despite hating the VW reverse gear change, and the dodgy braking assist. However, I am a very boring driver. VW Connect says I have a gentle driving style. Yawn. :D

But to be fair, colleagues love their cars: a Cactus, a Jaguar XF, a 4 Series BMW etc. A big Beemer would scare me, a Cactus would repel me, and a Jaguar would empty my wallet. Maybe we gravitate to our own style of car. The days when cars routinely broke down are gone, though web sites such as Honest John list known faults for each make and model.
stevereeves
Silver Member

Post by stevereeves »

SRGTD wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:19 pm A few years back when I had my mk6 Golf GTD, I had someone approach me on a filling station forecourt, asking me what I thought of my Golf. They were thinking of buying one, so they were doing exactly what you’ve suggested. Along with my current Polo GTI, I still think my Golf GTD was one of the best cars I’ve owned 🙂.
Wasn't me, I looked at a Golf diesel a few years ago, but that's a different story and it wasn't a GTD. I was asked about my Golf Mk5 a few years before that and I think my last Golf in 2013, Mk7 1.4SE, as they were pretty rare back then, bit like the Polo now. Hope the posters expecting to take delivery soon aren't waiting much longer....
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

The thing is with Hire car polo's, they are normally the lowest HP output, with no turbo, so it will be driving around on a slug, and they'll have any colour going so they can get them on hire, so any basic polo's going they will have, it looks good to be able to have new Polo's on stock, if the next hire company has only an older shaped Vauxhall, or the older shaped Polo.
The thing is, if a hire company orders the new Polo at 200/300 at a time, that's going to push the small guy whose only ordered one to the back of the queue, and that's us, but that's business :x .
stevereeves
Silver Member

Post by stevereeves »

Yeh hire companies often take the cheapest version of a car. Was once on holiday and it appeared we were being followed by a dark blue Renault Clio, we travelled all over Scotland, literally 100's of miles coast to coast, and the same Clio kept turning up. I'm not normally paranoid but now a tad concerned I decided to take down the reg number, just in case. After a another day of 'being followed' we realised it / they were hire cars :mrgreen: . Back on topic, saw the same silver Polo again and the driver still hasn't got their indicators fixed :shock: , I should advise them to take it back to the dealer or maybe direct them to this forum....
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

stevereeves wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:46 pm Yeh hire companies often take the cheapest version of a car. Was once on holiday and it appeared we were being followed by a dark blue Renault Clio, we travelled all over Scotland, literally 100's of miles coast to coast, and the same Clio kept turning up. I'm not normally paranoid but now a tad concerned I decided to take down the reg number, just in case. After a another day of 'being followed' we realised it / they were hire cars :mrgreen: . Back on topic, saw the same silver Polo again and the driver still hasn't got their indicators fixed :shock: , I should advise them to take it back to the dealer or maybe direct them to this forum....
Probably an ex-BMW driver. They don't realise that indicators come as standard. I did express surprise when a colleague with a BMW used his indicators. He was not amused. :shock:
stevereeves
Silver Member

Post by stevereeves »

Leif wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:05 pm Probably an ex-BMW driver. They don't realise that indicators come as standard. I did express surprise when a colleague with a BMW used his indicators. He was not amused. :shock:
Know what, I've spoken to 4 peeps this week, one a biker one a taxi driver, and all said the same thing, though you can add Audi drivers to the equation. What is it with some German car drivers, VW pilots seem mostly ok....
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

stevereeves wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:55 pm
Leif wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:05 pm Probably an ex-BMW driver. They don't realise that indicators come as standard. I did express surprise when a colleague with a BMW used his indicators. He was not amused. :shock:
Know what, I've spoken to 4 peeps this week, one a biker one a taxi driver, and all said the same thing, though you can add Audi drivers to the equation. What is it with some German car drivers, VW pilots seem mostly ok....
I was thinking about this thread yesterday as I approached a roundabout behind an Audi A6 estate. Lack of indicator use told me they were going straight on...........no, they turned right!
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

I suspect that certain brands have a sporty image - I’m not qualified to assess the validity of the image - and hence some brands attract people who do not indicate. I must admit I’ve never understood the idea of a sporty car. Often I overtake the sporty driver a mile or two on, at a roundabout say, because they have poor forward observation skills. Or more accurately, they have poor driving skills. In the U.K. there aren’t many roads that allow safe ‘sporty’ driving. That said, in my later years I’ll probably buy a boy racer car with rorty exhaust sounds. :mrgreen:
stevereeves
Silver Member

Post by stevereeves »

SRGTD wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:03 pm
I was thinking about this thread yesterday as I approached a roundabout behind an Audi A6 estate. Lack of indicator use told me they were going straight on...........no, they turned right!
Without staring a long-winded thread on road safety and being an ex-biker (where you have to be good to stay alive).
Indicators 101: when a vehicle puts its indicators on bear in mind it may turn or change direction, but it has only put its indicators on. In other words anticipate what may or may not happen, it will buy vital factions of a second reaction time if the twit does something unexpected. Let's be safe out there....