New Polo SE 1.0 TSI 95ps 5 door DSG

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
MasterRich
New
Drives: None yet

Re: New Polo SE 1.0 TSI 95ps 5 door DSG

Post by MasterRich »

Thanks, the nearest station to me is BP, Shell is a bit further down the road. I may top up on 97 High octane now and then and do what you suggested before heading out on weekend :)

Just wanted to ask rather than having my car sit at home Mon-Fri and then drive it around on weekend, you think I should just drive to work each day? It's about 2.5miles depending on traffic but I can go a longer way around just to get it running more. Wondering if it's worth doing...
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

MasterRich wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:27 am Just wanted to ask rather than having my car sit at home Mon-Fri and then drive it around on weekend, you think I should just drive to work each day? It's about 2.5miles depending on traffic but I can go a longer way around just to get it running more. Wondering if it's worth doing...
That ^^ describes the life of my car(s). Drive to work: an hour so so, walk: 45-50mins, cycle: 20ish mins. So I cycle and avoid the car being out of my sight, and therefore in the firing line of work vehicles (!) all day. Er, no. It gets used at least every few days, gets a minimum 20 mile round trip every week, with a few 50+miles round trips thrown in, which doesn't included pleasure driving, where you go for a spin 'just for the heck of it'. Using higher octane fuel now and again is prob a good idea and someone once said to me "where do you think supermarkets get their petrol, it's not exactly easy to refine, it's likely BP, Esso, or Shell." I use cheapo supermarket fuel and car runs ok but Esso makes it 'pink' for some reason. Back on the oil thing: I wouldn't use cheapo, unbranded supermarket oil, "not fit to oil garden gate hinges", apparently. Check oil weekly, and go over car yourself when it's been serviced as, to be fair, dealers are only human and stuff can get missed and you will understand your car more....
MasterRich
New
Drives: None yet

Post by MasterRich »

Good point, what oil do you recommend?
stevereeves
Silver Member

Post by stevereeves »

Must. Stop. Posting. All. The. Time :mrgreen: . I'd ask VW what they use, but pretty much any oil you heard of, i.e Castrol Edge seems favourite. Oh and get the right grade / type, especially make sure it matches the car: semi or fully synthetic....
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

MasterRich wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 6:40 pm Good point, what oil do you recommend?
I’d say most importantly, any oil you use needs to meet VW approved spec for engine oil. If you use oil that doesn’t meet the VW approved spec, you’re likely to invalidate your warranty as far as engine-related warranty claims are concerned.

Link below to VW’s website on VW recommended oil;

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/recommended-oil

5W-30 oil needs to meet VW spec 504 00 and 507.00. The information at the link above makes reference to the latest generation oil that is 0W-20 that meets VW spec 508 00 and 509 00. It states this new oil can only be used in specified engines, but doesn’t say which engines, so this oil may not be intended for use in the new Polo. I recommend you either check your owners manual or with your dealer to establish whether you should use 5W-30 or 0W-20 oil.

I always keep an oil top up kit in my car; these can be bought at your VW dealer, and by buying it at the dealer, you should be getting the correct oil for your car. In the first few months while the engine intervals are bedding in, you may find it uses a little oil, so if you get a top up kit from the dealer, then you’ll always have some VW approved oil of the correct viscosity if you need to top it up.
stevereeves
Silver Member

Post by stevereeves »

This ^^ :D ....
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

You talk about purchasing oil from your VW dealer, they will charge you top whack for the privilege. Find out from your hand book and purchase it from another place for a lot less.
As for having a handy bottle in the car, it's a brand new car, it shouldn't be using any oil, either by burning or loosing oil. If car manufacturers cannot make a car today without the owner having to top it up between services, don't deserve customers.
At the moment I'm waiting for my Polo to arrive so I'm still driving my old Nissan Note diesel, it's a 2011 plate, has a service every year, it's done 44,000 miles, and in those 7 years I've never had to top up the oil one little drop, and I hope I don't have to top up my new Polo.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

silverhairs wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 12:06 pm You talk about purchasing oil from your VW dealer, they will charge you top whack for the privilege.
It’s not expensive from the dealer if you get it for free when you pick your car up; if you don’t ask, you don’t get 😀
silverhairs wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 12:06 pm Find out from your hand book and purchase it from another place for a lot less.
As for having a handy bottle in the car, it's a brand new car, it shouldn't be using any oil, either by burning or loosing oil. If car manufacturers cannot make a car today without the owner having to top it up between services, don't deserve customers.
Lots of brand new cars will use some oil during the first few thousand miles. I added a quarter of a litre to mine in the first year. It hasn’t used any since.
stevereeves
Silver Member

Post by stevereeves »

Ah oil again, I actually drove my Golf today the top up oil supplied by dealer it's Quantum 5W-30 fully synthetic long life oil as per VW spec 504 & 507. Reckon any branded oil of identical spec will be ok, it's prob like shop own brand products; essentially the same stuff but different packaging & bit cheaper. I meant buy same oil, & filter, as supplied by dealer as you will get a receipt if doing your own oil change while car is under warranty. Dealer should supply a 1 litre bottle as new cars often use a bit til components 'bed in', say 1,000 miles or so, all my Golfs did and then hardly used any. If you don't ask you indeed don't get they forgot mine so I returned for it....