New Polo SE 1.0 TSI 95ps 5 door DSG

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
MasterRich
New
Drives: None yet

New Polo SE 1.0 TSI 95ps 5 door DSG

Post by MasterRich »

Hey guys so I cancelled my Seat Ibiza order and luckily I found the only DSG Polo in the colour I love in the UK! Going to pick it up this Saturday, so excited! :mrgreen:

• Limestone Grey Metallic
• 16" 'Torsby' Black diamond-turned
• Front Fog Lights
• Electrically foldable door mirrors with heating and lowering function
• Light and Sight pack
• Cruise control including speed limiter
• Park Assist
• Parking sensors
• Front centre armrest

Screen grabs from the video footage they sent me of the car. Are there any chrome handle mods/covers that I can buy to replace the standard painted ones? I've seen chrome door handles for the previous Polo.
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
Last edited by MasterRich on Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Re: New Polo SE 1.0 TSI 95ps 5 door DSG

Post by stevereeves »

Think you made the right choice, enjoy your new car....
TElwoody
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo 2018

Post by TElwoody »

MasterRich wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:23 pm Hey guys so I cancelled my Seat Ibiza order and luckily I found the only DSG Polo in the colour I love in the UK! Going to pick it up this Saturday, so excited! :mrgreen:

• Front Fog Lights
• Light and Sight pack
• Park Assist
• Parking sensors
• Front centre armrest

Screen grabs from the video footage they sent me of the car. Are there any chrome handle mods/covers that I can buy to replace the standard painted ones? I've seen chrome door handles for the previous Polo.
Does your car have lighting in the footwell and the little storage compartment in front of the gear stick?
alandbess
Bronze Member
Drives: Scirocco

Post by alandbess »

Nice colour and a few good options. Let us know how it drives....

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

MasterRich
New

Post by MasterRich »

Lovely to drive! Cannot be any more happy with it :D
Attachments
31530781_1825838984390924_4375321654457270272_n.jpg
31948535_1825839017724254_4396639213529858048_n.jpg
31935454_1825839051057584_7524061590467903488_n.jpg
vw.png
MasterRich
New

Post by MasterRich »

TElwoody wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 6:33 pm
MasterRich wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:23 pm Hey guys so I cancelled my Seat Ibiza order and luckily I found the only DSG Polo in the colour I love in the UK! Going to pick it up this Saturday, so excited! :mrgreen:

• Front Fog Lights
• Light and Sight pack
• Park Assist
• Parking sensors
• Front centre armrest

Does your car have lighting in the footwell and the little storage compartment in front of the gear stick?
I don't think so I'll take a look tomorrow
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

MasterRich wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 8:36 pm Lovely to drive! Cannot be any more happy with it :D
@MasterRich, Limestone Grey looks great in bright sunlight and really suits the size and shape of the Polo well - really shows the detail of the ‘crease lines’ along the side of the bodywork in the second picture.

Enjoy your car.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

TElwoody wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 6:33 pm Does your car have lighting in the footwell and the little storage compartment in front of the gear stick?
The price list is a good place to start to check on what’s standard and what options are available for each model in the Polo range;

http://origin.volkswagen.co.uk/assets/c ... celist.pdf

Page 8 of the price list; “Additional items of standard equipment; SEL (over SE)’ - under ‘Comfort and Convenience’; Ambient lighting in front footwell, light strips below trim in front and rear doors and dashboard. So, the SEL has this but not the SE. Forum member Leif answered this question in your earlier thread;

https://uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=71315

Storage area in front of gear lever. Picture below of the SE dashboard from the configurator. You can see the open storage area in front of the gear lever below the heating controls. Also, there’s plenty of nearly new Polo SE’s in the used cars section of the VW website with pictures of the interior that you can check out.
Attachments
B363F299-4FB4-4F3D-8A3E-7569E87253ED.jpeg
stevereeves
Silver Member

Post by stevereeves »

Wasn't really a fan of that colour but am warming to it somewhat. Another nice car, good stuff, enjoy....
TElwoody
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo 2018

Post by TElwoody »

SRGTD wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 9:38 pm
TElwoody wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 6:33 pm Does your car have lighting in the footwell and the little storage compartment in front of the gear stick?
The price list is a good place to start to check on what’s standard and what options are available for each model in the Polo range;

http://origin.volkswagen.co.uk/assets/c ... celist.pdf

Page 8 of the price list; “Additional items of standard equipment; SEL (over SE)’ - under ‘Comfort and Convenience’; Ambient lighting in front footwell, light strips below trim in front and rear doors and dashboard. So, the SEL has this but not the SE. Forum member Leif answered this question in your earlier thread;

https://uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=71315

Storage area in front of gear lever. Picture below of the SE dashboard from the configurator. You can see the open storage area in front of the gear lever below the heating controls. Also, there’s plenty of nearly new Polo SE’s in the used cars section of the VW website with pictures of the interior that you can check out.
I know i asked twice but the reason for that is when i had my Ibiza it didn't say anything about ambient lighting on the options list (musta ordered one of the first). Also is there really no lighting in that small tray in front of the gearstick? Doesn't need to be anywhere else like on the SEL just would be terrible in terms of ergonomics if it isnt.
MasterRich
New

Post by MasterRich »

Hey guys I might need some advice on a few things for those who own a Polo....
  • I mainly drive it on weekends just for short outings here and there, as we live in the city it only takes 20 mins to get to work via bus. No point in driving to work and paying to park which our company give us a discount but still it isn't worth it.
  • My wife's manager keep telling her to tell me to drive it more even if you do not intend to go on a duel carriage way or motorway or it will rust and have major issues. What's the real truth in this and does your car last longer if you drive more or less?
  • Should I be doing oil changes every so often? Dealer said I do not need to
  • So I use 95 Unleaded Petrol, a work friend said once in a blue moon use 97 just to help with cleaning the engine and clearing all the gunk. What would be the ideal time to use 97 high-octane? Once a month, or few months?
Cheers

Rich
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

MasterRich wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 1:55 pm Hey guys I might need some advice on a few things for those who own a Polo....
  • I mainly drive it on weekends just for short outings here and there, as we live in the city it only takes 20 mins to get to work via bus. No point in driving to work and paying to park which our company give us a discount but still it isn't worth it.
  • My wife's manager keep telling her to tell me to drive it more even if you do not intend to go on a duel carriage way or motorway or it will rust and have major issues. What's the real truth in this and does your car last longer if you drive more or less?
Doing predominantly short journeys isn’t the best use of a car for the health of its engine. Short journeys - especially if mainly in stop start traffic with a cold engine - may put more stress on engine components and the oil may not get up to normal operating temperature. On longer journeys in free flowing traffic, the engine oil gets up to normal operating temperature and if cruising at a steady speed, there’s less stress on the engine and drivetrain components.

As for having major issues; certain components may be subjected to more wear and tear on a car used mainly on short journeys than one used on longer journeys (e.g. clutch and brakes) as they’re being used more, but I wouldn’t anticipate any major issues, and if there are, your car’s under warranty anyway. Also, I can’t see how not driving on dual carriageways or motorways will mean you car would rust more! 😁. However, If it was my car, I’d try and make certain that i gave it at least one good run every week - with a new car, I’d not need an excuse to go out and drive it!
MasterRich wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 1:55 pm
  • Should I be doing oil changes every so often? Dealer said I do not need to
What service regime is your car on; flexible (long life) or time and distance? The default from the factory for VW’s is flexible (long life), but if you’re doing less than 10k miles per year and mainly short journeys, time and distance is more appropriate for your car, when your car would get an oil change every 12 months or 10,000 miles - whichever is the sooner. If you have a VW service plan, then your car’s service regime should’ve been changed to time and distance. With the technological advancements in car engine oil in recent years, I'd say it wouldn’t be necessary to change the engine oil in your car more frequently than it would be changed under the time and distance service regime.

Under the flexible service regime, an oil service is due at the sooner of 18,000 miles or 24 months. With predominantly short journeys, I’d not want to leave the oil in my engine for up to two years before it’s changed.

Link to information on VW service regimes from VW website below;

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes
MasterRich wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 1:55 pm
  • So I use 95 Unleaded Petrol, a work friend said once in a blue moon use 97 just to help with cleaning the engine and clearing all the gunk. What would be the ideal time to use 97 high-octane? Once a month, or few months?
Petrol such as Shell V-Power and Tesco Momentum 99 do have added detergents that claim to help ‘clean’ the engine. Your car is designed to run on 95 RON unleaded so it should be fine to stick to using this (it’s what VW have recommended). However, it won’t do any harm to give it an occasional fill up with high octane petrol, although, IMO not really necessary.
stevereeves
Silver Member

Post by stevereeves »

I am a huge fan of regular oil & filter changes, at least once per year or every 10,000 miles - or less if the car isn't driven often. Cars are much developed these days and are often filled with 'long life oil', another improvement on years gone by, but the slippery stuff still breaks down gradually reducing its effectiveness. If you own, or are buying the car, whatever your service schedule is, I'd still get VW to do at least a yearly 'oil filter' service anyway, even if you have to pay extra for it. You can do it yourself of course but if VTrub do it, you will get a nice stamp in your service book and reduce the possibility of mishaps through poss damaging the drain plug or filter housing and avoid a 'you've taken the back off this' type of warranty voiding. I'm not saying don't DIY, but on a new car with a warranty, best let the dealer do it. Oil is relatively cheap and basically is the biggest engine component as it comes into to contact with, and therefore lubricates, cleans and cools, almost every actual engine component. If the car is a rental, like mine, then just let the dealer do whatever. And, no I don't sell oil though I did once work in the motor industry :) .

The new Polo at 1.0 litre isn't a big engine so will be ok for city use but the odd long journey whereby the engine & oil get 'good and hot' will benefit mechanicals and the electrics. Reckon regular unleaded petrol in the UK will be ok too. My first Golf was a Mk5 1.6 petrol, the handbook reccomended at least 98 or 99 octane, it wasn't available locally so, being a bit tight & lazy, I stuck to 'regular' 95 or was it 97 octane (it's late and I'm tried) and it ran fine: well torquey with no 'pinking' and revved cleanly & good mpg. Same with last and current Golf, both Mk7 1.4 petrol. Ok, a 1.4 or 1.6 Golf engine isn't the same as the new Polo (well, duh) but the principles apply. As I was told a long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away :P ); take it easy the first 500 or so mles, then when you are ready for your new car, it'll be ready for you. Then neither drive it like you stole it, or like Driving Miss Daisey, just drive it....
Last edited by stevereeves on Thu May 24, 2018 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MasterRich
New

Post by MasterRich »

Thanks for your help guys, I think the only thing I need to keep doing is occasionally drive it at long distances. I have not driven in 17 years or so and since living in Edinburgh for 13, I have to get used to the areas but there are places where where we go often by bus that would take 30-45 mins to get to by bus so now we have a car this would be good to do this once a week as you said, just to get the car moving rather than doing city/short trips. I think that wouldn't be a problem for us.
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

As said, short journeys mean that the engine never warms up properly and carbon deposits are more likely to build up on valves etc. Using a premium fuel every now and then can help remove the deposits as it has more detergents. Ordinary fuel has enough detergents to keep the engine clean (assuming long runs) but not enough to clean existing dirt. Avoid supermarket petrol, it has less detergents. I never use the expensive fuel, or supermarket fuel, as I do lots of long(ish) commutes. Regular oil changes are the easiest way to help keep the engine running well. However, after one of my last services of my Up, the RAC examined the car and found it was very very low on oil. This suggests that VW did not change the oil as required for the service. :cry: Garages as a group are known to be a bit iffy, and do things like miss out parts of the service, but a main dealer (presumably) doing that takes the biscuit.

The car will not rust more, but brakes might rust, so when you take it for a run at the weekend, first warm the engine up, then do some good revs, and also give the brakes a good work out to remove any rust. Obviously do this away from traffic and hazards. :shock: There is something called the Italian tune up. Google will explain it.