Winter Pack?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Winter Pack?

Post by SRGTD »

RUM4MO, headlamp washers aren’t a legal requirement if the light output is less than 2,000 lumens. I’ve seen some new and late date Mercedes with LED headlights and they don’t have headlamp washers. Similarly, on videos I’ve seen of the new Polo GTI with LED headlamps, there are no headlamp washer covers on the front bumper, so assume these have a light output of less than 2,000 lumens.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Okay, you live and learn, I thought that it was more to do with HIDs and LED having not quite similar but more of a "point source" as opposed to filament bulbs with a reflector system having a spread of light, though if that was the case I'd expect projector beams filament or HID would be subject to same regs. Also I thought, again along the same lines, the higher density of light was the reason that these lights needed to be kept clean to still be able to give out adequate light - in as much as only a small or a few small areas of the external cover were actually transmitting the light output where as with filament bulbs and a reflector system, the light output density would be spread over a larger area so more light would be transmitted through a similarly dirty headlight.
Jason989
New
Drives: MK10

Post by Jason989 »

Volkswagen
Volkswagen
So I just had this reply from Volkswagen... hopefully it’s the configurator is wrong.

Plus they also stated something similar in the live chat for someone else... can’t remember the member’s name now!
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Jason989 wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 2:39 pm 840B59D2-A851-4791-BAF3-B9C67CAD6BBC.png

So I just had this reply from Volkswagen... hopefully it’s the configurator is wrong.

Plus they also stated something similar in the live chat for someone else... can’t remember the member’s name now!
Motorline VW Gatwick currently have a pre-reg Polo with winter pack (click on the pictures at the link below to enlarge them);

https://00671.usedcars.volkswagen.co.uk ... se-q4bl6ed

The mystery continues..............as the heated seat buttons can be seen in the interior pictures of the car on the heater control panel, but it can also be seen on the exterior pictures that there are no headlamp washer covers in the front bumper; the only cover in the front bumper is the one over the attachment point for the front towing eye (driver’s side of front bumper). This suggests the configurator is correct and the price list (and VW Customer Services response) is incorrect, unless there’s some clever way that the headlamp washers have been completely concealed from view on the new Polo? It would be interesting to hear VW Customer Services explanation of where the headlamp washers are located; if they responded ‘behind pop up covers in the front bumper’, I wonder if they’d change their response if they saw the pictures at the link above, and what information source are they using when responding to customers?

Under the FAQ section on VW’s website, there’s a specific winter pack question’

What is included in a Winter Pack?
It depends on the model but normally this includes heated front seats and heated windscreen washer jets. Please visit the new cars section of the site for more details.

So normally, the winter pack doesn’t include headlamp washers (it used to).

It also appears that the winter pack option on the T-Roc and the Passat doesn’t include headlamp washers (pictures on VW’s website and on Auto Trader for nearly new models for sale confirm this), so maybe VW are phasing these out as new models are introduced? If they’re not on the T-Roc or Passat, which are higher up the model range then the Polo in VW’s range of vehicles, then I’d be surprised if they were fitted to the Polo.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

It would be a bit annoying and naughty is VW Group have spotted this opportunity to ease the price slightly on the winter pack option then grab lots more back when you select head light washers.

Anyone that has spec'd winter pack and driven "out of town" will understand the benefits you gain from having head light washers in late Autumn, Winter and early Spring - and maybe even in Summer in UK etc is it proves to be a nasty one, I fully understand the annoyance over the sometimes excessive use of washer fluid, but I can quickly settle down again and understand that in the long run (not meant as a pun) the washer do improve your forward sighting/vision.

Edit:- I'm not completely clear on who makes up or fixes the content of options like "winter pack" - is it fixed by VW Group and only made available if the official importer to a sales territory requests it either as an option or part of a model version sold in that sales territory - or can the official importers, in UK's case VW UK (who are currently owned by VW), request individual items to make up what will end up being offered as "winter pack" option?
Jason989
New

Post by Jason989 »

SRGTD wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 5:57 am
Jason989 wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 2:39 pm 840B59D2-A851-4791-BAF3-B9C67CAD6BBC.png

Motorline VW Gatwick currently have a pre-reg Polo with winter pack (click on the pictures at the link below to enlarge them);

https://00671.usedcars.volkswagen.co.uk ... se-q4bl6ed

The mystery continues..............as the heated seat buttons can be seen in the interior pictures of the car on the heater control panel, but it can also be seen on the exterior pictures that there are no headlamp washer covers in the front bumper; the only cover in the front bumper is the one over the attachment point for the front towing eye (driver’s side of front bumper). This suggests the configurator is correct and the price list (and VW Customer Services response) is incorrect, unless there’s some clever way that the headlamp washers have been completely concealed from view on the new Polo? It would be interesting to hear VW Customer Services explanation of where the headlamp washers are located; if they responded ‘behind pop up covers in the front bumper’, I wonder if they’d change their response if they saw the pictures at the link above, and what information source are they using when responding to customers?

Under the FAQ section on VW’s website, there’s a specific winter pack question’

What is included in a Winter Pack?
It depends on the model but normally this includes heated front seats and heated windscreen washer jets. Please visit the new cars section of the site for more details.

So normally, the winter pack doesn’t include headlamp washers (it used to).

It also appears that the winter pack option on the T-Roc and the Passat doesn’t include headlamp washers (pictures on VW’s website and on Auto Trader for nearly new models for sale confirm this), so maybe VW are phasing these out as new models are introduced? If they’re not on the T-Roc or Passat, which are higher up the model range then the Polo in VW’s range of vehicles, then I’d be surprised if they were fitted to the Polo.
Yeah, that’s pretty clear that the headlight washers aren’t there... I’ve seen others with heated seats but this is the only advert I’ve seen that specifically states the car has winter pack. Between this and the absolute p*** take build time, I’m starting to get a little bit annoyed.

Also, on the configurator, the Seyne wheels no longer have a cost attached to them (for SE anyway) so... are they going to refund me £125? I absolutely doubt it but, by their rules where they can just change things as they want then, they should be given for free.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

@Jason989, I understand your frustration. I thought I would see what explanation VWCS would give on live chat, bearing in mind last week you, and other forum members were advised the winter pack details in the price list were correct, and the configurator wasn’t.

I’ve been chatting with Nafis on live chat who said the winter pack consisted of heated seats and low washer fluid warning. When I asked why the price list stated it also included headlamp washers and heated washer jets, they couldn’t provide an explanation, especially as the car at Motorlink VW Gatwick clearly doesn’t have headlamp washers (does it have heated washer jets? Probably not!). Nafis acknowledged there were no headlamp washers on the Motorlink VW Gatwick car.

The only other way that car would have heated seats is if it had the Art Velours alcantara seat upholstery option, which looking at the pictures, it doesn’t. So it definitely has the Winter Pack and no headlamp washers, and probably no heated washer jets either!

Forum member Teras_UK has just taken delivery of their Polo SEL and the specified the Winter Pack. From the pictures of their car, it doesn’t come as a surprise there are no headlamp washers either. Pictures are in a link in this thread - about halfway down page 5;

https://uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?f=71 ... 1&start=60

So, based on the pre reg car for sale at the Gatwick dealer, Forum member Teras_UK’s car and my live chat conversation, if I was a betting man, I’d put money on the winter pack just consisting of heated seats and low washer fluid warning.

Those of you who have ordered the Winter Pack option might want to save a copy of the current price list before it’s updated, so when you take delivery of your car you can take up with your dealer the issue of what you thought you were getting in the Winter Pack and what you actually get. You might be able to get some freebies from the dealer by way of compensation! :)
Jason989
New

Post by Jason989 »

I just messaged my dealer this morning actually with a couple of issues.

I’ve also asked them to clarify the winter pack situation... I’m hoping they decide to throw in a couple of dealer fit options but, I very much doubt that they’ll offer anything at this stage.

Let’s see what happens!
alandbess
Bronze Member
Drives: Scirocco

Post by alandbess »

The Polo brochure which is included In the advertising for the "Polo Event" running from 18/05 - 04/06 states winter pack has headlight washers

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Jason989
New

Post by Jason989 »

I had a reply from the dealer this morning - they said they don't have an update currently on what items are included in optional packs but, will update me accordingly... which sounds like there is an update, just that they're not aware/don't want to explain any further. Headlight washers have definitely been dropped as cars fitted with the winter pack clearly don't have them.

Also, as a side note, they have now changed my delivery date from the end of June (which was already revised from the initial date I was given) to 'TBC' so, I don't even know how long I could be waiting anymore!
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Comparing the cost of the Winter Pack option of the current Polo (£285) with the previous model of Polo (£364), the option is £80 less on the current Polo, so that did suggest the content had been reduced. Also, not having to have additional plastic mouldings produced for versions of bumpers with headlamp washers will be a cost saving for VW as fewer permutations of front bumper will need to be produced - and with the cost of Dieselgate to be paid for, VW will no doubt have a strategy of ongoing cost saving. That’s no consolation for people who’ve ordered the winter pack option and were expecting to have headlamp washers though!
Jason989
New

Post by Jason989 »

Yeah, it’s frustrating. Obviously they do need to make savings where possible due to Dieselgate... however, they shouldn’t compromise on customer services and annoy those people who still want a Volkswagen.

I’m currently deciding whether to cancel my order or not, they’ve not been that great so far so I dunno if I want to get tied into a 4 year lease with them! :)
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Jason989 wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 5:05 pm Yeah, it’s frustrating. Obviously they do need to make savings where possible due to Dieselgate... however, they shouldn’t compromise on customer services and annoy those people who still want a Volkswagen.

I’m currently deciding whether to cancel my order or not, they’ve not been that great so far so I dunno if I want to get tied into a 4 year lease with them! :)
I understand your frustration, and VW’s communication process for keeping customers updated is pretty poor IMO. I had an eight month wait with my third VW, and salesman I was dealing with at the time was excellent on the communication front and gave me fortnightly updates - even if there wasn’t anything new to tell me. It seems that these days, there’s much greater reliance by VW on the on-line tracker or phone app for customer updates, but if VW don’t keep the tracker information updated, then that’s not a very effective communication medium.

If it’s any consolation, people on other VW forums I’m a member on who’ve ordered VW’s and experienced long waits pretty much all conclude that it was worth the wait when they’ve taken delivery of their cars.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Its crazy if VW (Germany) is expecting to take the lead and update all customers, all UK based buyers are buying from a local VW approved dealer who communicates with the UK importer of VW cars - so your contact is with your dealer, VW trying to play the "one world" trick with its customers and failing badly is not good enough.

Edit:- sorry maybe I am not phrasing this properly, but short idea of what is happening, you as a UK customer is buying a car manufactured by VW Group from an outlet that sells VW Group cars, what/why VW Germany is doing is your dealer's problem, maybe he should look elsewhere for stock if VW UK is letting him down.
Jason989
New

Post by Jason989 »

Not that this is a surprise, but Volkswagen UK have confirmed that the winter pack definitely does not contain headlight washers... pretty disappointed, I feel I could have put that money towards other options/packs but, it is what it is!