Rear Lights

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Rear Lights

Post by stevereeves »

Does the new Polo have twin reversing lights ? I've looked at many photos and it's hard to tell whether there is a separate rear fog lamp, in the large 'red area' of the light or it's next to the right nad side indicator, but also looks a single reversing lamp on the left side. If you see what I mean ? (can't get a pic to upload) I prefer twin 'reversers' as just the one looks a bit odd to me, like a bulb is out, and 2 rears does make a differnece to rear viewing if one finds oneself in total middle-of-nowheres-ville and needs to turn around in the pitch black. My Golf is booked in for a sevice in 2 weeks and I plan to walk around a new Polo and talk some figures with a salesperson.....
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Rear Lights

Post by SRGTD »

Looks as if it just has one;

https://thewikihow.com/video_zPCurtWvm14
stevereeves
Silver Member

Post by stevereeves »

Thanks, seen that vid but also seen another where it appears to have two, don't you just hate it when 'a plan' gets complicated. Not a deal breaker but would prefer the two....
alandbess
Bronze Member
Drives: Scirocco

Post by alandbess »

At 1m50s

2 reverse lights

https://youtu.be/6fldH1lheXY

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Maybe it depends upon the country that the car will be sold in. Perhaps if there’s no legal requirement to have a rear fog light you get two reversing lights, but only one if it’s necessary to have a rear fog light (the fog light taking up the space where the offside reversing light would be fitted).

Perhaps someone who’s taken delivery of their car in the UK could confirm how many reversing lights their car’s got.
stevereeves
Silver Member

Post by stevereeves »

alandbess wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 8:26 pm At 1m50s

2 reverse lights

https://youtu.be/6fldH1lheXY

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Seen that too, and another that I can't find at the mo', is confusing no? I'll have good look when I am at (reasonably) local (mostly) friendly (usually) helpful VW dealer, may even get someone to stick a key in one and select reverse. Prob diff specs for dif countries.

Here's another lite-related query: does the daytime running headlight go out when the indicator of the same side is operating? It does on Mk7 Golfs. In fact I got one of the very 1st Mk7's in 2013 & initially thought there was an electrical problem, neither dealer nor VW UK had any idea whether it was a design feature or not (!). Turned out it is, eventually solved the mystery by watching many internet review videos though was still confusing for a while, a bit like the number of reversing lite(s) on new Polos....
stevereeves
Silver Member

Post by stevereeves »

To put everyone's mind at rest so the entire forum can sleep once more (!), I briefly checked out a new Polo whilst getting my Golf serviced and can confirm it is is equipped with just the one reversing light. Bit disappointing but not a potential deal breaker for me. Didn't place an order, too much stuff going on in my life to think about new cars for the mo, but interestingly a salesperson told me delivery / waiting times for new Polos is 'a joke for the time being' and no surprise they only had the one (white) Polo in the showroom, SE manual I think, but loads of Golfs, T-Rocs & Ups....
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

stevereeves wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 7:58 pm To put everyone's mind at rest so the entire forum can sleep once more (!), I briefly checked out a new Polo whilst getting my Golf serviced and can confirm it is is equipped with just the one reversing light. Bit disappointing but not a potential deal breaker for me.
Not a big surprise really Steve. I can’t see VW fitting two reversing lights in the UK if they’re not legally required to do so.

Looking at the lower strip of the rear light cluster, for UK cars it accommodates the fog light and indicator in the right hand side light cluster and the reversing light and indicator in the left one. In countries that don’t require rear fog lights, you probably do get two reversing lights, but to accommodate two reversing lights and a rear fog light for the UK would probably require a redesign of the light cluster.

The last 3 VW’s I’ve owned (mk5 and mk6 Golf and my current 2016 Polo) only have one reversing light, so it’s been a feature of some VW models for many years. I think you may get two reversing lights on some of the more expensive VW’s (Touareg and Arteon perhaps?).
stevereeves
Silver Member

Post by stevereeves »

Yeah that rear fog / reversing light configuration pretty standard in the industry, no biggie. Strange two of the vid clips above seem to show both a single and double rear reverse lights on a right hand drive car, the one I saw in dealer defo had the single. Often the devil is in the detail, s'pecially when about to pull the trigger on a new vehicle, you want to be 100% sure about what you're getting before you get it....
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

stevereeves wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 2:22 am Yeah that rear fog / reversing light configuration pretty standard in the industry, no biggie. Strange two of the vid clips above seem to show both a single and double rear reverse lights on a right hand drive car, the one I saw in dealer defo had the single. Often the devil is in the detail, s'pecially when about to pull the trigger on a new vehicle, you want to be 100% sure about what you're getting before you get it....
Yes, I like to know what I’m getting for my hard earned when I’m buying new car. One of the first things I do when I get a new car is to read through the owners manual too - is that sad? Maybe, but if I’m spending thousands on a new car, then I want to make sure I’m aware of what features it’s got, and how any options I’ve paid for work, so I can make full use of them, rather than discover something I didn’t know about 2-3 years into ownership :).
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

SRGTD wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 6:00 am
stevereeves wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 2:22 am Yeah that rear fog / reversing light configuration pretty standard in the industry, no biggie. Strange two of the vid clips above seem to show both a single and double rear reverse lights on a right hand drive car, the one I saw in dealer defo had the single. Often the devil is in the detail, s'pecially when about to pull the trigger on a new vehicle, you want to be 100% sure about what you're getting before you get it....
Yes, I like to know what I’m getting for my hard earned when I’m buying new car. One of the first things I do when I get a new car is to read through the owners manual too - is that sad? Maybe, but if I’m spending thousands on a new car, then I want to make sure I’m aware of what features it’s got, and how any options I’ve paid for work, so I can make full use of them, rather than discover something I didn’t know about 2-3 years into ownership :).
LOL I usually do that. Until my POLO arrives I'm driving a Nissan note 1.2 I got the supercharged one. I got it new on a 65 plate. The other day a car alarm went off in the street, it turned out to be My Nissan Note ! in nearly 3 years of driving 34,000 miles and I didn't even know it had an alarm. Could have saved money on my insurance had I known.
john-k
New
Drives: Polo SEL AW

Post by john-k »

silly question about the rear lights, are they regular halogen bulbs for the brake, indicator and reverse lights or are they LED now? It seems from the online videos of Polo owners in Europe that they are LED as they come on instantly when the brake pedal is pressed. However I was driving behind a new polo earlier this week and when it braked, the lights kind of "fade in" like typical halogens do.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Whether or not the rear lights are LED depends on the model. In the UK, R-Line, GTI and GTI+ get LED rear light clusters as standard. They’re a cost option on SE, SEL and Beats models (they’re part of the LED headlamp option on these models). The situation might be different in other countries though.
john-k
New
Drives: Polo SEL AW

Post by john-k »

Ahh, makes sense then. I'll check mine when I get my new car in July, I did add LED headlamp option when I placed my order back in Jan. Just waiting for the car to actually come now after 5 months :roll: