GTI+ order date vs build week confirmation

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
alandbess
Bronze Member
Drives: Scirocco

GTI+ order date vs build week confirmation

Post by alandbess »

Hi all.....
As it seems there's no rhyme or reason to when and how build weeks are confirmed I thought we could try and get some sort of order in our own heads [emoji16]. So, if we can provide our order date and then post a reply quotinv our original post once we have a build week confirmed, we might be able to work out lead times without relying on what is the poor communications from VWUK....

I ordered my GTI+ originally on 21/03 for which I received an order number. Unfortunately, due to an issue with VWUKs' ordering system I had to have a new order number and that was on the 28/03.
I still haven't received a build week confirmation.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: GTI+ order date vs build week confirmation

Post by SRGTD »

I think it’ll be quite difficult to draw any logical conclusion over what the typical time period between order date and getting a confirmed build date is as there are various factors that can impact the build date;
  • Dealers accepting customer orders when they don’t have any spare allocated build slots. If some dealers do this (and I dare say they do, rather than loose a sale), then they have to ‘sit’ on the order as they can’t submit it to the factory until they’ve been allocated additional build slots in the next month or subsequent months
  • VW’s production process operates on the JIT (just in time) production model. Therefore, they won’t be holding a large stock of component parts for Polo production. Parts and components will be ordered in for each specific car - to be available on the production line ‘just in time’ for a specific car’s build. It won’t be until all of VW’s suppliers have confirmed they can supply the parts, and when they can be supplied, that VW will schedule the car to be built and provide a confirmed build week to the customer
  • I suspect the more comprehensive the spec of a car, the greater the number of component parts required to build it, or additional suppliers will need to used. It’s quite possible that a customer ordering a standard spec car with no options, say, 3-4 weeks later than someone ordering a highly specced car may get a confirmed build date before the customer ordering the highly specced car, because no special parts are required for the build. There have been supply chain issues in the past with DSG transmissions, xenon headlamps, certain designs of alloy wheels and reversing cameras for various models of car, which has caused delays in customers being given confirmed build dates
There are probably many additional factors that could impact a customer’s order being allocated a confirmed build date. Fair play to you for trying to get a better understanding of the lead times, but I don’t know if that’s possible. No harm in trying though.

Good luck!
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Post by barrywi »

Ordered ours on the 10 th February and have just been given a build start of Monday 28th May but do not have an order or tracking number yet.
alandbess
Bronze Member

Post by alandbess »

Tell me about it. Trying to find any logic is very difficult. I haven't loaded mine with options. I've gone for white with a black roof and winter pack... and I was told a 20 week lead time. Then all of a sudden it's 42 weeks.
I know I have the correct slot allocation from my retailer, and I really think VWUK are kept very much in the dark regarding information as to delays etc.
VW don't seem very transparent about their delays etc. I'm not saying they should publicise them, but to alleviate customer frustration, a straight answer would be nice.

alandbess
Bronze Member

Post by alandbess »

barrywi wrote:Ordered ours on the 10 th February and have just been given a build start of Monday 28th May but do not have an order or tracking number yet.
Thanks

johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

Ordered in January, tracking number a few days later, showing with the factory since February. As we know Im not alone. The model for building cars in this instance is bust. Friends can't believe I'm still waiting for the thing.
Unfortunately managers are probably still picking up fat salaries for utter incompetence.
Time to retool VW and start making washing machines instead!

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

johnpolo2 wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:15 am Ordered in January, tracking number a few days later, showing with the factory since February. As we know Im not alone. The model for building cars in this instance is bust. Friends can't believe I'm still waiting for the thing.
Unfortunately managers are probably still picking up fat salaries for utter incompetence.
Time to retool VW and start making washing machines instead!

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk
I do feel for you, my SEL ordered last week in Jan is still bobbing about off Portugal its due in Emden on the 15/16th May so I am betting in UK w/c 4th June I am not expecting dealer to be in touch until mid June, I then will have to complete the paperwork etc I assuming it will be weekend 23/24 June for car pickup soonest.

Out of interest I was told the actual build week about 6 weeks before the week in question. Then on the build week ( w/c 9th April) I discovered it takes about 10 days for the car to be build and get to the dockside, then you wait for the next ship. A ship sailed the day after I was told my car was built and in the docks. I assumed my car was on that ship. it turned out it was still in the docks and it was put on a ship a week later, it is this ship "Freedom Ace" that left Port Elizabeth on 25 April that will arrive in Emden (via Vigo Spain, Zeebruger Belgium). so build week to uk dealer could prove to be about 11-12 weeks in reality. I will let you know when I actually get the car.

5 effin months for a very standard SMALL family hatchback FFS stupid. It had better be worth it. again that the trouble now, VW taking so long are saving up customer complaints if the car goes wrong or turns out to be of a lesser quality than we hoped. Believe me if its not perfect after a 5 month wait and 21k, I am going to be a nightmare customer.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

Well said that man, 100% with you. To quote self: it should be apparent that I'm neither the most patient person (life really is too short) nor do I take grief from dealers (far too many bad experiences), but should I order a new Polo I sure as sugar won't be waiting 42 weeks for it. On enquiring I was initially told 16 weeks, or up to 20 weeks max. C'mon, a 42 week wait is absolutely ridiculous, maybe someone should call BBC Watchdog programme to look into long waits for delivery. If I do look long and hard at a Polo it and it's gonna be a 42 week wait (trust me it won't) then I'd prob hang fire for the new MK8 Golf, quoted due in June 2019. Or about the same length of time as a Polo :mrgreen: . If delivery doesn't improve reckon VW will lose Polo sales to Golfs or even another brand....
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

@stevereeves, judging by discussions on some of the other VW forums, current mk7.5 Golf waiting times are pretty good - 8 weeks in some instances for factory orders of Golf GTI’s.

If you do hang fire for a mk8 Golf, bear in mind the current Polo waiting times debacle might also be repeated with the mk8 Golf. When the mk7 Golf was first launched, it was similar to the current situation with the Polo with waiting times of 8+ months being the norm. Similarly with the Scirocco - I worked with someone who ordered a Scirocco shortly after its launch and they took delivery around a year after ordering!

Seems to be a common theme; VW launch a new model - long wait for customers.
alandbess
Bronze Member

Post by alandbess »

Have spoken to VWUK today and the GTI+ is now at a e2 week lead time

alandbess
Bronze Member

Post by alandbess »

32 weeks. Correction to previous post

jdunstone16
New
Drives: VW Polo Beats 2018

Post by jdunstone16 »

Unfortunately it's not just the GTI+ anymore, most model variants seem to be affected badly. I ordered the Polo Beats DSG back in Early Feb and still do not have a build week. VW not knowing what's happening either :(
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Post by barrywi »

Maybe VW should have built their Polo factory in the UK instead of thousands of miles away from their markets. Knowing how corrupt South Africa is, maybe a key VW official was paid a Mint of a bribe to locate down there. ( See what I did there?)
Going to see my dealer next week to try and clarify the situation. They should rename their production system to "Never on time" instead of "Just in time" .
alandbess
Bronze Member

Post by alandbess »

jdunstone16 wrote:Unfortunately it's not just the GTI+ anymore, most model variants seem to be affected badly. I ordered the Polo Beats DSG back in Early Feb and still do not have a build week. VW not knowing what's happening either :(
Do you know what the lead time is on your particular model variant?

alandbess
Bronze Member

Post by alandbess »

barrywi wrote:Maybe VW should have built their Polo factory in the UK instead of thousands of miles away from their markets. Knowing how corrupt South Africa is, maybe a key VW official was paid a Mint of a bribe to locate down there. ( See what I did there?)
Going to see my dealer next week to try and clarify the situation. They should rename their production system to "Never on time" instead of "Just in time" .
Was it to do with the capacity at the Spanish plant? Aren't they building the T-Roc there and that's why South Africa got the Polo (plus South Africa always built the 5 door Polo)