GTI+ order date vs build week confirmation

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Re: GTI+ order date vs build week confirmation

Post by Leif »

Apparently in February almost 3,000 Polos old and new were registered in SA, and about 6,200 were exported. Almost 3,000 were registered in the UK in April 2018, so clearly supply is restricted. Did they underestimate demand?
jdunstone16
New
Drives: VW Polo Beats 2018

Post by jdunstone16 »

alandbess wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:14 pm
jdunstone16 wrote:Unfortunately it's not just the GTI+ anymore, most model variants seem to be affected badly. I ordered the Polo Beats DSG back in Early Feb and still do not have a build week. VW not knowing what's happening either :(
Do you know what the lead time is on your particular model variant?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
I was told 16 weeks but coming up to that now with still ok build week
alandbess
Bronze Member
Drives: Scirocco

Post by alandbess »

jdunstone16 wrote:
alandbess wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:14 pm
jdunstone16 wrote:Unfortunately it's not just the GTI+ anymore, most model variants seem to be affected badly. I ordered the Polo Beats DSG back in Early Feb and still do not have a build week. VW not knowing what's happening either :(
Do you know what the lead time is on your particular model variant?

I was told 16 weeks but coming up to that now with still ok build week
All seems very strange. From what I was being told it was a minimum of 20 weeks for delivery for even the most basic model.

I've actually emailed the CEO of VWUK just to air my frustrations with the while buying process. What should be an exciting time seems to become stressful (taken that from the email I've sent)

SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Leif wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:27 pm Apparently in February almost 3,000 Polos old and new were registered in SA, and about 6,200 were exported. Almost 3,000 were registered in the UK in April 2018, so clearly supply is restricted. Did they underestimate demand?
If they have underestimated demand, so they’re not geared up to produce enough vehicles (and I suspect that’s one of the main factors contributing to the delays) then that’s pretty poor of VW.

The largest car maker in the world will have masses of data from previous new car launches, and this data, along with the computer projection modelling techniques they’ll be using should mean they can predict fairly accurately the expected sales volumes and the number of cars they need to produce from a new model launch. Therefore, IMO no excuses for VW getting it wrong to any significant degree, as they seem to have done.
alandbess wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 7:37 pm I've actually emailed the CEO of VWUK just to air my frustrations with the while buying process. What should be an exciting time seems to become stressful (taken that from the email I've sent)

Will be interesting to see if you get a reply. Keep us posted!
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

SRGTD wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 2:56 pm @stevereeves, judging by discussions on some of the other VW forums, current mk7.5 Golf waiting times are pretty good - 8 weeks in some instances for factory orders of Golf GTI’s.

If you do hang fire for a mk8 Golf, bear in mind the current Polo waiting times debacle might also be repeated with the mk8 Golf. When the mk7 Golf was first launched, it was similar to the current situation with the Polo with waiting times of 8+ months being the norm. Similarly with the Scirocco - I worked with someone who ordered a Scirocco shortly after its launch and they took delivery around a year after ordering!

Seems to be a common theme; VW launch a new model - long wait for customers.
Was, and still am, mostly thinking aloud, I'm not over fussed either way may: order a new Polo, hang fire til Mk8 Golf is launched next year, or just keep long-term my Mk7 Golf which I am perfectly happy with. To clairify, the 'new current Golf' Mk7.5 is pretty much identical to my own save for bigger touch screen, I know I've tried one, so no real trade up for me personally. My prevous Golf, also a MK7, was delivered within the promised 12 weeks in 2013, it was so rare that folk would ask me if indeed it was a Golf, was it a special import, etc. I accept that any new car can be slow hitting the streets, but circa 42 weeks for a small hatchback isn't on, waiting times should decrease as production catches up but maybe VW shouldn't take orders for cars they cannot supply within not much short of a year, reckon they would hack off less folk that way....
brainbow
Bronze Member
Drives: 72 Plate Facelift GTI

Post by brainbow »

Hi. My first post.

Ordered my R-line 115 mid Jan. Limestone Grey. Standard but with Climate Control.
Think it looks great.

Mike Sel, mines on the same boat as yours. The ‘Freedom Ace’. Hopefully it will be quicker than in the 20’s of June to dealer. Suppose it will depend on how long it sits at Emdon. Originally when I ordered it had an end March delivery date. Problem I had was my old car was on a deal and went back to ford at end March. I thought I might have a week or two to manage without my own car but it’s been a challenge waiting this long!

Anyway. At least the ship gets to Vigo in just over 24 hours, which means it’s on the same continent at least!

I’m sure it will be worth it in the end......
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

SRGTD wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 8:05 pm If they have underestimated demand, so they’re not geared up to produce enough vehicles (and I suspect that’s one of the main factors contributing to the delays) then that’s pretty poor of VW.

The largest car maker in the world will have masses of data from previous new car launches, and this data, along with the computer projection modelling techniques they’ll be using should mean they can predict fairly accurately the expected sales volumes and the number of cars they need to produce from a new model launch. Therefore, IMO no excuses for VW getting it wrong to any significant degree, as they seem to have done.
Computer models are only as good as the inputs. Poop in, poop out, as the saying goes. Sales will depend on factors outside of the control of VW such as the competition. The main competing models include the Ford Fiesta and the Mazda 2. They must have anticipated sales on a par with the previous Polo. My view is that it is more like a Ford Focus than a Ford Fiesta.
Kittycat
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 R Line

Post by Kittycat »

brainbow wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 9:34 pm Hi. My first post.

Ordered my R-line 115 mid Jan. Limestone Grey. Standard but with Climate Control.
Think it looks great.

Mike Sel, mines on the same boat as yours. The ‘Freedom Ace’. Hopefully it will be quicker than in the 20’s of June to dealer. Suppose it will depend on how long it sits at Emdon. Originally when I ordered it had an end March delivery date. Problem I had was my old car was on a deal and went back to ford at end March. I thought I might have a week or two to manage without my own car but it’s been a challenge waiting this long!

Anyway. At least the ship gets to Vigo in just over 24 hours, which means it’s on the same continent at least!

Basically ordered the same car and colour :D apart from mine is a 95 with a winter pack and bonnieville wheels
Ordered mid April with a delivery of September
The more I read on here I’m wondering if it’s more a Christmas delivery I’ll be getting 😳
Dealer is 100miles away so I might have to ask them to take it down if it’s going to go over time.
Thing that annoys me is VW are not very quick updating that app, hubby is also not happy he has ordered the UP GTI with a 45 week lead time. Might be here by this time next year
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

Think it looks great.

Ho shipmate lol. Yes you may get yours quicker. I would have thought late May early June. I'm told the dealer sales person that sold me the car is on leave early June for 2 weeks. so I'm having to wait until he gets back. To be honest late June is really only about 10 weeks away from waiting for the 68 plate. given how long I have waited so far is another 10 weeks going to kill me? Probably not, but I am concerned that IF I leave the first SEL the dealer has seen (with digital cockpit) there for 9 weeks I wont have a car left to purchase (I suspect they will use it as a show car). my guess is in the 2 - 3 weeks they will have it while the sales guy is away they will use it as a showroom car, I hope not but suspect they may. I will be inspecting it very closely for signs of wear, little scratches (inside around the door cill or door handles or little scratches on the inside, that we all pass off as manufacture damage.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

mike sel wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 5:21 am

Think it looks great.

Ho shipmate lol. Yes you may get yours quicker. I would have thought late May early June. I'm told the dealer sales person that sold me the car is on leave early June for 2 weeks. so I'm having to wait until he gets back. To be honest late June is really only about 10 weeks away from waiting for the 68 plate. given how long I have waited so far is another 10 weeks going to kill me? Probably not, but I am concerned that IF I leave the first SEL the dealer has seen (with digital cockpit) there for 9 weeks I wont have a car left to purchase (I suspect they will use it as a show car). my guess is in the 2 - 3 weeks they will have it while the sales guy is away they will use it as a showroom car, I hope not but suspect they may. I will be inspecting it very closely for signs of wear, little scratches (inside around the door cill or door handles or little scratches on the inside, that we all pass off as manufacture damage.
Is a 68 reg plate that important Mike? I took delivery of previous car (mk6 Golf GTD) mid-July, so just 6 weeks before the reg plate change. I’d waited 8 months for it, so didn’t want to wait any longer, plus, I had the remainder of the summer to enjoy it in.

As for using your car as a showroom car; I’d be making it very clear to the dealer that it should not, under any circumstances, be used as a showroom car! The last thing you’d want is for ‘Joe Public’ and their kids to be crawling all over it, with the risk of scratched paint or damaged interior. IMO the least amount of time my car is left on the dealer’s premises, the better, to minimise the risk of damage. I’d also stipulate that if it’s stored outside (hopefully the dealer has some storage facility that’s under cover), then you don’t want the protective factory covers removed and the car prepared for you to collect until 1-2 days before pick-up day - minimises the risk of bird droppings which, if left, will etch into the paintwork.
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Post by barrywi »

I went mad and bought a private plate from DVLA for my ( her indoors') GTI. Impossible to find a GTI plate at sensible money so found VW 14 JAN ,as her name is Janet. Could have had a 18 plate VW18JAN for more but this one is more appropriate. It also means the closeness to delivery to the 68 plate does not matter. The dealer said spec changes were more important to trade in anyway. You only get 6 months max of having the latest plate to impress the neighbours and luckily we have no neighbours being rural. Hope the kids do not mind us spending their inheritance( we are 71 and 69) though the money would only end up in the hands of a care home so soddit , we are spending!
TurboTrev
Getting There!
Drives: Golf CS

Post by TurboTrev »

^^^^ PO10 JNT (Polo Janet) available for £250. 8) And back on track, we ordered at the beginning of April and it's showing as unconfirmed build week 36.
Last edited by TurboTrev on Wed May 09, 2018 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Could be read as polo joint??
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Also the VW bit of the number means we arent stuck with a Polo , not that we have one anyway yet!!
TurboTrev
Getting There!
Drives: Golf CS

Post by TurboTrev »

barrywi wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 12:39 pm Could be read as polo joint??
True, PO10 JAN is not available.