VW app taking the p**s!

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Seanhendryyy
New
Drives: R-Line - 2018

Re: VW app taking the p**s!

Post by Seanhendryyy »

To be honest, I wouldn’t really trust the app, my app still thinks my car has only just arrived in the UK but it is currently sitting on my drive at home
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

VW’s tracker is notorious for being slow to update and miss stages out completely. It also usually gets the confirmed build week wrong by a week. The tracker is only of value to customers if it’s kept up to date by VW. Otherwise it’s a case of rubbish (or no information) in and rubbish out.

Probably better to contact VW customer services or use live chat to get progress updates on a car’s build status. And sometimes VWCS will be as much in the dark over what’s happening as the customer!
Swanee
New
Drives: 2018 GTi+

Post by Swanee »

You have to admit, for a giant company dealing with info on many thousand pound items that is pretty bad!
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Swanee wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 8:48 pm You have to admit, for a giant company dealing with info on many thousand pound items that is pretty bad!
I agree, if you want to appear to be up to date with how you inform your customers, you really do need to see making timely updates of car tracker as being a very important task for your customers and your "name" in the market place, VW Group are either being arrogant, ignorant, incompetant or widely out of touch with what they claim to be doing.
mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

Seanhendryyy wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 6:14 pm To be honest, I wouldn’t really trust the app, my app still thinks my car has only just arrived in the UK but it is currently sitting on my drive at home
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: that is funny. I am collecting mine today, and my app still reads arrived in UK. I have found the app to be running about a week behind. Its OK as a general tool but its not a super reliable bit of info. to be honest the only way I have been able to get reliable info on the progress or not of my Polo is through the online chat system VW have.
brainbow
Bronze Member
Drives: 72 Plate Facelift GTI

Post by brainbow »

The app is all over the place. I’ve found the most reliable place for info is the Online Chat from the VW website.

For example the app said build week confirmed still a week after my alleged build week. Then in 24 hours jumped past build to in transit.

It arrived in the UK last night, confirmed by the online chat, but no change to the app to “in the U.K.”

It’s not great really!
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Some members are quoting 5 - 6 weeks shipping others 12 weeks? Even if it's the 5 - 6 weeks and the amount of people employed and the shipping costs, how much do Polo's cost VW to manufacture in the first place?
As for getting the app? Smart phones and me don't mix, I can text my Grand kids and that's about it. One of the Grand kids set that up for me. I have an old Nokia 6633 that Noah gave me once he found dry land, when texting if you want "b" you have to press the "1" key twice.
When my Daughter gave me one of her old smart phones about 2 years ago, I went to Tesco and purchased a PAYG sim card and put £20 on it, two years down the road, I still have £11.00 left !!! That's how much I use it,
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Seems the primary purpose of the tracker / app is to frustrate customers who’ve ordered and are experiencing the long wait. It’s slow to update, often gets the confirmed build week wrong by a week, and misses out some stages in the build process completely. Fairly common for customers cars to be at the dealers ready for collection, and the tracker is still showing ‘in transit’ (stage 5 of 7).

IMO, better to either contact VWCS or use live chat. I’ve found they’re not perfect by any means, but are more likely to have more up to date information than is available via the tracker / app.
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

Dunno why you want the cost to manufacture a Polo. However, there is the basic costs covering materials, labour and overheads such as electricity and land rent if any. Oh, and overheads associated with marketing, which are often quite large. Then there are the development, training and tooling up costs. Those will be large but will be paid off over the lifetime of this model. Lastly there are overheads associated with the warranty, and customer support. So it’s not an easy question to answer.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

silverhairs wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:49 am Some members are quoting 5 - 6 weeks shipping others 12 weeks? Even if it's the 5 - 6 weeks and the amount of people employed and the shipping costs, how much do Polo's cost VW to manufacture in the first place?
As for getting the app? Smart phones and me don't mix, I can text my Grand kids and that's about it. One of the Grand kids set that up for me. I have an old Nokia 6633 that Noah gave me once he found dry land, when texting if you want "b" you have to press the "1" key twice.
When my Daughter gave me one of her old smart phones about 2 years ago, I went to Tesco and purchased a PAYG sim card and put £20 on it, two years down the road, I still have £11.00 left !!! That's how much I use it,
I'd think round about £85.67 for the bits and a couple of quid for overheads, they only build RHD Polos in cheap places.

Smart phone, completely essential nowadays, even for grand parents so that they can stay in contact with their grand kids when they move abroad (where the future lies), also essential to avoid you needing to take a trip into your local VW dealer every other week to get silly fault codes read - so you need to add some form of scan tool to your list of must haves, maybe Carista as it is easy to use, give good coverage to all smart modules in VW Group(and others) cars, and with the app on your "used" iPhone plus an OBD2 dongle you good to go - to other places than your local VW dealer.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

I don't find my smart phone even essential, once I have text my Grand kids, I turn it off and put it back in the cupboard till I need it again, which could be a month or more down the road. If the Grand kids want to contact me, they use the land line. I watched TV this morning and the two presenters had their smart phones locked away for about an hour, and how pleased they were to get them back. When you walk down a high street all you see are people looking at their phones and not even looking where their going or with them next to their ear.

I don't do face book, Twitter or anything like that.
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

silverhairs wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:54 pm I don't find my smart phone even essential, once I have text my Grand kids, I turn it off and put it back in the cupboard till I need it again, which could be a month or more down the road. If the Grand kids want to contact me, they use the land line. I watched TV this morning and the two presenters had their smart phones locked away for about an hour, and how pleased they were to get them back. When you walk down a high street all you see are people looking at their phones and not even looking where their going or with them next to their ear.

:D
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

silverhairs wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:54 pm I don't find my smart phone even essential, once I have text my Grand kids, I turn it off and put it back in the cupboard till I need it again, which could be a month or more down the road. If the Grand kids want to contact me, they use the land line. I watched TV this morning and the two presenters had their smart phones locked away for about an hour, and how pleased they were to get them back. When you walk down a high street all you see are people looking at their phones and not even looking where their going or with them next to their ear.

Not sure what Twitter is, but I have no choice but to use Fakebook as various groups I belong to use it as the means to spread information such as meeting times. Basically it's 'free'. But it's vile. I do despair when I see people on the ice at the local rink using their phones.

I originally bought a smart phone for music, and I have all of my CD collection on it. Plug it in to my Polo and I can listen to lovely music while driving. Bliss.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

To me that picture says it all. Don't get me started on mobile phones or TwitBook, as I WILL fill the forum. And no-one wants that :mrgreen: .
Ok: what do you call a smashed smartphone ? A good start :D .

What do you call a pile of smashed smartphones ? An excellent mornings work :lol: .

I've witnessd many people miss sporting events, concerts, etc, they have paid to see as they were staring at their phone apprently 'filming', only for it not to come out for some reason so they ended up missing it. Dumb. Seriously, moblie phones & gossip media (you can prob add computers too) are all well and good to pass on important or interesting info but not "here is what I'm having for dinner" & "well I ate my dinner...", etc. That said the marketting of these things is literally brilliant; people happily spend £100's on such devices with the content so apparently rivetting they will gleefully arrange their own funeral 30, 40 or even 50 years early in order not to take their eyes off the screen while crossing roads, cycling, etc.

Back on topic (finally), I've found the VW app to be mostly just for amusement as it often doesn't update for days them jumsp 2 or 3 stages at once. In other words the car ferries people track with much anticipation, appear to cross oceans in a matter of hours. Actually I'd pay to see that. :shock: ....
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

stevereeves wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:42 pm Back on topic (finally), I've found the VW app to be mostly just for amusement as it often doesn't update for days them jumsp 2 or 3 stages at once. In other words the car ferries people track with much anticipation, appear to cross oceans in a matter of hours.
^Exactly this. See my earlier 2 posts in this thread. IMO it’s better to disregard the tracker, unless you want to be continually frustrated, kept in the dark or left wondering.

I don’t think the tracker existed in 2011 when I was waiting for my mk6 Golf. My salesman used to give me fortnightly updates, irrespective of whether or not there was anything to tell me, and this form of communication updates was so much better than the tracker.

IMO, much better to use VWCS, live chat or the dealer for updates than a hopelessly ineffective tracker app.