Tyres

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
TElwoody
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo 2018

Re: Tyres

Post by TElwoody »

According to the ratings the best overall 185/65/r15 tyres are some Dunlop ones i found heres a link https://www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/search/d ... e/t1003396
JohnF
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 Polo SE 95

Post by JohnF »

According to Kwikfit:-

Exterior Noise

Exterior noise levels are measured in decibels (dB) and shown as one, two or three sound waves on the EU tyre label. The EU tyre label only measures the external rolling noise of the tyre which is not related to the in-cabin noise that the driver will experience.

So where do I get figures for inside the car?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

JohnF wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:33 pm According to Kwikfit:-

Exterior Noise

Exterior noise levels are measured in decibels (dB) and shown as one, two or three sound waves on the EU tyre label. The EU tyre label only measures the external rolling noise of the tyre which is not related to the in-cabin noise that the driver will experience.

I doubt there are any figures for inside the car. A particular brand of tyre when fitted to one make of car may appear quieter or noisier from inside the cabin than when fitted to a different make of car, due to factors such as the amount of sound insulation manufacturers build into their cars. With this in mind, for tyre manufacturers to publish in-car noise levels, they’d need to publish different in-car noise level figures for each car on the market that a particular tyre is designed to fit. With all the possible permutations of car make and model and tyres on the market, it would be both very time consuming and very expensive!

I’d suggest that when you’re looking for new tyres, it’s always worth looking at customer reviews on websites such as tyrereviews.co.uk. Based on the customer feedback, the reviews are likely to give you a good idea of in-car noise levels, as well as other useful information such as grip levels, wear rates, feedback etc.
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

JohnF wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:33 pm According to Kwikfit:-

Exterior Noise

As explained above, you don’t. Even the external values are questionable. The amount of noise reflected from the car must influence the result, and the car weight. The latter probably makes a good difference. The braking values are nonsense too. I had Kumho kh27 tyres on my VW Up. Useless to the point of being dangerous. No transverse grip in the wet. The tyre label ignores transverse grip. Independent tests by magazines are about the only reliable source. I don’t trust user reviews, when people talk knowingly about a tyre having more grip, and less noise, it’s too subjective for me. But if lots of people say the same, and people who for some reason drive a lot of cars, such as car journalists, I listen.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 9:22 pm My biggest concern with tyre choice that VW makes for new car is poor performance. I've had 7 VWs and 1 Audi from new, and they've come on a variety of rubber. I've only had tramping and turn-in grip issues with Bridgestones.
I see that the first wave of GTI+ demonstrators are being advertised in the used car section of VW’s website. From the photos of the cars, it looks like the default tyres for the GTI / GTI+ are currently Bridgestone Turanza on the optional 18” Brescia alloys, and Michelin Primacy on the standard 17” Parker alloys.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

SRGTD wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:05 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 9:22 pm My biggest concern with tyre choice that VW makes for new car is poor performance. I've had 7 VWs and 1 Audi from new, and they've come on a variety of rubber. I've only had tramping and turn-in grip issues with Bridgestones.
I see that the first wave of GTI+ demonstrators are being advertised in the used car section of VW’s website. From the photos of the cars, it looks like the default tyres for the GTI / GTI+ are currently Bridgestone Turanza on the optional 18” Brescia alloys, and Michelin Primacy on the standard 17” Parker alloys.
I'd better hope that they ran out of Turanzas in BW22! Or that they're better than Potenzas for grip and traction. Seems an odd move for VW to put touring tyres on the Polo GTI (in either size wheel) instead of something that is perceived as a performance tyre on the only hot Polo. Looking around - at retail, 215/40 R18s are markedly more expensive (almost 40% more) than 225/40 R18. Considering that both the optional 18" Brescias on the Polo GTI and the 18" Parkers standard on the Golf GTI are 7.5J x 18, i'm assuming that the 225s would fit on the Brescias, hopefully that extra 10mm tyre width (5mm each side) wouldn't cause any wheel arch clearance issues and could give some protective lippage to those diamond cut wheels.

If I do find that I have Turanzas and that they are awful, i'd rather be buying £108 225/40 R18 Michelin PS4s than £146 215/40 R18 PS4s.
Spud273
New
Drives: 2019 Polo GTi+

Post by Spud273 »

Hi all,

New here but I’ve been reading many posts with people commenting on tyres to fit and so on and so forth and I would like to make a few suggestions as to which tyres to fit for the GTi’s

Michelin Pilot Sport of any variant are outstanding if a little pricey.

Continental sport contact 5/6’s are a reasonable performance tyre but sometimes struggling under hard driving.

Pirelli’s similar to the Continentals but even more expensive.

Dunlop’s are a bit hit and miss in inclement conditions, nor do the have a overly brilliant wear life.

Birdgestone’s as other people have stated they’re pretty poor,

For a more track forcused tyre Avon and Yokohama make some good road going track tyre struggle in the wet which is expected.
JMiddo94
New
Drives: 2019 GTI

Post by JMiddo94 »

Had my first puncture today, a broken off piece of Stanley blade, heard it hissing when I parked up at work this morning so must have hit it short before entering the carpark 🤬 maybe an omen, not a fan of tyre repairs so probably a good time to replace my front two with Michelins!
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

JMiddo94 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:03 pm Had my first puncture today, a broken off piece of Stanley blade, heard it hissing when I parked up at work this morning so must have hit it short before entering the carpark 🤬 maybe an omen, not a fan of tyre repairs so probably a good time to replace my front two with Michelins!
If you mean Crossclimate, ATS Euromaster are doing £25 off if you fit two.
Always seems to be some sort of offer on with Crossclimates, I got a free Amazon Echo and money off.
Haven't had much snow to test that aspect of them, they seem 'fine' on everything else.
Turn in is a bit sloppy, all a bit vague, but it's been a while since I've had a car with small wheels and high-profile tyres, so it may be unfair criticism of the Michelins and just something I'd have to suffer with any tyre on this car.
I only had the standard Falkens on for 76 miles so can't even remember what they were like.

EDIT, just noticed it's a GTI you have, so won't be Crossclimates you're going for.