Does the SE trim have Footwell lighting like the ibiza has?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
TElwoody
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo 2018

Does the SE trim have Footwell lighting like the ibiza has?

Post by TElwoody »

Also, does anyone with a bleow SEL car know if LED light package adds lighting and LED interior lights?
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Re: Does the SE trim have Footwell lighting like the ibiza has?

Post by Leif »

The SE does not have footwell lighting.
TElwoody
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo 2018

Post by TElwoody »

Leif wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 4:30 pm The SE does not have footwell lighting.
Hmm, the Ibiza SE i had last year in December did, it had the LED lights, do you think that it is fittied as part of that option? You'd have thought the more expensive and luxurious polo would.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Unfortunately your logic is not correct, SEAT will often fit "different" parts as standard to certain levels of their cars, really as their customer base is different to VW and so expects/asks/needs differing "bits" as standard.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

If VW is considered to be a slightly more premium brand than Seat, it doesn’t mean that the VW model will get the same or more equipment as standard compared to the equivalent Seat model. As RUM4MO says, customer demographics of the brands will be different, so the standard spec for each brand will also be different, and will be aligned to the known or perceived needs and wants of the customer base for each brand.

If you compare VW and Audi, you will tend to find that model for model, the Audi is more expensive than the VW but is likely to have less standard equipment than the VW, and the options are also likely to cost more. Customer perception is that an Audi is a more premium product than a VW, so they are prepared to pay more for less.
TElwoody wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 6:13 pm Hmm, the Ibiza SE i had last year in December did, it had the LED lights, do you think that it is fittied as part of that option?
The Ibiza extra cost LED headlamp option includes the following;

– Full front LED lights
- Rear LED lights
– LED license plate
– Interior ambient lighting

So yes, it seems that the optional LED headlamps adds the interior ambient lighting on the Ibiza (but the LED headlamp option on the Polo doesn’t add this).
Last edited by SRGTD on Sun May 13, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

SEAT models (and prob Skodas) tend to include a few features as standard which would only be included on 'the next model up' in the VW range, or as part of an additional pack. VW's tend to be more expensive overall than SEATs, when comparing like for like, but are of higher qulaity. As with anything, whether the extra cost is worth it is up to the potential purchaser....
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

I had a look at the Audi A1 as that was an alternative to the Polo. At first it looked very plush, but on closer inspection it really came down to little more than a couple of aluminium knobs on the hifi or air con. I prefer the dashboard layout of the Polo to the Ibiza and the exterior is much nicer styled IMO. Reviews say the Polo feels better inside, but I don’t know if that’s true. So much is subjective.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I am sure that it varies person to person, but for me, when I put together a group of "must haves" + "would like to haves" + "would make use of's" - then apply that to a SEAT Ibiza, VW Polo and A1, I have always come out with the Ibiza(before extras cheapest) being the most expensive and the A1 being the cheapest.

So why do I pick VW over Audi, well two issues, the A1 is slightly wider than the Polo as is the Ibiza, so slightly tighter in a double garage with a bigger car along side it, plus as a second car, general shortish distance runabout, that car would end up taking on board some heavier rougher tasks like trips to the dump - and that would strip residual cash value off an A1 quicker than it would a Polo.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Leif wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 7:40 pm I had a look at the Audi A1 as that was an alternative to the Polo. At first it looked very plush, but on closer inspection it really came down to little more than a couple of aluminium knobs on the hifi or air con. I prefer the dashboard layout of the Polo to the Ibiza and the exterior is much nicer styled IMO. Reviews say the Polo feels better inside, but I don’t know if that’s true. So much is subjective.
And the current Audi is due to be replaced by an all new model, using the MQB AO platform, towards the end of this year, so given the choice between the current (smaller) A1 and the Polo, I’d have gone for the Polo too.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/audi/a1/96 ... pictures#0

I think much of the quality differences between Audi and VW is perceived quality rather than actual quality differences; a few extra aluminium trim pieces here and there on the A1, and a four ring Audi badge, and many are swayed by the premium image and happy to pay the premium price for a slightly sharper-suited Audi A1 over the equivalent model Polo, when essentially under the skin, the new A1 and the Polo will be the same car. Having said that, I do quite like the look of the new A1 in the pictures at the link I’ve posted above, but I dare say that - model for model - it’ll cost quite a bit more than the Polo.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Looking at those linked pics, I think the Polo looks better. Can we assume that the new A1 will also be 5 doors only too? The current A1 looks far better as a 3 door than the 5 door Sportback, whereas the Polo and the Golf don't really suffer much in the looks department for going 5 doors instead of 3 vs their A1/A3 stablemates - probably due to the elongation of the Sportback form, putting the car's proportions a little out.

I tried to tempt the wife into a 5 door Polo GTI 1.8 almost 3 years ago, but she was insistent on a 3 door A1. Those new pics seem to show that the new A1 will lose its "cute" looks, which might pre-empt more men to buy one, but it doesn't look particularly nice to me.

As a current A1 owner, I can tell you that the A1's "premium" cabin is not a notch above the old Polo's, whereas the A3 is a (very small) notch above the Golf. No seat matching cloth on the A1's door cards, and hardish plastics on the lower end of the trim (below dash level) as you'd expect on the Polo. Apart from more chrome on the Audi knobs, i'd say the old Polo upper models are more plush than the current A1.

The A1 interior is nicer than most, and I do prefer the menu driven navigation that Audi employ rather than touchscreen that VW favour, as you will always end up where you want rather than accidentally pressing something else when you have a less than steady hand on the move - you're less likely to have your eyes off the road looking for what you want also. I think VW know the Audi navigational method is better, but for the sake of Diversity across the VAG range, they keep both systems on the go. The VW graphics in the head unit look far better than Audi's pop-up screen though.

One thing the Audi does have in its favour is stronger residuals. The Polo GTI/GTI+ anticipated residuals (based on quoted GFV) are impressive, but the rest of the range less so. I have been looking into what our A1 is worth now in private sale, Audi dealership used and to WBAC etc. It's just a 1.6TDI Sport, and bought for £18k with around £1100 extras and extended warranty to 5 years. Autotrader recommend selling it right now for £10600 (£13000 dealership price based on mileage), which doesn't account for the extras and warranty - got to be worth £11200 with those taken into account. I'd imagine a similar mid-range Polo would be holding around 35-38% of RRP, as opposed to 58% after 3 years.

The Audi will be noticeably more money to same spec as the Polo, but you might get more of it back, or reduce your monthlies based on residuals. There was a situation where the 2.0TDI 150 GT Golf cost a fiver more a month than the GTD, because of residuals, despite RRP being almost £3k more.

Dieselgate has seen VW looking to reduce costs and scrimp in areas where they think people won't notice (cowlings and coverings under the bonnet, under the boot floor etc., as seen recently on the Golf) - maybe Audi will resist doing that so they retain that "premium" feel. We've seen it on the new Polo on things like roof-lining grab handles (who even uses those, except a mate of mine that insists in whatever car he's in as a passenger, however it is driven, his arm blocking half the view out of the passenger window - annoys the hell out of me), and the T-Roc having hideously cheap looking dash and door cards.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

Yes I saw the new A1 sneak piccies. No doubt it will be roomier than the old one. Certainly Audi has a prestige image, and the cars are nicely styled, but I happen to think the new Polo is a looker. Most journalists seem to think it is dull looking.

One thing I disliked about the A1 was the tendency to shoe it with big wheels and elastic band like tyres, ensuring a hard ride.

I’m not convinced a Polo only holds ~38% of its value after 3 years. Just looked at 2015 DasWelt Polo and they are pricey!
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Leif: I'm considering residuals (and my calculations) as what I would see selling the car privately or giving it back in p/x, not the used sticker price at the dealership, with the dealers 15-20% margin built in.

Used dealership prices are what keeps me buying new - you can get 12-15% discount on most VWs and the performance models have better residuals than the rest of the range, although with the Audis, the lower models have similarly good residuals (%) when compared to the S models. If I was not buying a GTI/GTI+ and had no huge preference on looks of the new Polo vs the new A1 (when it is out), i'd probably be buying the A1 on the strength of the residuals if I was PCPing (dearer car for lower monthlies).
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

I checked What Car magazine today while at the dentists and VW Polo and Audi A1 have the same residuals according to them. The Up has a fair bit less, although I was surprised by what I got for my 6 year old Up. However, these are estimates.

Had the new A1 been available, I might have gone for one, assuming a bit more stylish interior, as it would be as spacious as the new Polo. I like the big boot.