Factory closure

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Re: Factory closure

Post by Leif »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 2:53 pm Seems odd that this is all news to the dealership.
It does suggest an unplanned and unforeseen screw up.
jdunstone16
New
Drives: VW Polo Beats 2018

Post by jdunstone16 »

I've actually just cancelled my factory order due to the fact that VW managed to source me a new Polo Beats with near-enough the same spec
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

http://budget-accommodation-port-elizab ... age-plant/

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

mike sel
Silver Member
Drives: SEL

Post by mike sel »

johnpolo2 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 6:15 am http://budget-accommodation-port-elizab ... age-plant/

Pleased my car is built and in Emden. Just waiting for it to arrive UK side.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

That suggests they don’t even know when the factory will reopen. :shock:
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

johnpolo2 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 6:15 am http://budget-accommodation-port-elizab ... age-plant/

My car arrived in the UK today an SEL 115 DSG digi dash POLO. they say 2 weeks to the dealer. when it gets to the dealer how long to contact me register etc?
alandbess
Bronze Member
Drives: Scirocco

Post by alandbess »

I've had confirmation from the Executive Office - Customer Relations Manager (after my email to VWUK's CEO) that Uitenhage (the South African Plant) is in fact closing for 2 months. If you haven't already had a build week confirmed then the likelihood is that your vehicle will not be in the UK until at least October maybe even November....
The reason seem vague, to do with legislation (WLTP I assume) and issues around production and model year changes (at week 23)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Dan34
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Post by Dan34 »

Ok, so i've just had the following from my dealer:

"So the factory doesn't officially close until week 24 however as we confirm polo orders 8 weeks in advance we know anything that hasn't scheduled now will do upon re-opening.

Order ******** will build in week 22 as scheduled and should move as the normal process"

So looks like good news for us that have had build weeks confirmed and locked in.
Kittycat
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 R Line

Post by Kittycat »

Jason989 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 12:31 pm I had the same information yesterday from VW live chat... I ordered in mid February, was told delivery in late May, then late June, now looking at mid December. I'm also considering cancelling my order - it's an absolute p*** take!

:? WOW
I ordered mine in April and was told September
:lol: that’s obviously not going to happen as VW also told me they are closed till August :evil: and no way can you catch up with thousands of orders including mine, build it and ship it to the Uk in under 5 weeks
I to am extremely upset and disappointed as I ordered in good enough time but don’t want to waste time as I know VW can’t deliver on time.
I have an appointment tomorrow to go up to Audi however not sure if I can afford an Audi yet :cry:
So in a bit of a devil and the deep blue sea situation
Volkswagen shouldn’t be taking anymore orders if there is such an extended wait time.
Jason989
New
Drives: MK10

Post by Jason989 »

Kittycat wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:41 pm
Jason989 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 12:31 pm I had the same information yesterday from VW live chat... I ordered in mid February, was told delivery in late May, then late June, now looking at mid December. I'm also considering cancelling my order - it's an absolute p*** take!

:lol: that’s obviously not going to happen as VW also told me they are closed till August :evil: and no way can you catch up with thousands of orders including mine, build it and ship it to the Uk in under 5 weeks
I to am extremely upset and disappointed as I ordered in good enough time but don’t want to waste time as I know VW can’t deliver on time.
I have an appointment tomorrow to go up to Audi however not sure if I can afford an Audi yet :cry:
Volkswagen shouldn’t be taking anymore orders if there is such an extended wait time.

Yeah, it's very frustrating. With the factory closure and other issues I've had with Volkswagen, I've decided to cancel my order.
mike sel
Silver Member

Post by mike sel »

Jason989 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 11:03 pm
Kittycat wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:41 pm

Yeah, it's very frustrating. With the factory closure and other issues I've had with Volkswagen, I've decided to cancel my order.
[/quot

totally get that, so would I. I was considering taking a short trip into my Audi dealer to look at the Q2. price and size not too different to the Polo (I get the Q2 is a bit taller and about 150mm longer but that's about it in terms of size difference). Price, my friend just got one on an 18 plate off the shelf in a week!! and it was mid range , 1.5 Evo and sport cost him 24k. my polo is 21k so not a million miles away (my polo is specked up with every option except LEDs and sunroof), and for what you get 3k is no lot of difference. yes he is missing some spec, both are autos and his has the evo engine in it, so its a toss up which I would rather have.

I went for the POLO cause its not as long or high and I like VWs (the T-roc was not for me and the golf too long).
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Kittycat wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:41 pm :? WOW
Trouble with buying an Audi is the fianl cost when loading it up with bits you would like, especially as you are buying an Audi, buying a low spec Audi is not too good as it will be very undesirable at trade in time, also, if it is just an A1 you are buying it is little more than a Polo with slightly better clothes. This comment is not coming from someone that can't justify or afford an Audi, I own an Audi S4, which in all fairness is just a kick in the bottom away from being an A4 with better bits, though in this case it is better engine/gearbox, suspension and brakes. My wife would have liked an Audi A1 but I reckoned that for a second car that would get to do all the horrid jobs while my car sleeps in the garage, it made more sense to get a Polo SEL.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

RUM4MO wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 10:23 am Trouble with buying an Audi is the fianl cost when loading it up with bits you would like, especially as you are buying an Audi, buying a low spec Audi is not too good as it will be very undesirable at trade in time, also, if it is just an A1 you are buying it is little more than a Polo with slightly better clothes.
Except it is the previous Polo with some new clothes on. And it has less interior space than the old Polo as the clothes are tighter. You do get a few nice shiny metallic knobs on the dashboard, but not much more IMO. And don't forget the 'infotainment' system is more primitive than the 2018 Polo's.
RUM4MO wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 10:23 am This comment is not coming from someone that can't justify or afford an Audi, I own an Audi S4, which in all fairness is just a kick in the bottom away from being an A4 with better bits, though in this case it is better engine/gearbox, suspension and brakes. My wife would have liked an Audi A1 but I reckoned that for a second car that would get to do all the horrid jobs while my car sleeps in the garage, it made more sense to get a Polo SEL.
I might have gone for the new Auto A1 had it been available, but it's not even been officially announced so goodness knows how long before you can get your mitts on one. I'm sure you'll pay over the odds compared to the 2018 Polo, but that's Audi for you.
BadgerBadger
New
Drives: Polo GTI + 2018

Post by BadgerBadger »

Just been given this lovely bit of information, "that would be correct, (ref my initial 20 week build time estimate) however, as the factory has been closed until August, it will be a 20+ week lead time from then which will be around December"

To top it all off I think my dealer is avoiding my calls.
Kittycat
Getting There!
Drives: 2018 R Line

Post by Kittycat »

I looked at a A1 & A3 today but I am putting my payments up a good bit
I spoke to vw today who suggested that my dealer should have been aware of factory closure and that the September collection was not possible, they have said the dealer has a duty to loan me a car until mine is ready
He is calling back tomorrow and from there I will be calling dealer.
I also think that with all this stress and inconvenience they could chuck in a few things to sweeten the delay
Few free services
:wink: