Factory closure

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
George2702
New
Drives: Polo GTI+ DSG 2018

Factory closure

Post by George2702 »

Hi all,

Got a polo gti + with extras on order, just thought i'd share with you what i found out yesterday from speaking to vw on the live chat ...

The factory is shut right now till the 6th of august, due to new model year changes, with the next batch of polos coming to the uk in october. My order hasn't been accepted from the factory so it would be accepted when they start back up, meaning my original delivery of the 1st of september, is now estimated for mid december because the 39 week lead time will apply from whenever the factory accepts the order. i'm going to cancel my order today due to this hellish wait.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: Factory closure

Post by monkeyhanger »

That is a hell of a long time to be closed for a MY change . They must be making massive modifications to the production lines, unless a critical component maker has let them down in supply (which should affect other models and manufacturing sites, with so many shared components between the models).

So what will you get instead if you're cancelling?
jdunstone16
New
Drives: VW Polo Beats 2018

Post by jdunstone16 »

Yeah I am impacted by this as well and extremely irritated due to the fact my car was supposed to be here for July. Debating cancellation at this point!
kerby
New
Drives: SE

Post by kerby »

I'm sorry to hear you're going through this. I feel like VW should give some form of compensation for such a dramatic change on their end.

I know what it is like. Last year in early June I ordered a Seat Leon with an expected lead time of 12-14 weeks. I was told, even on the paper work I received, that I would receive it in late August or early September. I waited patiently and mid September I received a call from Seat. I'll emphasis that this was the first and only call I received from Seat since placing the order. Rather than the discussion I was expected about picking the car up it was to let me know there was some logistic problems, the factory closed over for retooling, and I had a provisional build week in November with an expected delivery in January next year.

The four month wait from an order in June with expected delivery in September (4 months) instead turned into a order in June, being informed 4 months later of further delays, and a real expected delivery in January, 8 months later.

If I had known it would have been 8 months at the point of ordering I'd have gone elsewhere. Instead I went ahead under false expectations and wasted almost four months waiting. Seat didn't care at all and wouldn't give any compentsation; not even the car paint protection or car mats.

In the end it took three phone calls and a formal letter to cancel, and even a bit of a protest to get my deposit back. I'll never touch Seat again.

It's a shame people ordering Polos are going through the same ordeal. You'd think a purchase of this amount of money would offer a better customer service.
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

My belief is that no car maker would shut down a factory for so long unless there was a very serious issue to address. There is an issue with a rear seat belt, but I would not have thought that would cause a shut down. My guess is they found a serious safety issue, or they are having problems conforming to upcoming EU regulations such as emissions.
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 8:20 am
So what will you get instead if you're cancelling?
The new Audi A1 will be announced this Summer, according to various sources. However, there may well be a long wait for delivery ...
Jason989
New
Drives: MK10

Post by Jason989 »

I had the same information yesterday from VW live chat... I ordered in mid February, was told delivery in late May, then late June, now looking at mid December. I'm also considering cancelling my order - it's an absolute p*** take!
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Leif wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 12:04 pm My belief is that no car maker would shut down a factory for so long unless there was a very serious issue to address. There is an issue with a rear seat belt, but I would not have thought that would cause a shut down. My guess is they found a serious safety issue, or they are having problems conforming to upcoming EU regulations such as emissions.
@Leif; I agree. It must be costing VW millions. If it was a serious safety issue, then presumably it’s likely it would affect all - or a high proportion - of cars already built and VW would’ve issued some form of safety recall notice. My money would go on either issues with a key supplier, or more probably problems conforming to the new WLTP emissions testing. One of the YouTube videos I watched a few months ago also mentioned the addition of particulate filters being introduced on petrol engined cars on the Polo, so maybe VW are also modifying the current production and build process to incorporate these new petrol particulate filters during the factory shutdown.

We can only guess.........
George2702
New
Drives: Polo GTI+ DSG 2018

Post by George2702 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 8:20 am So what will you get instead if you're cancelling?
I was always torn between the polo and the new fiesta st, so might see what kind of deal i can get on an st-3. Otherwise it'll be a used car or wait next year for more cars ...
Dan34
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Post by Dan34 »

Might cancel and buy a near new i30N at this rate, can get them close to 23k now!

I've emailed my dealer to see whats going on.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

George2702 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 1:16 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 8:20 am So what will you get instead if you're cancelling?
I was always torn between the polo and the new fiesta st, so might see what kind of deal i can get on an st-3. Otherwise it'll be a used car or wait next year for more cars ...
I’m sure the new Fiesta ST will be a great car, and will drive and handle well, and be a good seller for Ford. I don’t think it would be for me though.

I think Ford have done quite a good job of making the interior look more premium, although the acid test would be to sit in one and see what it feels like. I really don’t like the iPad style infotainment screen though, which looks like Ford forgot to fit one and just stuck it to the dash at the last minute as an afterthought. Not keen on the exterior styling either - but then I wasn’t keen on the styling of the outgoing model; IMO the front end styling reminds me of a fish with a large gaping mouth and the rear end looks like a mini MPV.

it’s good we don’t all like the same things though, otherwise life would be boring. It’ll be interesting to see what the waiting times are like between ordering and taking delivery.........
Dan34
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Post by Dan34 »

Exact quote from my dealer:

"We are awaiting clarification on this. We found out on Monday and emailed the sales support team in the UK who are in turn trying to get answers from the factory in South Africa. Your car is still showing its confirmed for build but we have also been told the factory is closed until week commencing August 6th. As soon as we hear back, I will clarify for you."
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

SRGTD wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 1:46 pm . I really don’t like the iPad style infotainment screen though, which looks like Ford forgot to fit one and just stuck it to the dash at the last minute as an afterthought. Not keen on the exterior styling either - but then I wasn’t keen on the styling of the outgoing model; IMO the front end styling reminds me of a fish with a large gaping mouth and the rear end looks like a mini MPV.
Exactly what I thought, think the screen looks pretty naff, but car not bad overall. Still prefer the Polo, time will tell....
Leif
Silver Member

Post by Leif »

SRGTD wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 1:46 pm
George2702 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 1:16 pm
I’m sure the new Fiesta ST will be a great car, and will drive and handle well, and be a good seller for Ford. I don’t think it would be for me though.

I think Ford have done quite a good job of making the interior look more premium, although the acid test would be to sit in one and see what it feels like. I really don’t like the iPad style infotainment screen though, which looks like Ford forgot to fit one and just stuck it to the dash at the last minute as an afterthought. Not keen on the exterior styling either - but then I wasn’t keen on the styling of the outgoing model; IMO the front end styling reminds me of a fish with a large gaping mouth and the rear end looks like a mini MPV.

it’s good we don’t all like the same things though, otherwise life would be boring. It’ll be interesting to see what the waiting times are like between ordering and taking delivery.........
Completely agree with your Fiesta comments. To me it looks like a grandad car, old fashioned styling cf Rover 200. It's also nowhere near as spacious as the Polo/Ibiza.

Given the delays, one option is to find a model already in the UK that is close enough. There are lots of standard spec SE 95 about, or at least there were ...
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Due to the sudden nature and long length of closure, i'd have to wonder whether there's been a fire or serious accident/major HSE audit failing. Seems odd that this is all news to the dealership.

In other news, the missus saw that someone on online chat with VW asked about manual box on the GTI and were told that it should be available to order from September.