Dashpad choices

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Dashpad choices

Post by monkeyhanger »

Hi all, After jumping on an order in the system for a Polo GTI+ that is a few weeks away from being built, I realised yesterday that I didn't know what colour dashpads I would be getting.

I placed an order with a stipulation for Deep Iron pads, then got offered the one with a confirmed BW. The dashpad conversation never came up.

Dealership was going to find out for me when I rang yesterday, but in the meantime I was on a live chat with VW UK, who have confirmed velvet red pads (They didn't seem too sure of themselves, they said I had Flash Red pads initially, to match the exterior).

Just wondering how red velvet red is, if anyone has seen one in the flesh.

Are these pads removable/interchangeable?

Not sure if Velvet Red will be a bit too in your face for me.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Dashpad choices

Post by SRGTD »

Anyone who’s taken delivery of a Polo Beats will have the velvet red dash pads as that’s the only option with the Beats model.

Forum member DaveNI1979 has one, and posted some pictures of the interior of his car - in the post at the link below;

https://uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=71179

I think it’s little difficult to tell what these dash pads would look like a GTI+ from the pictures of a Beats though, because of the Beats interior colour scheme. Lots of videos of the GTI with velvet red dash pads on YouTube, but it’s difficult to know if the videos give a true representation of the dash pad colour. I’d say it’s not as bright as Flash Red though, and the velvet red dash pads have a satin finish to them whereas the Deep Iron pads look to have a reflective gloss finish.

The Deep Iron dash pads are a selectable no cost option in the GTI+ (Other than with LImestone Grey paint, when the only option is velvet red), so if your car hasn’t got a confirmed build week yet, you could change them. You might not want to do that though with all the issues over waiting times, if changing the dash pad colour mean that your car’s build gets delayed. I dare say it would be possible to change the dash pads, provided it’s possible for the dealer to order replacement dash pad sets. Personally, I don’t know if I’d want a dealer to start tearing bits of trim out of a new car, with the risk of damaging the door cards and dashboard though.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Thanks for that. It may be that i'm used to staid grey VAG interiors, but not a fan of the whole 3 tone beats interior. Pics not completely clearing up my questions, but i'd guess it has the look of bright red anodised Aluminium (imagining the colour of Ironman's suit in the marvel films). Might go nicely with the Jacara red elements of the GTI cloth seats. Still unsure. Build week confirmed for first week of June (BW23?). I know that if I had the iron dash, I wouldn't with I had the red one, but I might regret having Velvet Red.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Just had a look on a few youtube videos of Flash Red/Brescias/velvet red dash and I think it works well - which surprises me. Not sure if the missus will like it or not (she's not keen on DSG, but has never driven one -she's very wary of the unknown, not even trusting hill-hold and always relying on the handbrake on her A1).

Nowt to worry about then, was worried i'd have to cancel my order because i'd dislike it so much.
loadswine
New
Drives: Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Post by loadswine »

Personally, I think the red is a good choice. I wavered on this myself, first opting for red, then iron, then back to red, as I wanted something to brighten the interior. This is all subjective though, which is why we have the choice. :wink:
TurboTrev
Getting There!
Drives: Golf CS

Post by TurboTrev »

Barnetts have just got a red GTI in with a red dash: https://www.facebook.com/BarnettsVolkswagen
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

TurboTrev wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:09 pm Barnetts have just got a red GTI in with a red dash: https://www.facebook.com/BarnettsVolkswagen
You certainly cannot say that is not red.

I like the red dash, but the red paint is too in your face for my tastes.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Having a different coloured dash pad is a personal preference, I've ordered my Polo in Metallic - Energetic Orange and gone for the orange dash pads, which I've seen on many You-Tube clips, I think it lifts the dash, but there again that's what the Mrs and I like, if you look the colour goes around and on to the door trim, also the orange trims the outside of the gear selector area.