GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Re: GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Post by roywolfey »

SRGTD wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:08 pm
Cadwest wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:35 am Has anybody bothered with mud flaps, I have them on my current car but it’s more to keep tar spots off the door more than anything else?
You may find that VW won’t make mud flaps for the GTI (they didn’t for the previous generation Polo GTI).

Because the GTI has still extensions and a different design rear bumper to the rest of the Polo range, the standard VW mud flaps for the Polo won’t fit.
Both front and rear mud flaps are shown on the configurator for the GTI. That’s not to say they’ll fit. :lol:
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

alandbess wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:05 pm When I have remapped all my cars, the guys who did it (Revo) recommended to only use higher octane fuel. Not sure if it's something to do with how the mapping works though

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Yes it will be because these remapped cars will be optimised for use with UL+ and in extreme cases, start pinking if you used UL - or at least not develop the remap's quoted power output.
All new main stream cars being placed on sale in Europe must be able to run on 94/95 petrol.
alandbess
Bronze Member
Drives: Scirocco

Post by alandbess »

RUM4MO wrote:
alandbess wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:05 pm When I have remapped all my cars, the guys who did it (Revo) recommended to only use higher octane fuel. Not sure if it's something to do with how the mapping works though

Yes it will be because these remapped cars will be optimised for use with UL+ and in extreme cases, start pinking if you used UL - or at least not develop the remap's quoted power output.
All new main stream cars being placed on sale in Europe must be able to run on 94/95 petrol.
If I HAVE to use normal unleaded, my car feels extremely sluggish...

RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

joeknight94 wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:27 am I was past the running in software stage but the difference was rather dramatic after filling up with V Power I thought I’d share my experience. The fuel is different from Tesco 99 as that is 5% ethanol so I’ve read anyway. I’ll be using V Power now as a result of the change definitely! [emoji106]
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've said this before, but I'll say it yet one more time, my wife's previous 2002 9N Polo 1.4 16V 75PS was almost acceptable to drive when filled up with Shell UL+, initially I tried using that fuel to reduce the tendancy for it to pink which was probably due to the oil seperator allowing too much oil to get passed into the inlet manifold, even after replacing that and finding that the oil usage dropped back to next to nothing, I could still notice the improvement that Shell UL+ made, so much so that if I stopped filling it with that, my wife would have got very annoyed. So moving from her using a really sluggish old car that managed maybe 40MPG and needed UL+, to a new Polo 1.2TSI 110PS that moves well, manages 55MPG and is happy on UL has really made life a lot better.

I also am lucky enough to have a Costco local to me which now has a fuel station, though I had missed the point that the difference between UL and UL+ was only 5pence!!

Edit:- I mainly fill my Audi S4 up with UL+ as it is only used now and again, so the increased costs are negligible, it seems to improve its MPG but I can't comment on its output power as that is always quite adequate.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

alandbess wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:25 pm If I HAVE to use normal unleaded, my car feels extremely sluggish...

What I found with the old 2002 Polo was that using UL+ tended to improve low end grunt, which for a normally sluggish engine was great, there was never ever any improvement in MPG, possible even a slight drop in MPG.

With my wife's current car, an August 2015 1.2TSI 110PS, I needed to fill it up with Tesco UL as that is our local fuel station as we were in a rush, during the usage of that tank of fuel, for the first time,I ended up causing that car to "stumble" when either moving off at a roundabout or when accelerating after almost stopping at a roundabout, as I had trusted that car in the past, that incompetent use/control of that car confused me, then I remembered that I was using Tesco UL for the first time in that car, I immediately brimed that car with Costco UL+ and that solved that problem, so I'll intend to avoid Tesco in future - you know the old "once bitten twice shy" saying.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

roywolfey wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:20 pm
SRGTD wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:08 pm
Cadwest wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:35 am Has anybody bothered with mud flaps, I have them on my current car but it’s more to keep tar spots off the door more than anything else?
You may find that VW won’t make mud flaps for the GTI (they didn’t for the previous generation Polo GTI).

Because the GTI has still extensions and a different design rear bumper to the rest of the Polo range, the standard VW mud flaps for the Polo won’t fit.
Both front and rear mud flaps are shown on the configurator for the GTI. That’s not to say they’ll fit. :lol:
Yes, they are listed.

The first section of the options in the configurator (the ‘accessories’ section) is a generic list of Polo accessories and the same list is generated, irrespective of which Polo model you are configuring. Some of the accessories listed won’t be appropriate for some Polo models as the standard spec already includes them - e.g. the GTI wouldn’t need app connect, floor mats or door sill trims as they’re part of the standard spec, but these items still appear in the accessories list when you configure a GTI. So, the fact that mud flaps are listed won’t necessarily mean they’re available. You may be able to make the standard mud flaps fit the GTI, but they’d require modifying by cutting out a section on the front pair for the sill extension to fit into (fronts) and the rear pair to accommodate the end of the lower black plastic lip on the rear bumper, but IMO it’s just not worth the hassle.

I had mud flaps on pretty much all my previous cars, but don’t have them on my current car 2016 Polo GTI because VW don’t make them. In all honesty, I can’t say I’ve noticed my car gets any dirtier without mud flaps compared to previous cars that had them, and the sides of the car and sills have remained free of stone chips. I may have picked up a few more tar spots, but they can easily be removed with one of the many tar removal products available on the market.
WillWord
Getting There!
Drives: SEL 1.00 TSI 115 DSG

Post by WillWord »

Mandywoo61 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:11 pm Hi guys, I took delivery of my GTI+ last week and loving it! However, the wing mirrors have stopped folding in after a couple of days. Am I doing something wrong when locking - feel I may have messed up the locking programme by forgetting its keyless and using the fob☹️ Love the sound in sport mode!
It's possible you have not got your mirror control knob in the L position.
jbGTI
New
Drives: GTI

Post by jbGTI »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 8:35 pm VW tyre choices are a lottery. Just hope you don't get Bridgestone Potenza S001 or RE050A. Every time I get Bridgestones on a FWD VW, tramping is ridiculous, ruins the car - like making Usain Bolt run in wooden clogs. Damp grip is terrible too.

No tramping on the R, but turn in grip below 10C is very poor. I got the RE050As off the R pronto and got Michelin PSS, which transformed the car.

I'll be hugely disappointed if I get Bridgestones on my Brescias.

Ordered the 18s Brescias, looks like I'm getting Bridgestone Turanzas.
Velodyne1200
New
Drives: VW Polo GTI+

Post by Velodyne1200 »

2,000 miles clocked up and loving my car. The car is now well run in and hasn't disappointed. When commuting to work, the fuel economy has been great - getting around 43mpg. On one occasion I did my whole commute in eco mode - a 36 mile trip and managed to get an indicated 50 mpg. (I'm not keen with the coasting in eco mode) so probably won't be using this setting too often, just my personal preference.
I've been filling the tank up at Costco every 4 days & using 99RON every fourth fill - just because it is so cheap :D when driving the car quickly the economy isn't too bad either. I'm loving the cars pull in second & third gear.
I'm guessing most people don't buy GTI's for their economy, but I've more than impressed.
Where the car really excels for me is its handling. Really good levels of grip - that puts the fun back in driving.
I'm looking forward to hearing from other GTI/GTI+ owners.
Hopefully, there will be more on the road soon :D
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Velodyne1200 wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:00 pm 2,000 miles clocked up and loving my car. The car is now well run in and hasn't disappointed. When commuting to work, the fuel economy has been great - getting around 43mpg. On one occasion I did my whole commute in eco mode - a 36 mile trip and managed to get an indicated 50 mpg. (I'm not keen with the coasting in eco mode) so probably won't be using this setting too often, just my personal preference.
I've been filling the tank up at Costco every 4 days & using 99RON every fourth fill - just because it is so cheap :D when driving the car quickly the economy isn't too bad either. I'm loving the cars pull in second & third gear.
I'm guessing most people don't buy GTI's for their economy, but I've more than impressed.
Where the car really excels for me is its handling. Really good levels of grip - that puts the fun back in driving.
Glad you’re enjoying it. I’d imagine you have some good driving roads up in Scotland that add to the driving experience.

As you say, most people don’t buy GTI’s for their economy, but good fuel consumption is an added bonus. On the reasonably congested A roads I drive on most of the time, I consistently see 44-45 mpg in my previous generation GTI; that’s when there’s no option but to just go with the flow of the traffic at a fairly leisurely pace.

As you’ve had your GTI+ for a few weeks now and they seem to be a great all round car, I’d be interested to hear if there are any aspects of it that you don’t like, or you feel could be better (I usually find there are one or two when I get a new car).
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

Velodyne1200 wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:00 pm 2,000 miles clocked up and loving my car. The car is now well run in and hasn't disappointed. When commuting to work, the fuel economy has been great - getting around 43mpg. On one occasion I did my whole commute in eco mode - a 36 mile trip and managed to get an indicated 50 mpg. (I'm not keen with the coasting in eco mode) so probably won't be using this setting too often, just my personal preference.
Thanks for sharing. :)
90% of my miles will be commuting / motorway miles so economy was a factor for me. I will probably give eco mode a go too, but wonder if it may hinder the ability to have on tap driving enjoyment. ACC and blind spot warning hopefully also paying dividends on my 20k / Year mostly motorway miles.
Fuel savings should be significant as I’m currently rolling a EOS 3.2 V6 which averages 27mpg!
Intrigued by the choice of fuel. I haven’t really looked in to it but is there a general consensus that higher octane rating fuel will be of benefit for the Polo GTI I wonder??
Good to hear about the handling and grip. Are you on Brescias and Bridgestones?
Velodyne1200
New

Post by Velodyne1200 »

SRGTD wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:42 pm
Glad you’re enjoying it. I’d imagine you have some good driving roads up in Scotland that add to the driving experience.

As you say, most people don’t buy GTI’s for their economy, but good fuel consumption is an added bonus. On the reasonably congested A roads I drive on most of the time, I consistently see 44-45 mpg in my previous generation GTI; that’s when there’s no option but to just go with the flow of the traffic at a fairly leisurely pace.

As you’ve had your GTI+ for a few weeks now and they seem to be a great all round car, I’d be interested to hear if there are any aspects of it that you don’t like, or you feel could be better (I usually find there are one or two when I get a new car).
Like other drivers with their new Polo's - there is a gremlin with the ACC - when driving in traffic the anti-collision alert likes to flash up on the dash when you wouldn't expect it too.
I've also noticed there is a little bit of sideways movement on the brake pedal. This may be normal on Polo's with DSG if someone else could confirm.
Other than that - nothing to really report.
Now back to driving in sunny Scotland (Its to be 30 degrees today) :D
Velodyne1200
New

Post by Velodyne1200 »

roywolfey wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:48 pm
Thanks for sharing. :)
90% of my miles will be commuting / motorway miles so economy was a factor for me. I will probably give eco mode a go too, but wonder if it may hinder the ability to have on tap driving enjoyment. ACC and blind spot warning hopefully also paying dividends on my 20k / Year mostly motorway miles.
Fuel savings should be significant as I’m currently rolling a EOS 3.2 V6 which averages 27mpg!
Intrigued by the choice of fuel. I haven’t really looked in to it but is there a general consensus that higher octane rating fuel will be of benefit for the Polo GTI I wonder??
Good to hear about the handling and grip. Are you on Brescias and Bridgestones?
I personally don't notice a difference in performance between 95 & 99 RON. I'm only using it on every fourth fill for the extra additives and because it is relatively cheap at Costco.
My car has the 17's with Micheline Primacy 3 tyres.
Nice car - by the way - the V6 sounds great :D :D
Norn Iron
New
Drives: GTI 2018

Post by Norn Iron »

Greetings fro Northern Ireland.
Firstly, thanks for all the posts on here regarding the purchasing and delivery of the GTI. I was a lurker and found the information of great benefit. Now I'm an ex-lurker!
We picked up our GTI on Saturday. What a painful experience VW gave us this time around regarding the building,shipping,delivery dates! I'm having therapy now as a former VW App user. It's everything the other thread says about it only worse! The Car Net app is very good however, At least we now have the car having ordered it in week 1 of January.
The handling is just superb and it is everything I wanted it to be especially as there wasn't a demo car available.
Today, I drove 10 miles with a four mile stretch of open road (60mph). The rest is set at 30mph. The average mpg is only 33. Our previous Tiguan 2 litre Diesel would do about 42 mpg on the same stretch. Hopefully, once we have achieved the magic 620 miles, we'll see a better performance.
If you order the bog standard headlamps, be aware that you do NOT get the red line in the housing. VW is not very clear about this within their blurb or photos. However, it still looks great with the red line just on the grille.
I am also having to get used to a non-manual car. On our first day, I shifted the DSG a few times into what I thought was second gear when approaching a crossroads!
I've also noticed that you can no longer coast in neutral as the gearbox won't allow it. Is there a way around this? (I'm just asking for a friend so that he can play his game of seeing how far he can get on a certain stretch of road. Of course, I would never do this!)
I need to read the manual, because the sales team and I can't find Launch Control as ably demonstrated on Youtube. Maybe it is only for the GTI+?
We'll be taking it for a long drive in the next few days, so i'll report back on the mpg.
paulrodgers7
Getting There!
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi + White/black roof

Post by paulrodgers7 »

Hi Norn Iron, great to hear from a local getting their hands on a GTi, I am a long long long way off getting my hands on mine but I too find this forum incredibly helpful and knowledgeable.

I hope you’ll be posting some pics of your new toy for us all to enjoy [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk