GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
joeknight94
New
Drives: Polo GTI+ DSG

Re: GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Post by joeknight94 »

MattB911 wrote:To those who have got their Polo's can I ask if the GTI logo is on the key fob like the Golf GTI?
No mate but you can buy Golf GTI key tips and file them down to fit [emoji106][emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrLems
New
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by MrLems »

silverhairs wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:01 pm You've had your Polo 3 weeks now, and you have passed the 620 miles that's OK you think it's given you more power, and you are able to spin the wheels in 2nd gear. Don't you think your pushing the engine a little too much, it should still be running in, up to about 1000 miles.
Keep driving it like that and either your engine will start giving you problems, or your licence could be taken away.
I'm one more commute to work off 1000 miles - I'd consider the engine close to being run in. I always wait till the engine oil has reach optimal temperature before I even consider some fruitful driving. I'm not just flooring the car full throttle at every chance given. That's just dumb. In fact, I've barely used full throttle. Of the times I have, my observations were slight wheel spin, or more like temporary loss of traction. My guess is down to the tyres. I'd say 90% of the miles covered so far have been normal everyday varied driving, with remaining 10% exploring what the car can do. This car was bought to bring some joy to my life, and that's exactly what it has done.
MrLems
New

Post by MrLems »

paulrodgers7 wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:02 pm Good honest review MrLems, I enjoy reading the positive and negative comments that each owner has through their personal experience, looks great in the white.

Can I ask a question, I have never owned a car with a black roof liner inside, does it make the cabin feel darker than normal with the tinted rear windows?
My last car had a black roof liner and rear tinted windows, so probably not best placed to comment but I can't say I've ever thought the inside felt too dark. I think the red dash helps to bring some brightness.
MrLems
New

Post by MrLems »

monkyhanger

Regards wipers; I used Autoglym Fast Glass on the windscreen yesterday, and all wiper vibrations and juddering have gone. Could just be a fluke but today I could screen wash away with no problem at all.

Regards DSG; I find it slow to change gears in manual and have a mind of its own sometimes. It's not as responsive as I thought it would be. Tbh it's going to be in auto for most of it's life. Despite the lack of full control it has made the commute to work easier. Just not as engaging. Why it defaults back to D? I can't answer that yet.
Norn Iron
New
Drives: GTI 2018

Post by Norn Iron »

GTI is now 10 days old. We have done 400 miles in it. We have just returned from a two day break. I zeroed the info data button knowing I had about 40 miles to go. The route was mostly dual carriageway with a few roundabouts before petering out into the usual 30 mpg outer town road to home.
I drove at maximum national speed limit applicable. There was not too much traffic apart from a tractor holding us back on the single carriageway for a few miles, consequently speed dropped significantly.
My mpg for this journey was.....50 mpg. Photo attached. It can be done!
Attachments
My mpg!
My mpg!
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

After the long weeks of waiting, and tracking of shipping, I can now class myself as an ‘Owner’ :D

Just 30 Miles in and getting used to it but first impressions are positive. I like the fact that the engine restart on the start stop function is activated when the car in front moves away.

My commute is 20k per year motorway miles so ACC was a big plus for me and I’ve also specced the blind spot warning which works well. Just getting used to the ACC but reckon this is really going to be a great bit of tech for me. :)

Day 1 So far so good! 😁
Alan Mc
New
Drives: 2018 polo GTI+ Limestone grey

Post by Alan Mc »

Alan Mc wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:40 pm
joeknight94 wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:46 pm Mine won’t move, having that same fault, my car thinks the brake pedal isn’t engaged so won’t start, lost drive in reverse so sat here waiting for recovery.... [emoji17]

There must be a fault somewhere both our cars have the same problems by the sounds of it. My car will start but wouldn’t move and again the recovery guy comes and finds nothing wrong with it. I am waiting on vw to contact me to book the car in to be looked at. Recovery guy said it looks like there is a problem with the selector in the gearbox.
My car has gone in today to investigate the faults. Let’s hope they find out what’s wrong with it quick. They have given me a up as a curtesy car. IN BABY BLUE not amused it’s the most girly thing I have ever seen. The dealer has never seen the GTI in the flesh so I am expecting it to come back with quite a few added miles on it as they where very excited when we arrived. Will update on what they found when I have it back.
joeknight94
New
Drives: Polo GTI+ DSG

Post by joeknight94 »

Alan Mc wrote:
Alan Mc wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:40 pm
joeknight94 wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:46 pm Mine won’t move, having that same fault, my car thinks the brake pedal isn’t engaged so won’t start, lost drive in reverse so sat here waiting for recovery.... [emoji17]

There must be a fault somewhere both our cars have the same problems by the sounds of it. My car will start but wouldn’t move and again the recovery guy comes and finds nothing wrong with it. I am waiting on vw to contact me to book the car in to be looked at. Recovery guy said it looks like there is a problem with the selector in the gearbox.
My car has gone in today to investigate the faults. Let’s hope they find out what’s wrong with it quick. They have given me a up as a curtesy car. IN BABY BLUE not amused it’s the most girly thing I have ever seen. The dealer has never seen the GTI in the flesh so I am expecting it to come back with quite a few added miles on it as they where very excited when we arrived. Will update on what they found when I have it back.
The DSG plug had come loose on mine as it hadn’t been locked in position from factory, it’s under the airbox so could be worth checking that [emoji106]

silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Going back to "Roywolfey" about his stop/start, if the VW stop/start is like most manufacturers, once the brain of the car see's the drain on the battery has dropped by a small amount, while in a big traffic jam, the brain will disengage the stop/start and it will not work until the battery has had time to replenished and the alternator has topped battery volts up again. I've been on a few forums and members start worrying about the stop/start not working after a while.
So if this happens to you wait till your battery has topped it's self up, no need to panic, or take it back to the dealers
Alan Mc
New
Drives: 2018 polo GTI+ Limestone grey

Post by Alan Mc »

Got my car back today after 2 days in the shop. Turns out one of the two pins in the selector was not put in at the factory. This is why my car would refuse to move and go into park sometimes. Hopefully now the car will behave.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

silverhairs wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:53 pm Going back to "Roywolfey" about his stop/start, if the VW stop/start is like most manufacturers, once the brain of the car see's the drain on the battery has dropped by a small amount, while in a big traffic jam, the brain will disengage the stop/start and it will not work until the battery has had time to replenished and the alternator has topped battery volts up again. I've been on a few forums and members start worrying about the stop/start not working after a while.
So if this happens to you wait till your battery has topped it's self up, no need to panic, or take it back to the dealers
There are a few scenarios for which the stop-start won't work, one of which is battery condition.

The stop start won't work on a cold car, no matter how well charged the battery is - the car won't have you stopping and starting the engine when the engine is cold.

The stop-start won't work when there is a big demand on the battery - e.g. seat warmers and full complement of lights on in the winter, high demand from aircon (I usually put recycle on with the aircon - less demand on the system, rather than chucking freshly chilled air out of the back of the car to bring in warm air.

On TDIs, if the DPF is in the middle of a regen, it won't stop/start - that may be something post WLTP petrol car owners may see when GPFs get fitted.
TElwoody
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo 2018

Post by TElwoody »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:35 pm
silverhairs wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:53 pm Going back to "Roywolfey" about his stop/start, if the VW stop/start is like most manufacturers, once the brain of the car see's the drain on the battery has dropped by a small amount, while in a big traffic jam, the brain will disengage the stop/start and it will not work until the battery has had time to replenished and the alternator has topped battery volts up again. I've been on a few forums and members start worrying about the stop/start not working after a while.
There are a few scenarios for which the stop-start won't work, one of which is battery condition.

The stop start won't work on a cold car, no matter how well charged the battery is - the car won't have you stopping and starting the engine when the engine is cold.

The stop-start won't work when there is a big demand on the battery - e.g. seat warmers and full complement of lights on in the winter, high demand from aircon (I usually put recycle on with the aircon - less demand on the system, rather than chucking freshly chilled air out of the back of the car to bring in warm air.

On TDIs, if the DPF is in the middle of a regen, it won't stop/start - that may be something post WLTP petrol car owners may see when GPFs get fitted.
Petrol cars run at a much higher temperature so the GPFs shouldn't ever block up, even with shortish runs. In theory it'll never have to do a regen.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

TElwoody wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:26 pm
Petrol cars run at a much higher temperature so the GPFs shouldn't ever block up, even with shortish runs. In theory it'll never have to do a regen.
A common misconception - Diesels require higher pressure and internal temperatures than petrol engines to auto-ignite the fuel.

Like-for-like comparisons between petrol and diesel engines of similar displacement will see the diesel get around 40% more mpg, why is this? Does a litre of diesel have 40% more chemical energy than a litre of petrol? No, there's about 8% in it. The diesel engine is much more efficient at converting chemical energy into kinetic energy, wasting less of it as excess heat through the exhaust. The diesel fuel is compressed much further than petrol, before it finally auto-ignites under that pressure, to make a bigger bang and more kinetic energy. A simple analogy is this - Hold a banger in the palm of your hand and light it - you'll have a scorched hand. Hold that same banger in a closed fist and you'll be left with a bloody stump - all of that kinetic energy used at source.

The lower operating temperature of the petrol engine allows it to warm up quicker than an equivalent diesel engine, and the combustion cycle of the petrol engine is less reliant on reaching optimum temperature (the efficiency difference between a cold and a warm engine is a far smaller margin on the petrol engine than a diesel engine. So what happens to that chemical energy which is converted into a smaller amount of kinetic energy with a petrol engine? More of it is converted into heat which is wasted through the exhaust. In effect though, you will have a GPF that warms up quicker than a DPF to burn off those particulates.
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

After 406 miles of owning the GTi+ now I would say I am very happy with the car so far other than wiper judder being the main issue, hopefully get a new set to try this week and cure that.

Other thoughts, great exhaust note and although I liked it at first I have now turned the Soundaktor down to minimum as it is a bit of a drone after a while, at first I loved it but it does become very annoying in my opinion.

Stop/start is also something I liked at first but now turn off as soon as I remember to do so, it works just fine on a manual car but not so much in an automatic for me, constantly on/off, you can't predict when it will keep running or cut out, maybe reprogramming would help so it only cut out when handbrake is on and neutral/park is selected.

Fuel economy is ok, 28mpg on the last tank fill on "Normal" profile, going to try "Eco" profile on this fill to see if it changes for the better or not, I was expecting around 30mpg for my driving style.

DSG is good as always although I feel my Fabis vRS with the 7 speed version felt a little bit nicer to drive, can't put my finger on why but I think the ratios spread out over 7 gears made it a little less sporty and suitable for my style, maybe time will tell and I will be able to define why.

Other than that, a lovely car, lots of nice comments from friends and family and overall very happy with it :-)
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Just been out treating the seats to some G-Techniq upholstery stain repellent and was pleasantly surprised to see rear mats in the car. I didn't think they were standard spec.