GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Re: GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Post by roywolfey »

jylydesign wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:30 pm
jylydesign wrote:Well, well, once again I am sitting on the roadside waiting for breakdown assistance! 457 miles on the clock and 3rd time it had broken down. I think I have a dog and vw can put it where the sun don't shine.
Just accelerating away from standstill and suddenly jumps out of gear, total loss of power, 5 warning lights on, fuel gauge says zero although I have half a tank. I turned off now it won't turn on again. I wonder what my grounds are for rejecting the car?
Update from the dealer. Wiring from loom to gear selector had come loose causing the car to not know what gear it was in. But also the gear selector appears faulty and probably needs replacing.
Report sent to VW HQ awaiting their instructions. In any case the part is on backorder with no ETA and VW have extended my hire vehicle indefinitely!
A Friday afternoon job for sure.
As it is on PCH I have contacted the lease company who technically owns the vehicle and suggested they might like to reject the vehicle. Will see what happens.
That sucks. Less than 500 Miles in and three breakdowns you’ve had. I can see why you think it the proverbial Friday afternoon car... Hope it turns a corner but your confidence in the car must be at rock bottom at the moment. :(
andybarker27
New
Drives: Polo 2015 GT DSG

Post by andybarker27 »

Hoping to pick up my Polo 2018 GTi end of August. Hoping I won't be disappointed. Some of the breakdowns in this thread don't make good reading tbh. Lets hope I get a good en.
It's an ex demo car with 1300miles on it. Wasnt prepared to wait for 43weeks for a purpose built one.
Not sure exactly what toys are on the car. Does anyone know if my iPhone will link up all ok and show on the dash? Maybe use the Apple maps for NAV?
Any other good standard toys it comes with?
Robint
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 polo GTI

Post by Robint »

Apple play works fine,car is great to drive you won’t be disappointed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

andybarker27 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:08 pm Not sure exactly what toys are on the car. Does anyone know if my iPhone will link up all ok and show on the dash? Maybe use the Apple maps for NAV?
Any other good standard toys it comes with?
Enjoy your new car. :D
Yep, you can use Apple Maps for Nav and the word is that future versions of CarPlay will support third party navigation apps such as Waze. :D
peeceeuk
Bronze Member
Drives: Snazzy red GTi

Post by peeceeuk »

If it's the same as the Android app, it shows on the centre console display and not the dash display, only the VW nav displays amongst the dials in the dash, if that's your thinking.
My dealer said that Waze is an already supported app, I just don't use it so didn't get to try it.
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

Waze is already a compatible app on Android, I can't get it to work though, can't remember exactly what wouldn't work now but I'll give it a few weeks and try again. Anyone else use it ok?
Last edited by MilgeS on Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan34
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Post by Dan34 »

Apple Carplay only allows the use of Apple Maps currently. However when iOS12 comes out which will be within the next month or so Google Maps and Waze will be able to be used on Carplay.

Android Auto already allows the use of Google Maps and Waze.
joeknight94
New
Drives: Polo GTI+ DSG

Post by joeknight94 »

Looks like I may be saying goodbye to my Polo GTI after just under 3 months. Done just over 4500 miles and I have really enjoyed it for the most part. Few teething problems to begin with but the engine has now loosened up nicely and all the issues have been ironed out. Got someone coming to buy it tomorrow. My next one is on order but doesn’t look like that will be here for a while...[emoji30]

SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

joeknight94 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:59 pm Looks like I may be saying goodbye to my Polo GTI after just under 3 months. Done just over 4500 miles and I have really enjoyed it for the most part. Few teething problems to begin with but the engine has now loosened up nicely and all the issues have been ironed out. Got someone coming to buy it tomorrow. My next one is on order but doesn’t look like that will be here for a while...[emoji30]

Are you having another Polo GTI+ Joe?
joeknight94
New

Post by joeknight94 »

SRGTD wrote:
joeknight94 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:59 pm Looks like I may be saying goodbye to my Polo GTI after just under 3 months. Done just over 4500 miles and I have really enjoyed it for the most part. Few teething problems to begin with but the engine has now loosened up nicely and all the issues have been ironed out. Got someone coming to buy it tomorrow. My next one is on order but doesn’t look like that will be here for a while...[emoji30]

Yeah I’ve ordered another one but in Deep Black Pearl with red dash this time for a change with Blindspot monitoring on top of what I had before. Might swap the order to a manual when that comes available to see what that’s like. They don’t begin production again until 8th November (for DSG - manual 4 weeks ish after) so not going to see one until the new year. Not sure what I’ll be going into until then...[emoji29]

SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

joeknight94 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:16 pm
SRGTD wrote:

Yeah I’ve ordered another one but in Deep Black Pearl with red dash this time for a change with Blindspot monitoring on top of what I had before. Might swap the order to a manual when that comes available to see what that’s like. They don’t begin production again until 8th November (for DSG - manual 4 weeks ish after) so not going to see one until the new year. Not sure what I’ll be going into until then...[emoji29]

A Golf R would be nice 👍
joeknight94
New

Post by joeknight94 »

SRGTD wrote:
joeknight94 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:16 pm
SRGTD wrote: Are you having another Polo GTI+ Joe?

A Golf R would be nice [emoji106]
Not a chance (pecking order!) got my eye on a manual GTD, but there’s no stock about WLTP is killing new cars at the minute, everyone is waiting for cars, not just Polo GTI’s that are delayed! [emoji20]

joshwills
New
Drives: Polo R-line 115 Manual

Post by joshwills »

Ahh, you’re the guy off the volkswizard video. The GTI plus looked lovely in flash red.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

The MK7 GTDs are canny - I got one in 2013, the only issue I had with it was that the tramping was awful with the Bridgestone tyres it came with - but my Dad and a few mates got them too, coming on different rubber (Contisport 3, Pirelli P7 and Dunlop Sportmaxx not a bother). I chopped it in for a Golf R at 2.5 years old, but if i'd changed the tyres rather than the car i'd have stuck with it - they're a beast with a tuning box on - 500Nm of torque, no noticeable mpg penalty and 240ps. In a manual, the clutch is well up to a tuning box or remap (unlike the GTI and R, which are just enough". My Dad's 2013 GTD DSG is somewhere around 85k miles in now and still going strong (a DTUK tuning box was on it for the last 65k miles until very recently when VW pulled it in for a dieselgate recall/fix and the car won't run right with it on, so it is permanently off). Good for 62mpg on a long run maintaining 80mph on the motorway on a long journey in the Summer, with the aircon on.

Dieselgate demonised the TDIs, but in reality all cars are dirty. My GTD put out no soot, the DPF took care of that - exhaust tips were always spotlessly clean, unlike my R with sooty black tips (albeit finer particulates). So non GPF petrols are now worse for particulates (my Polo GTI+'s exhaust tips have a light sooty coating on them), the 1.0 3-pots work hotter and harder than the 1.4TSI and other 4 pots, putting out plenty of NOx that the larger displacement petrols don't - there's no escaping it - you either get soot or NOx with either fuel.

My local dealership (Lookers Newcastle) had a fully loaded GTD, Pearl Black, 19" Brescias, registered in May, but with only 85 miles on the clock for £23500, just a few weeks ago, looked great. Probably gone now.

Seriously considering chopping the R in for a Pearl Black manual GTI+ with Brescias next year, and the missus can take her pick which one of the 2 she wants to drive. Although noticeably slower, the Polo is a bit more fun and a lot sharper on the turns than my R feels.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

I have to agree with monkeyhanger. My last car was a gtd and I loved it. However thanks to the dieselgate and the government being somewhat idiotic and taxing the newer cleaner diesels rather than old cars, the value was dropping like a stone. I love my new t-roc but had the dieselgate issue not have happened, demonising diesel cars and driving the value in the car down I’d deffo still have my gtd and would’ve considered buying a new one!