GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Re: GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Post by roywolfey »

DNGmaestro wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:54 pm What do u guys call GTI plus ?

What's the difference between the GTI and the GTI plus?
ADDITIONAL ITEMS OF STANDARD EQUIPMENT: GTI+ (OVER GTI)

EXTERIOR
LED dipped and main beam headlights including separate LED daytime running lights and automatic range adjustment
Rear tinted glass from B-pillar backwards, approx. 65% tinted

INTERIOR
Dusk sensor, automatic driving lights
Front centre armrest, with storage compartment
Manual coming/automatic leaving home lighting function
Rain sensor and automatic dimming interior rear-view mirror

COMFORT AND CONVENIENCE
Electrically heated, adjustable and foldable door mirrors and reverse activated kerb-view adjustment on passenger’s side
Keyless entry with Start/Stop button on centre console

DRIVER’S ASSISTANCE
Active Info Display , 10.3" high resolution TFT dash display screen with customisable menus and information
Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC), including Front Assist, radar sensor controlled distance monitoring system, City emergency braking system, cruise control and speed limiter
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

richl123 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:59 pm For anyone wanting a badge upgrade

https://www.evo.co.uk/audi/a1-s-line/21 ... h-polo-gti

I need this just for the ambient lighting on the vents 1:54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aalTJs6As6I
I like the front and back end, but side on it looks like a 1st gen A3. Surprised the A1 didn't get better door cards than the Polo, and it seems to have pinched the facelift performance Golf's vents in the bottom corners of the front bumper.

Surprised Audi has ditched infotainment dial scroll and press selection for touch screen. Always preferred the wife's A1 infotainment selection over the touchscreen on the Golf R, but then again the Golf touch screen is massively clunky and unresponsive compared to the Poll's new gen screen - hope it doesn't get clumsy in the cold weather.

So Audi's GTI performance equivalent model ("40") is about 20% (£5k) dearer than the standard Polo GTI with similar equipment levels and much less interior character - I think that demonstrates how much more VAG will pay a German worker than a South African one.

If it's being built in Germany and not subject to performance allocation restrictions like the Polo GTI, you should get one a hell of a lot quicker than the Polo - especially with shipping being done and dusted in as little as a week if you catch an Emden ship quickly. Confirmation there that WLTP compliant Polos have GPFs coming their way.
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

Thought I'd post this review for anyone interested, it's from my monthly driving instructor magazine.
Attachments
20181126_202707.jpg
20181126_202646.jpg
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

grudgey wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:28 pm
roywolfey wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:50 pm
DNGmaestro wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:54 pm What do u guys call GTI plus ?

What's the difference between the GTI and the GTI plus?
ADDITIONAL ITEMS OF STANDARD EQUIPMENT: GTI+ (OVER GTI)

EXTERIOR
LED dipped and main beam headlights including separate LED daytime running lights and automatic range adjustment
Rear tinted glass from B-pillar backwards, approx. 65% tinted

INTERIOR
Dusk sensor, automatic driving lights
Front centre armrest, with storage compartment
Manual coming/automatic leaving home lighting function
Rain sensor and automatic dimming interior rear-view mirror

COMFORT AND CONVENIENCE
Electrically heated, adjustable and foldable door mirrors and reverse activated kerb-view adjustment on passenger’s side
Keyless entry with Start/Stop button on centre console

DRIVER’S ASSISTANCE
Active Info Display , 10.3" high resolution TFT dash display screen with customisable menus and information
Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC), including Front Assist, radar sensor controlled distance monitoring system, City emergency braking system, cruise control and speed limiter
I don't think my GTi + came with............reverse activated kerb-view adjustment on passenger’s side!!!

Are there country variations?

Grant
UK GTI / GTI+ should have reverse activated kerb side mirror. It won’t have been set up automatically to work - you will need to set it up before it’ll work. I had it on my previous VW (Golf GTD) and found it really useful. Unfortunately, my current car (a previous generation Polo GTI) doesn’t have it.

From memory, you activate it as follows;

1. Turn on ignition, but don't start the engine (i.e. you need to be in the ‘accessories’ setting, when the dashboard warning lights are illuminated).
2. Select reverse gear.
3. Select passenger side mirror (‘L’) on mirror control knob.
4. Adjust passenger side mirror so you can see the kerb and leave the mirror adjustment control knob set to ‘L’.
5. Take car out of reverse gear and return to neutral, or Park in DSG gearbox.
6. Turn off the ignition and the passener side mirror should return to the normal position it was in before you adjusted it to see the kerb, and the car should remember the dipped position you’ve set in step 4. above.

If you keep the mirror control set at the passenger side mirror (‘L’ for RHD cars), it’ll then always dip when you select reverse. If you’ve reversed and the n/s mirror is pointing down to the kerb, It’ll move back to the normal position when you move forward and you speed increases to (I think) 10mph.

Edit; I don’t know if the current Polo has a ‘reverse dip’ option in the vehicle settings menu, accessed via the infotainment screen. If it does, then this will also need to be ticked.

Edit #2: apologies, the GTI (non-plus) doesn’t have reverse activated kerbside mirror; it’s the R-Line and GTI+. It’s available as an extra cost option on all other models in the Polo range with the exception of the base model Polo S.
Last edited by SRGTD on Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robint
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 polo GTI

Post by Robint »

You are right in all counts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

grudgey wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:06 am HELP!!!!!

How do I get to the accessory mode (i.e. first stage of ignition).?
I have "keyless".

Please can anyone help me.

Grant
I don’t have keyless or DSG, but I think you just press the start button without putting your foot on the brake pedal.
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Post by barrywi »

grudgey wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:54 am WITHOUT STARTING A HUGE DEBATE ABOUT WHO'S IS BIGGER THAN WHO'S LOL :D

My GTi+ appears to be very poor economy. I never bought it for economy so that I am not too worried but the figures seem to be lower than many I have read in this thread.

In ECO mode on a long trip I have hit the magical 47mpg

In Sport and to fair shorter trips I manage low 20's

Around town and in Normal (with engine setting ECO) I am managing about 24 mpg

Any comments?

Oh and I am not heavy footed. I am 61 and drive reasonable cautiously.

Grant
Mine is about the same, 24 mpg short trips, 35 mixed running and 45 mpg on long runs though I have not done a decent long run for a while and the car is now more run in approaching 2000 miles. It is what I expected from a performance car , but not as good as my previous VW UP... I wonder why!!🤔
jylydesign
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+ on order

Post by jylydesign »

Makes a huge difference depending on length of trip and driving style. I have averaged 34 mpg over 5000 miles. My commute is 10 miles and I get around 30mpg but I also do longer trips on motorways which goes up to 40+

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

You have to put your driving style, commute length and other factors like traffic volume into context.

There'll be someone on here that'll tell you they always beat 45mpg in their GTI, but they won't say unless asked, that they have s 50 mile commute, always have it in eco and drive like a nun.

Then you'll get someone at the other extreme (You seem to be there) getting 25mpg. Do they drive in perpetual gridlock? Do they only have a 5 mile commute? Do they have a heavy right foot?

Around the doors, my Polo GTI+ is disappointing on mpg - the high gearing isn't suited to urban driving. It is pretty good on the motorway for longer journeys though.

Comparing my manual Golf R (130kg more weight, 4WD, 100hp more) to my DSG Polo GTI+, on the urban crawl, they are as economical as each other, the R is quicker to hit 30mpg from cold - the oil warms up twice as fast. Long motorway journeys maintaining 80mph are a different story - 34mpg in the R and 43mpg in the Polo with 4 people in it, the R is geared a hell of a lot lower than the Polo.

My 13 mile each way commute on mixed roads generally takes 30 mins there (giving 34mpg) and 40 mins back (giving 32mpg). The roads have been quiet the past few days as people are finishing for Christmas, so this morning was 37mpg.

I accelerate quite hard to get to my desired speed but am pretty economical once there and am good at readi g the road ahead to preserve momentum and minimise wasteful braking. Im averaging 34mpg and am at about 3400 miles.

DSG is about 10% thirstier than it's manual equivalent, regardless of the official figures.
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

grudgey wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:18 pm Gentlemen and Ladies. I apologise for asking so many questions. I could go back to my dealer but everyone here seems to know so much more than the lobotomised salesman.

Why after I set my car up in Individual Mode (steering Sports, Engine ECO, everything else Normal) and start off after a while the car automatically switches to Eco mode?

Similarly the car does seem to remember my last driving Mode. I use Individual and yet when I get in the car in the morning the Mode is Eco?

Have I set something up wrongly?

Grant
Mine is always set, and stays in individual mode, but seemingly did switch to Eco mode sporadically on my commute home tonight. I have no idea why! 🤔
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

grudgey wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:49 pm
roywolfey wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:34 pm
grudgey wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:18 pm Gentlemen and Ladies. I apologise for asking so many questions. I could go back to my dealer but everyone here seems to know so much more than the lobotomised salesman.

Why after I set my car up in Individual Mode (steering Sports, Engine ECO, everything else Normal) and start off after a while the car automatically switches to Eco mode?

Similarly the car does seem to remember my last driving Mode. I use Individual and yet when I get in the car in the morning the Mode is Eco?

Have I set something up wrongly?

Grant
Mine is always set, and stays in individual mode, but seemingly did switch to Eco mode sporadically on my commute home tonight. I have no idea why! 🤔
Glad it isn't just me then. It must be to do with some optimum engine mode or some such thing. Hopefully, someone can help out with a more technical answer. VW didn't know?

I just hope it is isn't a software glitch.

Grant
Buggy software. I had this with my MK7 Golf GTD. It would not remember the mode selected on last journey, defaulting to Normal. A software update fixed it when I took it in to the dealership for the issue. Oddly, a mate of mine got his GTD A week after me, it was built 5 days after mine and didn't have the issue.

My MK7 Golf R doesn't have this issue. My Polo GTI+ seems to forget me switching off automatic park assist on the next ignition cycle (front parking sensors trigger in slow moving traffic) in the menus via unticking a box, much to my annoyance - possibly a similar issue that can hopefully also be fixed with a software update.

I need to book the car in for the seatbelt recall that VW still haven't informed me about, although my car is affected. I wonder if they can also make the stop start kick in later, like a second after the car has come to a stop rather than when it slows to 1.5mph and is still rolling.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

grudgey wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:13 pm I dont have the issue with the front sensors but yes the Stop Start is crappy.

It certainly kicks in as you say far too early.

Also when i lift off the brake the engine restarts and im down the road, or up someones arse in super quick time. There is no delay?
Are you never in a traffic situation where you're at a crawl for a few hundred yards for the park assist to kick in, or have you switched it off once in the menus and your car remembers that it's switched off?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

grudgey wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:55 pm Hi.

Park Assist is turned off by the button in the car. TBH i havent checked the menu...but can if it helps.

I never use park assist and it certainly hasnt kicked in. Does that help.
It does sound as though you haven't switched it off in the menu but haven't found yourself needing to either (I'm presuming you don't find yourself crawling in traffic). It would be handy if you could check your car set-up menu to see if your box is ticked. The "P)))" button switches that one trigger off, the menu switches it off for the whole journey - but doesn't remember (or chooses to ignore) your setting on the next ignition cycle.

Same setup in my Golf R, but the setting in the menu is remembered by the Golf, so I've only had to switch it off once. This makes me think I have glitchy software as previously experienced in my old Golf GTD.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

grudgey wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:24 pm It hasnt been switched off in the menu.

I do crawl in traffic but the sensors dont activate.

It seems the internal P button does control whether Park Assist is on or off for my car.

Ok.
That's great, thanks for checking. As far as I'm aware, that "P)))" button pressed without the front parking sensors triggered will put them on if I'm under 10mph at the time of pressing, and will switch them off if front parking sensors come on on their own, but won't prevent them coming on again if there's another traffic crawl that triggers them to come on.

As they are on the Golf, the front parking sensors will.only kick in if you engage reverse or press the "P)))" button - that's the way I want it.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:35 pm As far as I'm aware, that "P)))" button pressed without the front parking sensors triggered will put them on if I'm under 10mph at the time of pressing, and will switch them off if front parking sensors come on on their own, but won't prevent them coming on again if there's another traffic crawl that triggers them to come on.
That’s the way the parking sensors work in my previous generation Polo GTI.