GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Dan34
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+

Re: GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Post by Dan34 »

No issues with mine (touch wood). A happy 7K+ miles so far! It's a great car.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

EmiLiuZ wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:40 am I see so many negative comments and complaints all over this forum.
Like condensation, handbreak issues, gearbox issues, fuel economy, glitchy touch screens, squeeky breaks, bad tires and so on.

I am wondering if people are actually enjoying their GTI and/or if it is even enjoyable?
I am getting mine next month but I am so worried due to all these comments and topics.
I find it’s normal for people to complain if things aren’t quite right. Much less likely that they’ll sing the praises of a car if it’s working as intended.

Therefore, there’s a very high likelihood that what you see on a forum doesn’t represent a balanced view of the overall Polo-owning population, as there’ll be more negative than positive comments. The ‘silent’ satisfied owners are probably out there just driving and enjoying their cars 🙂.
Robint
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 polo GTI

Post by Robint »

I love my GTI +. Done 4000 miles no problems except juddering wipers car driving is great I’m sure it will be worth the wait hang in there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

EmiLiuZ wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:40 am I see so many negative comments and complaints all over this forum.
Like condensation, handbreak issues, gearbox issues, fuel economy, glitchy touch screens, squeeky breaks, bad tires and so on.

I am wondering if people are actually enjoying their GTI and/or if it is even enjoyable?
I am getting mine next month but I am so worried due to all these comments and topics.
Currently my GTI+ has no noisy breaks, condensation/water leaks or dodgy touch screens.

Economy is a little down on expectations, but the inclusion of DSG will be a factor there- I've always known that DSG is 10% thirstier than manual in reality, and around the doors in a manual i'm usually 20% under combined figures, so being 30% under (average) in my DSG isn't a complete shock.

The tyres aren't great if you have Brescias - I'm sure tramping would be difficult to do with a better tyre the Bridgestone but they aren't awful enough for me to chuck £330 replacing them hardly worn.

Wiper rubber is crap too, need to get some Bosch Aerotwins.
It's great to drive- feels more fun than my heavy and planted Golf R.
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Post by barrywi »

All new products have glitches. I bought an expensive 4K blu ray player two years ago and for the first three months the dedicated forum was full of problem solving( sometimes due to mis operation) but now it is virtually silent. The company was Oppo( daft name ,fantastic product) and they gradually worked through the issues with firmware updates and it became the “ go to” product for those in the know. A few months ago they pulled out of the disc player market to concentrate on mobile phones.
Damn I hope it stays reliable!
No cars are perfect , just different from each other ,and the Gti plus is unmatched for price and features. It is just a pity people have had to wait so long for their cars to be made.
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

Almost 3000km but I have some problems. Breaks are little noisy when aplying just little force to pedal. Head unit can sometimes restart itself when connecting android auto (this actualy looks like problem with my phone,like phone did something unexpected and head unit is like "hold on that is not right, Iam gonna restart for my own protection") after phone restart all is fine. Wipers get noisy when outside temperature is below 0C. Missing glowebox light (maybe project in future). Soundaktor humming gets anyoing after while. Wiper reley is right next to steering wheel and EVERY ... SINGLE ... CYCLE IT CLICK - anoying as hell. :evil: yet great car to drive :D
jylydesign
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+ on order

Post by jylydesign »

5500 miles completed and I have similiar experiences.
Pros;
- Sharp to drive, handles really well.
- Actually sounds pretty good too with little pops from the exhaust.
- Nice interior and love the digi dash and infotainment system. Quite a grown up feel for a small car.
- love the adaptive cruise
- brakes are very good

Cons
- boomy exhaust note gets a bit wearing on longer journeys
- long gears make it feel on the lethargic side
- irritating squeaky brakes when reversing
- disappointed with the NVH, not a patch on a Golf.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

jylydesign wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:00 am
Cons
- boomy exhaust note gets a bit wearing on longer journeys
- long gears make it feel on the lethargic side
- irritating squeaky brakes when reversing
- disappointed with the NVH, not a patch on a Golf.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
NVH? Are you talking Noise/Vibration/Harshness?

If so, comparing a Polo GTI to a soft suspension non-performance Golf on 16" wheels then I'd agree with you, but it's comparable to a GTD or GTI Golf With DCC in the Polo set to normal, it's marginally softer than the Golf GTI/GTD even on 18" Brescias. If you are on Brescias, when it's time to change the tyres, you'll find that most brand's other the Bridgestone to be softer/more flexible. Swapping out the atrocious Bridgestone Potenzas for Michelin PSS on my Golf R transformed my Golf R in comfort, handling and grip.

My Polo GTI+ feels as well screwed together as my Golf R. As Dark_cze says - I find the click/tick of the wiper relay as annoyance.

All of my minor annoyances with the car are there by design, hopefully VCDS adjustments can iron them out:-

Stop-start initiating before the car is stopped, it would be better activated with a heavy brake press once stopped.

Park pilot activating (front parking sensors) automatically in heavy crawling traffic, or when stopped and the cars ahead buch up a foot or 2. You can turn park pilot off but it reactivated every ignition cycle (The Golf remembers you switched it off, and leaves it off).

If it weren't for those minor issues and VWs poor choice of tyres, i'd say it's my most enjoyable VW yet.
Jim80
New
Drives: None yet...

Post by Jim80 »

Looking for something fun to drive and built well

Should I buy one. Very interested. And im unsure.

Needs to make me smile when I floor it and be able to carry my family when needed

Them theres the lead times..
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Jim80 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:59 pm Looking for something fun to drive and built well

Needs to make me smile when I floor it and be able to carry my family when needed

I don't think you'll find a better equipped new hot hatch for the money than the GTI+, if you can stomach the potential wait. 6.7s might not seem lightning fast, but you have to go Golf sized to get noticeably quicker.

My Golf R is 5.1s, but about 0.7s of that is initial 4WD traction. In gear acceleration doesn't feel much quicker in the Golf. The Polo definitely feels a bit nimbler and more fun.
New-gti-guy
New
Drives: 1.6

Post by New-gti-guy »

Hi all.
Did anyone have their gti remapped or know someone who did?
What is it like afterwards??
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:30 pm
Jim80 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:59 pm Looking for something fun to drive and built well

I don't think you'll find a better equipped new hot hatch for the money than the GTI+, if you can stomach the potential wait. 6.7s might not seem lightning fast, but you have to go Golf sized to get noticeably quicker.
If you venture over to Youtube there are 0-100 times measured at 6.4s and even one at 6.0s for the Polo GTI. This is right in the territory of the Golf GTI performance. I wonder if VW advertises 6.7 as a conservative figure in order to give it further differentiation from its bigger more expensive brother? :?
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

0 - 100 in 6 - 6.7 seconds??? I'll have one of them :D
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

silverhairs wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:56 am 0 - 100 in 6 - 6.7 seconds??? I'll have one of them :D
Hahahh. kph that is. :lol:
EmiLiuZ
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI 2,0 DSG

Post by EmiLiuZ »

roywolfey wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:43 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:30 pm

If you venture over to Youtube there are 0-100 times measured at 6.4s and even one at 6.0s for the Polo GTI. This is right in the territory of the Golf GTI performance. I wonder if VW advertises 6.7 as a conservative figure in order to give it further differentiation from its bigger more expensive brother? :?
The golf GTI has known issues for its launch control. But it is true that most car manufactures likes to play rather safe than sorry