GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Post by SRGTD »

EmiLiuZ wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:08 pm Anyone else with squeaking brakes when you are reversing just after you've started the car?
I'm not sure if this is normal or not.
On my previous generation Polo GTI the brakes squealed at low speeds for the first few hundred miles. They stopped squealing after that and have been silent in operation ever since (over three years of use).
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

SRGTD wrote:
EmiLiuZ wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:08 pm Anyone else with squeaking brakes when you are reversing just after you've started the car?
I'm not sure if this is normal or not.
On my previous generation Polo GTI the brakes squealed at low speeds for the first few hundred miles. They stopped squealing after that and have been silent in operation ever since (over three years of use).
Me too. Righted itself after some mileage was put on the car.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

JMiddo94
New
Drives: 2019 GTI

Post by JMiddo94 »

2000 miles in and mine still squeak, they still stop the car though so I'm not too worried...
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

JMiddo94 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:39 pm 2000 miles in and mine still squeak, they still stop the car though so I'm not too worried...
I have more than 10 000km and they still squeak :D I don't think it will stop :)
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Mine don't squeal, but I do get the brake pad clunky as they move a little when setting off. Just turned 6000 miles.
av9sam
New
Drives: Gti+

Post by av9sam »

Hello all

I’m hoping to collect my Polo GTI in the next few weeks and wondered how many miles people get per tank. I’ve read through and seen a lot of posts on mpg already which vary quite a lot. I’ll be doing around 80 miles per day mainly motorway and a roads. Just wondered when driven sensibly I could expect from a tank?

Appreciate that many people don’t buy a gti for economy but thought it would be worth asking
green justin
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI

Post by green justin »

av9sam wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 12:16 pm Hello all

I’m hoping to collect my Polo GTI in the next few weeks and wondered how many miles people get per tank. I’ve read through and seen a lot of posts on mpg already which vary quite a lot. I’ll be doing around 80 miles per day mainly motorway and a roads. Just wondered when driven sensibly I could expect from a tank?

Appreciate that many people don’t buy a gti for economy but thought it would be worth asking
Wow that's a lot of driving.

On the Highway the Polo is very efficient.

My 50 km per day on mixed A and B Roads equates to 400km per tank in Sport Mode/Normal.
Robint
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 polo GTI

Post by Robint »

38 MPG. On A roads and Motorway. 45MPG on Motorway 75MpG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Jeepers, you'd save a big chunk of money getting an electric car doing that sort of mileage every day. :shock:
Far from being suited to low mileage drivers, where savings aren't so marked, you're the ideal user.
Even at 40MPG you're spending £11.60 per day on fuel, which is £58 a week on a five day week.
That's £232 per month.....that's almost a car payment in itself.
Then there's VED savings....
Last edited by Andy Beats on Thu May 23, 2019 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roywolfey
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo GTI +

Post by roywolfey »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 3:14 pm

That's £232 per month or £10900 per year on a 47 week year!!!
How did you get to £10900. A 47 Month Year? :lol:
It's around £2726 per year based on your figures.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

roywolfey wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 3:36 pm
Doh, silly me, of course, amended. :oops:
Still a hefty saving, and that's based on 40MPG - which he might struggle to achieve.
A saving of £230 a month in fuel is almost a car payment in itself.
Not that electricity is free, of course, but free public vending is available in England from time to time, and home charging can be dirt cheap.
Last edited by Andy Beats on Thu May 23, 2019 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

roywolfey wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 3:36 pm
Andy Beats wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 3:14 pm

That's £232 per month or £10900 per year on a 47 week year!!!
That'll be the 47 month total. The electric costs will be just under half that on a 14p per kWh tariff based on 100% home charging and realistic range expectations (2/3 of published)..
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 3:58 pm That'll be the 47 month total. The electric costs will be just under half that on a 14p per kWh tariff based on 100% home charging and realistic range expectations (2/3 of published)..
14p is steep, plus (as mentioned in other post) there is still free charging at public posts in England from time to time.
Currently free charging at public posts in Scotland all the time. :D
And if you have a night-time electricity tariff, the price drops considerably.
I note he also says "sensible driving", so it's not as if he's hooning around and using the Gti to its potential.
Sensible driving in a Gti is no different to sensible driving in an electric car..... :?:
With regard to range, 80 miles return is easily achievable with loads of electric cars, only smaller battery ones like my Leaf 24KW would need a charge in the middle.
Even then a quick 10 min boost at a rapid would be enough to get you home to your own charger.
I don't know where your "2/3 of expected" comes from.
Maybe 2/3 of the manufacturer's claimed range, but that applies to any petrol/diesel too! :!:
What do VW claim for the Gti I wonder....? :?:
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 4:02 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 3:58 pm That'll be the 47 month total. The electric costs will be just under half that on a 14p per kWh tariff based on 100% home charging and realistic range expectations (2/3 of published)..
14p is steep, plus (as mentioned in other post) there is still free charging at public posts in England from time to time.
Currently free charging at public posts in Scotland all the time. :D
And if you have a night-time electricity tariff, the price drops considerably.
I note he also says "sensible driving", so it's not as if he's hooning around and using the Gti to its potential.
Sensible driving in a Gti is no different to sensible driving in an electric car..... :?:
With regard to range, 80 miles return is easily achievable with loads of electric cars, only smaller battery ones like my Leaf 24KW would need a charge in the middle.
Even then a quick 10 min boost at a rapid would be enough to get you home to your own charger.
I don't know where your "2/3 of expected" comes from.
Maybe 2/3 of the manufacturer's claimed range, but that applies to any petrol/diesel too! :!:
What do VW claim for the Gti I wonder....? :?:
I did mean 2/3 claimed range. VW claim 48mpg for the GTI. I can get 45mpg on an 80mph 90 mile motorway run and generally get 33-37mpg on my 12 mile commute depending on traffic, so worst case in heavy traffic 2/3 claimed mpg, best caseover 90% claimed.

The people with electric cars bang on about night time electricity rates to justify dirt cheap charging - who gets access to economy 7 rates or whatever its modern equivalent might be? Never seen it yet when looking for my new energy deal.

With "sensible driving" (religiously sticking to the speed limits) on a 40 mile each way commute mainly 60/70mph uncluttered roads, 45mpg should be easy in a GTI. I was up to 42mpg not 40 miles into my York journey doing 80 down the A19.
Robint
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 polo GTI

Post by Robint »

Did 1100 miles this week in my GTI motorway cruising at 75 gave me 49.6mpg very pleased with that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk