GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
jylydesign
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+ on order

Re: GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Post by jylydesign »

@monkeyhanger do you notice any differences between the gpf and non version? Sound? Performance?

Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk

Griff74
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTi+ in Reef blue

Post by Griff74 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:02 am Car vibration above a certain speed, especially felt through steering wheel definitely sounds like a unbalanced wheel to be (maybe a balancing weight fell off a wheel). That buzzing/warbling sound seems like it might be a dodgy Soundaktor. Put the car in Eco mode or individual mode with engine noise set low and see if it lessens/disappears.

As for the fans at the end of your very short commute - in either of my GTI+, I just get a tiny amount of noise under the bonnet - quiet whirring and a few beeps as oil or water continue to be circulated around the turbo to cool it down after you stop.

If you have your fans blaring at the end of your journey, I'd suspect that your GPF is trying to force a regen.

I haven't heard of it happening in a petrol unit yet with GPF, but given you only have a 3 mile commute, not enough to completely warm the car (2 miles to get the water up to 90C, another 2 miles to get the oil temp to 90C), it sounds a hell of a lot like a diesel's active DPF regen has been cut short by reaching your destination.

The car realises its particulate filter is getting full of soot and if you're not generating enough prolonged heat to burn it off passively, the car starts taking measures to increase exhaust heat quickly, igniting fuel in the exhaust system and running rich. If you interrupt that cycle by finishing your journey, the car has got to cool everything dow and the radiator fans will be blaring away until everything cools.

Our newer.GTI+ (with GPF) does not do this, but it typically does a 12 mile journey.
I just wrote a reply, clicked submit and gone, hmmm!! lol

Anyway, thanks for your reply Monkey, much appreciated!

The sound\vibration I don't think it is the soundakotor thing, esp as it there when on the power or coasting but goes when using the brakes, even just a light touch of the pedal clears it, already got it set to Eco but am going to turn it off completely later with OBDeleven and test again. The vibration\shudder over 60mph I am hoping is a wheel balance issue but I can't help think it is related to the other issue.

The fan thing better not be a GPF regen, the car has only just hit 100 miles (in 2 days of owning it), has had a couple of decent runs round the motorway AND been over the Snake Pass and back, my old 07 Mazda 3 2.0d could go weeks doing my short commute without kicking in a DPF regen (I bought it when I had a much longer commute). I think I can check with OBDeleven if it is doing it or needs one.

I foresee my day off tomorrow being spent at the dealers, joy!

Edit - forgot to mention that the fan thing has been happening since I picked it up from the dealers and yesterday I drove it for a good 2 hours straight when I took it for a run over the Snake Pass.
Last edited by Griff74 on Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Griff74 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:25 am
And one for people who have had their GTi's a while (I'm looking at you especially Monkeyhanger!) the engine cooling fan is on a lot on my car, I've noticed the engine gets up to temp very fast (twice as fast as my Leon did) which is good, but the fan is pretty much always on when I stop the car, even this morning driving to work at 7am with it 10c, only 3 miles of gentle driving (oil temp was only at 60c when I switched off), is this normal?
@Griff74; do you have climate control or manual air con? I’ve got climate control in my previous generation GTI and at this time of year, the cooling fan does run much more than during the older months. Seems to be a normal characteristic with climate control (can’t remember if my previous car with CC did it though). If you do an internet search on something like ‘engine fan running continuously with climate control’ you’ll see it comes up fairly regularly and the general consensus is it’s normal.
Griff74
Silver Member

Post by Griff74 »

SRGTD wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:37 am
@Griff74; do you have climate control or manual air con? I’ve got climate control in my previous generation GTI and at this time of year, the cooling fan does run much more than during the older months. Seems to be a normal characteristic with climate control (can’t remember if my previous car with CC did it though). If you do an internet search on something like ‘engine fan running continuously with climate control’ you’ll see it comes up fairly regularly and the general consensus is it’s normal.
Yes I do and I know the fan comes on whenever the AC compressor is running, it was 10c this morning when I drove to work and had the CC set to 20c so it was blowing hot air not cold, the fan still ran after I parked the car and switched it off and was still on as I walked away from it, have never had a car do this in such cool weather, even my old Abarth 500, which used to get VERY hot when driving it hard, never had it's fan on as much as this.
Also my previous car, a Leon with the 1.8tsi (same block as the 2.0tsi, just short stroked) which had CC as well only ever ran it's fan after switching off the ignition on very hot days, like 26c+.

As I said I'm going back to the dealers with it tomorrow.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Griff74 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:53 am
SRGTD wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:37 am
Yes I do and I know the fan comes on whenever the AC compressor is running, it was 10c this morning when I drove to work and had the CC set to 20c so it was blowing hot air not cold, the fan still ran after I parked the car and switched it off and was still on as I walked away from it, have never had a car do this in such cool weather, even my old Abarth 500, which used to get VERY hot when driving it hard, never had it's fan on as much as this.
Also my previous car, a Leon with the 1.8tsi (same block as the 2.0tsi, just short stroked) which had CC as well only ever ran it's fan after switching off the ignition on very hot days, like 26c+.

As I said I'm going back to the dealers with it tomorrow.
Apologies - missed the part in your earlier post where you said the fan was still running after you’ve turned the engine off. Mine doesn’t do that. It does make various electrical whirring noises which I believe are the auxiliary pump for for cooling the turbo.

Yes, take it back to the dealer as it needs to be sorted.
Griff74
Silver Member

Post by Griff74 »

At the dealers now about the noise and vibration, took a tech out he can hear\feel it, this is the 2nd new GTi they have had in the last week reporting the same issue, is already booked in for Saturday for the wheel arch liner so they have booked me a loaner for then(none available now) in case they need to keep it a few days.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

jylydesign wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:11 am @monkeyhanger do you notice any differences between the gpf and non version? Sound? Performance?

Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk
They're about the same for mpg when driven the same way, but considering the newer GPF one has 700ish Mike's on and the other has 7300 miles on, there may be more potential in the GPF equipped one to improve over time.

Never thought much of the Polo exhaust's ability to bang and pop - its all very subtle, won't impress the cider drinking 16 year old glasses at the McDonalds car park for any 17 year old lad (or lass) lucky enough to be driving one. Definitely does a little in the pre-GPF one, but unless you have your windows down and the music off, you'll miss it.

Louder Soundaktor with GPF, slightly louder actual engine noises in the GPF one - GPF probably does a bit of muffling.

PreGPF is definitely quicker and more eager, but again, that might be because it has 10x more miles on it.
Nora
Bronze Member
Drives: A polo

Post by Nora »

Although it only rubs intermittently I’ve book mine in for them to inspect the wheel arch liners and I suspect that they will keep it in for several days, as they’re arranging a loan car for me
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Nora wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:41 am Although it only rubs intermittently I’ve book mine in for them to inspect the wheel arch liners and I suspect that they will keep it in for several days, as they’re arranging a loan car for me
It's a 30 min fix. If they look at your car early enough, they might get the parts in same day.

Is everyone getting rubbing on the rear drivers side liner? Seems a common issue, I adjusted mine myself (and my strike plate, seeing as my warranty claim was denied) all that and fitting a dashcam, I feel like a qualified VW dealership "technician". :lol:
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:49 am
Nora wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:41 am Although it only rubs intermittently I’ve book mine in for them to inspect the wheel arch liners and I suspect that they will keep it in for several days, as they’re arranging a loan car for me
It's a 30 min fix. If they look at your car early enough, they might get the parts in same day.

Is everyone getting rubbing on the rear drivers side liner? Seems a common issue, I adjusted mine myself (and my strike plate, seeing as my warranty claim was denied) all that and fitting a dashcam, I feel like a qualified VW dealership "technician". :lol:
Probably better than a ‘qualified’ VW ‘technician’, as you’ll take more care of the car when doing those jobs than some so called qualified VW technicians would.
Griff74
Silver Member

Post by Griff74 »

Yeah mine is the rear drivers that is (well was) rubbing, problem is with mine that the factory had screwed it up so bad that they are having to replace it, my dealer ordered on the Friday and is to be delivered today (no deliveries on a Monday) but I can't get the car back to them until Saturday when they will also be looking at the noise\vibration (sounds like a wheel bearing tbh, the tech who came out with me agreed but it stops when you touch the brakes!), my liner was that bad and so messed up by the factory the dealers had to use cable ties to stop it rubbing until the new one can be fitted!
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Griff74 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:01 am Yeah mine is the rear drivers that is (well was) rubbing, problem is with mine that the factory had screwed it up so bad that they are having to replace it, my dealer ordered on the Friday and is to be delivered today (no deliveries on a Monday) but I can't get the car back to them until Saturday when they will also be looking at the noise\vibration (sounds like a wheel bearing tbh, the tech who came out with me agreed but it stops when you touch the brakes!), my liner was that bad and so messed up by the factory the dealers had to use cable ties to stop it rubbing until the new one can be fitted!
It's easy just to blame factory fitment (they are the root cause, if the component itself is not defective), but after build, VW have QC checks and then the dealership does a PDI - both of which should have caught issues like rubbing wheel arch linings, partially fitted door frame rubbers and a harder to close than it should be tailgate.

I've had so many things missed by PDI over the years, or maybe they've been seen but the dealership tech thinks "sod it, they won't notice".
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

On a trusted B road today with a juggernaut and traffic behind it coming towards me my car decided to apply the brakes. The situation didn't require it and I've had times when vehicles have been far closer and it hasn't been triggered.
Luckily car behind me was at a good distance and I'm pleased I didn't have passengers.
I have adjusted the sensitivity.
I would never option it, I keep my eyes on the road and not glued to my mobile or other things.
Edit. Was travelling at about 45mph

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Griff74
Silver Member

Post by Griff74 »

johnpolo2 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:56 pm On a trusted B road today with a juggernaut and traffic behind it coming towards me my car decided to apply the brakes. The situation didn't require it and I've had times when vehicles have been far closer and it hasn't been triggered.
Luckily car behind me was at a good distance and I'm pleased I didn't have passengers.
I have adjusted the sensitivity.
I would never option it, I keep my eyes on the road and not glued to my mobile or other things.
Edit. Was travelling at about 45mph

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
I've had it warn me once, the day after I got it when I was crawling in traffic, have set it to it's lowest setting and it seems to be behaving itself now.
Rosinfield
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 AW GTI

Post by Rosinfield »

Happened to me also a few days ago. My impression based on that experience is that distance is not the only variable in play. It seems that also the suddenness of the stop of the vehicle in front plays a role. I also could have stopped amply in time without having the system, but better safe than sorry. My distance is set at medium.