GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
barrywi
Gold Member
Drives: GTI plus ( at last!) JaguarXJ 2007

Re: GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Post by barrywi »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:58 am See what happens when you customise your menus? Barry - better leave yours alone!

Seriously though. Most of thoselook unconnected, but likely share same controller module, so all flash up for 1 issue.
Yes indeed, we are off on a longer run today to get some motorway miles on the clock ready for blastoff and I certainly do not want to see any of those messages, I hope the o.p. will let us know what the problem turned out to be. Hopefully not some exotic South African smaal beast eating away at a module.
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

jylydesign wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:49 am
barrywi wrote:Permission to disagree a bit?
It is not a figure that is always of use I agree, but to me it is of more use than the figure that gives you the time of your journey. I can get that from my watch. If I set the car on cruise I do find it interesting( not necessarily important ) to look at on a boring motorway journey to see the difference a few mph extra on a constant speed makes to mpg.
All I was asking was how do I see that figure , which is my decision, and is not clear in the menus.
So can anyone tell me how to see it please?
I note that neither of the previous posters actually owns a Polo Gti, so menus on other cars could be different.
Barry you can set various functions to show in the middle of the dials on the active info. See photo below. I can show av mpg since start and the inst. Mpg in the middle. Go to Car>selection>active info display> and select what you want to view in either dial. Image

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk
Can I ask, how do you change the centre part of the display where you have consumption, I would like speed there, remaining fuel on the right and gear on the left? I can swap around the left and right parts of the display but only music shows in the centre? Thank you :-)
jylydesign
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+ on order

Post by jylydesign »

Ok, so the diagnosis is the nearside abs/speed sensor cable dropped and snagged on the rotating gator clip causing it to sheer. This resulted in the various speed related systems failing such as cruise control, variable power steering, park distance, etc etc.
It is recovered to my local dealer and I'm now waiting for a hire car courtesy of VW for the 2nd time in 3 weeks!

jylydesign
Getting There!
Drives: GTI+ on order

Post by jylydesign »

I would have a look but the car is at the dealers now!
MilgeS wrote:
barrywi wrote:Permission to disagree a bit?
It is not a figure that is always of use I agree, but to me it is of more use than the figure that gives you the time of your journey. I can get that from my watch. If I set the car on cruise I do find it interesting( not necessarily important ) to look at on a boring motorway journey to see the difference a few mph extra on a constant speed makes to mpg.
All I was asking was how do I see that figure , which is my decision, and is not clear in the menus.
So can anyone tell me how to see it please?
I note that neither of the previous posters actually owns a Polo Gti, so menus on other cars could be different.
Barry you can set various functions to show in the middle of the dials on the active info. See photo below. I can show av mpg since start and the inst. Mpg in the middle. Go to Car>selection>active info display> and select what you want to view in either dial. Image

Can I ask, how do you change the centre part of the display where you have consumption, I would like speed there, remaining fuel on the right and gear on the left? I can swap around the left and right parts of the display but only music shows in the centre? Thank you :-)

MilgeS
Silver Member

Post by MilgeS »

jylydesign wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:07 pm I would have a look but the car is at the dealers now!
MilgeS wrote:
Ahh, thank you, I'll have a tinker later and see if I can suss it out, maybe if I haven't posted my solution you can have a look when you get yours back!! Thanks for your help :-)
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Almost too much choice on the display panel ,I think it needs Apple to show VW how to simplify menus. Got mine sorted to my taste for now until I touch some random button and it all changes. :(
MilgeS
Silver Member

Post by MilgeS »

Sussed it! Use the view buttons on the steering wheel to shuffle through to "Driving Data" then up/down arrows to select what to display :)
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

First full RON99 commute home. The car felt no smoother for the first 30 yards - it always feels a little lumpy for about the first 10 seconds when I try to crawl along at 10mph out of the works car park - anyone else notice that with the GTI Engine?

After those 30 yards, the car seems sharper to respond to the throttle than it did before on rsgular - placebo effect after looking hard for something positive?

Mpg is no better so far. I had a very clear run home and put my foot down a bit to get 36.5mpg for the trip, which I felt I would've got before on regular fuel.

Whether 12 miles for ecu to fully adjust is enough (if sny adjustment is taking place) remains to be seen.

Not expecting much if any, just reporting on what I think is going on.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

On Friday we decided to visit our friends in Carlisle , actually I wanted to give the new car a good run on the mostly dual carriageway and motorway route about 120 miles return. I thought we may get a decent mpg over that distance.
The trip started brilliantly when we drove the mile down the dual carriageway straight into a jam. Two lanes into one and despite knowing a bit of an unknown road to avoid it we spent about 45 minutes stuck in traffic. The reason....flipping road authority decided than a Friday in the holiday season was the best time to cut the grass verges in the Lake District!
So my successful attempt to get average mpg and instantaneous mpg on the same display really annoyed me by reminding me that we were getting around 10 mpg despite being in economy mode and the help of stop start.
Things improved as we got onto the M6 and I set the cruise on 70 and was pleased how effective it was at keeping a distance from the cars and lorries in front of us in our lane. What it could not do was to keep the idiot behind us from tailgating us about 10 metres behind. Despite swapping lanes , speeding up etc his red car must have found comfort in following another red car closely behind. I pushed the car up to 90 at one point to leave him behind then pulled into the inside lane at 70 but within minutes he was there again. Barsteward! I eventually just slowed down to 50 as a hint and off he went..not a good start.
By the time we got up to the top of Shap summit and were going downhill again the coasting effect helped us to get the mpg up to about 32 mpg, nowhere near what I had planned. By the time we left our friends it was dark, piddling with rain and the wind was completely against us. Reversing out of his steep awkward drive was not too easy to control, the gearbox wanted to either stop the car or go quickly? Anyway we got home with an average of 44 which was not too bad considering.
Impressions of the car on the trip.
A bit more road noise than I expected with a strange change in tone crossing the white lines.
The wipers were quite noisy ( not from the screen) from the motor and mechanism.
The sat nav was too bright at night but I am sure I have set it wrong in the menu ,telling it not to dim at night maybe. Not something I wanted to fiddle with on the move looking at the screen rather than the road ahead. No point in asking the boss if she could change it!
One other annoying thing was that the repeat yellow indictor bulbs in the rear view mirror were too bright, distracting my ability to see rearwards through the mirror. Not sure if that could be set to " night mode".
One last thing, the boss decided she wanted to recline her seat to have a sleep but she could not find the adjuster and I could not remember where it was. Something to sort out in the light.
Not a day out to cherish but longing for the run in mode to end so that I can sample the performance properly. :D
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:28 pm First full RON99 commute home. The car felt no smoother for the first 30 yards - it always feels a little lumpy for about the first 10 seconds when I try to crawl along at 10mph out of the works car park - anyone else notice that with the GTI Engine?

After those 30 yards, the car seems sharper to respond to the throttle than it did before on rsgular - placebo effect after looking hard for something positive?

Mpg is no better so far. I had a very clear run home and put my foot down a bit to get 36.5mpg for the trip, which I felt I would've got before on regular fuel.

Whether 12 miles for ecu to fully adjust is enough (if sny adjustment is taking place) remains to be seen.

Not expecting much if any, just reporting on what I think is going on.
Yes our car is quite lumpy when cold going up our steep drive. A bit like "kangeroo petrol" , quite jerky.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

Just forgot one item.
The LED headlights did not really impress. Not so bad on full beam when both dipped and main beams were on but on dipped they seemed to be set a bit low and were not very bright. Not as good as the discharge dipped beams on my Jaguar or as good as my previous cars with uprated halogens. Part of the Gti plus package but would not specify them as an extra.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Why if you have purchased a GTI, do you put it in ECO mode, you know you have a 2 ltr under the bonnet, and the fuel consumption will be in the 30's, It's nice to know that when you put your foot down it goes like hell for a small car, It just beats me why you would use ECO mode to get the best MPG, then you get on the motorway get a bit wound up, and wind it up to 90 MPH?
I don't like people right up my @rse, but just slow down a bit and they will over take, if they don't just turn on the windscreen wash for some time and see if they drop back then? Works for me :D
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

I bought the gti for several personal reasons including the performance. The weather on my trip on the motorway was appalling with both wind and rain and lots of spray. It was also very busy .That is why I was particularly annoyed at the driver behind me being so close. My first reaction was to slow down and change lanes as you suggested but he just stuck with me . The rest of the tale is in the post. I do not see the logic of always having the gti in sport attack mode , good though it is. The car has only done 300 miles so is running in ( in my mind) the weather and driving conditions were awful and travelling at above the speed limit would add to the risks and when I wanted to briefly speed up to 90 plus the eco mode is more than adequate. On top of that I probably gained 10 mpg on the trip thus saving money which is no crime. I also had our dog in the back and my wife as a passenger neither of whom realise what the car is capable of ( YET)
I will reserve my full bifftas driving for appropriate weather and road conditions.
I rest my case your honour.
Found the solution to the car seat problem ( rotary adjuster, not the lever height control) and set the sat nav screen to auto, so it will dim at night.
Cannot find a solution to the overbright indicator lights in the mirrors yet and do not want to resort to sticky tape!
Picture of the rev counter dial attached and the inner white circular line moves during acceleration. There is another one on the speed which is slowly going down. Not sure what they indicate but my guess is the speedo line shows range and the rev counter one shows economy but can anyone help?
image.jpeg
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

barrywi wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:48 pm I bought the gti for several personal reasons including the performance. The weather on my trip on the motorway was appalling with both wind and rain and lots of spray. It was also very busy .That is why I was particularly annoyed at the driver behind me being so close. My first reaction was to slow down and change lanes as you suggested but he just stuck with me.
That’s one of the unfortunate downsides of GTI ownership. VW’s GTI cars (Golf, up! and Polo) are quite subtle and understated in their design, so many other road users will see them as just another Golf, up! or Polo. However, there’s a small sector of road users who readily identify them as a GTI and will tease and taunt you in an attempt to get you to drive in a certain way. I don’t play their games, and they usually get bored very quickly and go and find someone else to play with.
barrywi wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:48 pm Cannot find a solution to the overbright indicator lights in the mirrors yet and do not want to resort to sticky tape!
I first had these indicator lights in the door mirror housings in a mk5 Golf and I did notice them initially. I found that you soon get used to them and then don’t really notice they’re there. I don’t think there’s a way to adjust the brightness level of them.
barrywi
Gold Member

Post by barrywi »

They are ok in the day time, but I thought they could dim at night. Should have let me design the car!