GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Re: GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Post by johnpolo2 »

Brilliant. Enjoy your new motor.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

alandbess
Bronze Member
Drives: Scirocco

Post by alandbess »

Looks great, and a good colour choice [emoji16] I've ordered the white, but with black pack.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Velodyne1200
New
Drives: VW Polo GTI+

Post by Velodyne1200 »

MrLems wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 1:18 am Car looking very nice Velodyne - congrats! :) Glad I've ordered mine in white after seeing yours. Was the paint protection gardx by any chance? And how is the finish of it?
The paint protection was Supagard. The finish looks great.
Velodyne1200
New

Post by Velodyne1200 »

IMG_20180526_100548.jpg
SRGTD wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 11:15 pm Car looks great Velodyne1200. Scottish scenery in the background of your first picture doesn’t look to bad either :). Can you post some pictures of the interior please?

Enjoy your new car. Hopefully you’ll provide some updates on life with the GTI+ over the coming weeks.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Interior looks good. I think it’s the first RHD GTI+ interior I’ve seen. The Velvet Red dashpad looks quite good - I didn’t think I’d like it, but it’s much less ‘in your face’ that I thought it would be. The digi dash looks great - better IMO than the first generation that’s fitted in the current Golf performance models.

I shouldn’t keep asking to see pictures as I’ll be wanting one now! Must resist the temptation................🤔
George2702
New
Drives: Polo GTI+ DSG 2018

Post by George2702 »

Please could you confirm if the car comes with sports select suspension and what are the different driver modes? One minute vw were saying it does come with the sports select suspension, and now it doesn't, with it just being lowered by 15mm. Thanks in advance!
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

Interior looks allright too....
Velodyne1200
New

Post by Velodyne1200 »

George2702 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 1:03 pm Please could you confirm if the car comes with sports select suspension and what are the different driver modes? One minute vw were saying it does come with the sports select suspension, and now it doesn't, with it just being lowered by 15mm. Thanks in advance!
Hi, I can confirm that my car came standard with 'sports select suspension' on the build list. You can switch this on/off with the drive select function.
Velodyne1200
New

Post by Velodyne1200 »

George2702 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 1:03 pm Please could you confirm if the car comes with sports select suspension and what are the different driver modes? One minute vw were saying it does come with the sports select suspension, and now it doesn't, with it just being lowered by 15mm. Thanks in advance!
Hi George2702, the drive select function shown in the photos.
Attachments
IMG_20180526_162449.jpg
IMG_20180526_162717.jpg
TurboTrev
Getting There!
Drives: Golf CS

Post by TurboTrev »

^^^That's really good news. Let's hope it not just the orders that seem to have been destined for dealership demos that have the sports select and that they all have it.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Am I right in thinking that the sports select suspension switches between 2 predetermined settings of normal (medium-soft) and sport (hard) with actuators?

Not quite the ever changing adaptive "DCC" as optionable on the performance Golfs, as the DCC is about £800 and sports select susoendion used to be a £245 option on previous Polo GTI.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Velodyne1200 wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 10:39 pm I picked up my new GTI+ today. Great service at the VW dealership. (Full tank of fuel, a nice bottle of champagne, GTI Brolly, GTI shirt & the car had the paint protection done for free)
First thoughts are - great little car. Looks great on the outside and has a really well-finished interior.
I've only driven around 30 miles and so-far everything felt like it should. My first 15 miles were spent driving through rush hour traffic & the DSG box was great. Once the traffic cleared I switched the car into sport mode which really brought a smile as the exhaust and engine noise is very addictive.
I'm not sure how much of the noise is artificial but either way, it sounds great. There are some nice pops as the gears drop when slowing down. The car feels quite quick and feels well pinned to the road. The suspension is firm as expected, but not too firm like other cars I've owned in the past.

I'll post more info over the next few days once I get to know the car better & try and answer any questions where possible.
You should be able to turn down or completely turn off the "Soundaktor" device through the menus (you can on the facelift Golf). I had it switched off on my R, as it was deafening in "Race" mode, and the R sounds good already when fully wound up. Or if it can't be switched off on the Polo via menu and you find it annoying after a while then you might need OBD Eleven to code it off or down. Some people have even disconnected it at the base of the windscreen.

It will be louder in Sport mode because of the Soundaktor putting out more.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 6:34 pm Am I right in thinking that the sports select suspension switches between 2 predetermined settings of normal (medium-soft) and sport (hard) with actuators?

Not quite the ever changing adaptive "DCC" as optionable on the performance Golfs, as the DCC is about £800 and sports select susoendion used to be a £245 option on previous Polo GTI.
Yes, pretty certain that’s what it is. IMO It’d be unlikely that VW would include the DCC system that’s an £800 option in the Golf for ‘free’ as part of standard spec in the Polo.

I’ve got the Sports Performance Pack in my previous model 2016 Polo GTI, which has Normal or Sport modes. The ride in ‘Normal’ mode is fine for me, but In ‘Sport’ mode, I find it far too firm for anything other than occasional use, and I dislike the fake engine noise. I specified it because it seemed good value, and if I didn’t like it/use it, it hadn’t cost much, and a ‘Sport” button on the facia was one less blank button :).

It’ll be interesting to hear from owners who’ve spec’d 18” Brescia alloys what they think the ride is like in Sport mode.
Velodyne1200
New

Post by Velodyne1200 »

One week of owning the new GTI+ and 450 miles covered. I'm really enjoying the car.
Taking it easy heading to work, I'm getting 45mpg. If I drive with a heavy right foot I'm getting around 28mpg. Pretty happy with these figures. (318 miles & 35 liters to fill at the pump)
The engine is really strong and pulls well from low revs. It feels good on the motorway sitting at 70mph at just over 2000 revs. Loving the sound from the exhaust when it pops :D
It's my first time with Micheline Primacy tyres - so far so good. The car grips the road great in both wet and dry conditions.
Hopefully, others will be getting their cars soon and can post their experiences here as well. :D
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Just over 2000revs at 70mph? That's geared pretty high, should really help the fuel economy. My Golf R is about 2700rpm at 70mph, and my old GTD was around 1950rpm at 70mph.

You've done ok out of the VW tyre lottery to get Michelins