GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Re: GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Post by S_94 »

silverhairs wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:44 pm The Pol GTI & GTI+ is not the be all or end all of cars
Nobody on here has claimed that? For the price it's a very good car.

I changed the tyres on the car based off recommendations on this forum which, in my opinion, has improved the car a lot. I don't think that means I've turned into a 'boy racer'. Before choosing the Polo GTI I looked at the Fiesta ST but the interior is horrible and I see multiple of them every day.
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

Loving the hair. I may start styling mine like that. [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Griff74
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTi+ in Reef blue

Post by Griff74 »

SEL is the top "comfort" trim so it's spec leans heavily on comfort items such as climate control, comfy seats etc. GTi is the top "sport" trim so it has sporty spec such as engine, suspension, styling etc, it's really not hard to figure that out, this is the way manufacturers have always done it.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

The DSG had another brain fart today (2 overall to date). Crawled towards a roundabout in 2nd that's always busy and you don't know it's clear to the right until you're just about on it. Saw a gap when I got there, so put my foot down and...nothing for 2/3 of a second, but felt like an eternity.

I'm pretty sure that the car, doing about 4mph in 2nd had 3rd gear lined up. Instead of pressing on in 2nd, it decides it needed to change down to 1st, which takes about 2/3 of a second to ditch the gear (3rd) it has on the other box and select the other adjacent (1st) to the gear already engaged (2nd). In those situations, it should make do with what it has until the other gear is available rather than being adamant that it won't move until 1st gear is selected.
MattHGR
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI+

Post by MattHGR »

monkeyhanger wrote:The DSG had another brain fart today (2 overall to date). Crawled towards a roundabout in 2nd that's always busy and you don't know it's clear to the right until you're just about on it. Saw a gap when I got there, so put my foot down and...nothing for 2/3 of a second, but felt like an eternity.

I'm pretty sure that the car, doing about 4mph in 2nd had 3rd gear lined up. Instead of pressing on in 2nd, it decides it needed to change down to 1st, which takes about 2/3 of a second to ditch the gear (3rd) it has on the other box and select the other adjacent (1st) to the gear already engaged (2nd). In those situations, it should make do with what it has until the other gear is available rather than being adamant that it won't move until 1st gear is selected.
Stop start to blame ?
I've had similar where the engine cuts out as I want to go, and even though the engine kicks back to life very quickly, the gearbox is slow to respond.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

MattHGR wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:19 pm
monkeyhanger wrote:The DSG had another brain fart today (2 overall to date). Crawled towards a roundabout in 2nd that's always busy and you don't know it's clear to the right until you're just about on it. Saw a gap when I got there, so put my foot down and...nothing for 2/3 of a second, but felt like an eternity.

Stop start to blame ?
I've had similar where the engine cuts out as I want to go, and even though the engine kicks back to life very quickly, the gearbox is slow to respond.
Nope, I turned stop start off. I'm pretty sure it was because for the throttle input I had (barely ticking over in 2nd and then putting my foot down about for 1/2 throttle), it was insistent that it needed to kick down to 1st when 3rd was ready on the other side of the gearbox.

DSG is only quick on the gear changes when it is switching from the gear you're in to the gear it already has ready. When it predicts you'll want 3rd and then you put it in a situation where it changes its mind and wants 1st, I'd expect it to make do with the gear it's in (2nd) until 1st becomes available rather than giving you nothing until 1st is ready. Twice in 11 months must mean the box finds me pretty predictable!
phillos
Bronze Member
Drives: '19 Polo (AW)

Post by phillos »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:59 pm
MattHGR wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:19 pm

Stop start to blame ?
Nope, I turned stop start off. I'm pretty sure it was because for the throttle input I had (barely ticking over in 2nd and then putting my foot down about for 1/2 throttle), it was insistent that it needed to kick down to 1st when 3rd was ready on the other side of the gearbox.

DSG is only quick on the gear changes when it is switching from the gear you're in to the gear it already has ready. When it predicts you'll want 3rd and then you put it in a situation where it changes its mind and wants 1st, I'd expect it to make do with the gear it's in (2nd) until 1st becomes available rather than giving you nothing until 1st is ready. Twice in 11 months must mean the box finds me pretty predictable!
Decided to read bit about it.

Preselected gear changes, that is when the gearbox has guessed correctly at what gear should be engaged next, is at a mere 8 ms.

While a preselected downshift is at 600ms.

A non-preselected gear change is upwards of 900ms, close so a full second which is going to feel like ages.
johnpolo2
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2022

Post by johnpolo2 »

Three weeks of ownership and I get many compliments regarding the car and even from strangers.
Passengers notice the smoother ride compared to my old 6C. (Which i believe the garage sold within a week, was a nice car)

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:19 pm The DSG had another brain fart today (2 overall to date). Crawled towards a roundabout in 2nd that's always busy and you don't know it's clear to the right until you're just about on it. Saw a gap when I got there, so put my foot down and...nothing for 2/3 of a second, but felt like an eternity.

DO you think the gap could have been too small if you couldn't accelerate for two thirds of a second, would have put you and the car on the roundabout in danger?
Did the car you pulled in front off, have to put his brakes on to avoid you, due to the two thirds of a second delay, do you think you could have found a slightly bigger gap? Just asking :?:
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

silverhairs wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:43 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:19 pm The DSG had another brain fart today (2 overall to date). Crawled towards a roundabout in 2nd that's always busy and you don't know it's clear to the right until you're just about on it. Saw a gap when I got there, so put my foot down and...nothing for 2/3 of a second, but felt like an eternity.

DO you think the gap could have been too small if you couldn't accelerate for two thirds of a second, would have put you and the car on the roundabout in danger?
Did the car you pulled in front off, have to put his brakes on to avoid you, due to the two thirds of a second delay, do you think you could have found a slightly bigger gap? Just asking :?:
I didn't pull out in front of a car, the "gap" I had was a complete absence of a car as far as I could see to my right. Its usually a busy roundabout from my right, with a steady stream of traffic from there.

My view to the right for coming onto the roundabout isn't great as there's a pointy end of terrace house there, with only a tiny strip of kerb between it and the roundabout. You go (quickly) when you can't see a car, because you can't see far enough back on the road to my right that leads to the roundabout to know if something is approaching that isn't imminently about to be on the roundabout.

My point is, in my situation, I expect the DSG to allow me to go, relative to my throttle input in the already selected 2nd gear rather than stuttering until it can get 1st. It is a double of the system in all VAG cars using it - it doesn't seem to respond quickly on the rare occasion that you ask it to do something it wasn't expecting to do.

As Phillos' post shows, the DSG is extremely quick changing into another gear already ready on the other half of the gearbox, but as slow as a manual in selecting a different gear on the same side of the gearbox - in this case deselecting 3rd, to select 1st, because it expected me to need 3rd before I put my foot down.

I may try to persevere with manual mode.
phillos
Bronze Member

Post by phillos »

Picked up mine today!

What a lovely car.

The sound: Who ever said the car was castrated with the OPF/GPF, are deaf. It sounds wonderful even from day 1.
Sure it doesn’t blop and fart on throttle liftoff, but really I’m glad it doesn’t. It does however blurb nicely on upshifts on moderate throttle. I can certainly hear the exhaust all the time.

The ride: I initially specced the 18” rims, but later changed to the 17” and the sport select suspension. After driving it today and feeling the difference between the normal and sport stiffness, I think I would have gone for the 18” and no sport select as I initially specced. Reason being its already pretty firm in normal, while sport really stiffens up the rebound, to almost rock hard, even on the compliant 17” rims with plenty of rubber sidewall.

Only downside, mine has the horrible dashboard sound aktor rattle missound. Its insanely rattle at certain rev ranges, definitely sounds like things are loose somewhere.
Last edited by phillos on Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

Quick questions regarding driving modes.

If you're driving with the car in 'Normal' and switch the gearstick down to 'Sport' does that means everything changes into Sport?

Is there any need to actually put the car into Sport mode via the button/screen select or does changing down with the gear stick cover it?
phillos
Bronze Member

Post by phillos »

S_94 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:11 pm Quick questions regarding driving modes.

If you're driving with the car in 'Normal' and switch the gearstick down to 'Sport' does that means everything changes into Sport?

Is there any need to actually put the car into Sport mode via the button/screen select or does changing down with the gear stick cover it?
Flipping the stick backwards makes the gearbox only change to sport.
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

phillos wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:19 pm

Thanks phillos :)
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

S_94 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:20 pm
phillos wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:19 pm

Thanks phillos :)
S-mode only changes the change up/down thresholds of the gearbox, holding onto the lower gears for longer - and affecting your mpg noticeably. Better to have full throttle sensitivity in Sport mode all the time and gearbox in D than Normal mode on engine and gearbox in S. Then flick gearbox into S if you need it. If you are in Sport mode and bury the throttle, the car will switch to lowest gear your speed will allow (without red lining) to accelerate anyway.